Author Topic: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down  (Read 40297 times)

Re: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
This is Allen Iverson were talking about.  One of the best scorer's of all time.  He is on a whole 'nother level then Billups is.  They may be taking a step back defensively but on offense this team could be devastating.  They now have IMO one of the most talented offenses in the league.  And I really doubt that Iverson will come to Detroit and not be willing to step up his game defensively.  This is the first real shot he's had at winning a title.  His teams in Philly and Denver were exciting but they were never serious title contenders.

If it doesn't work out then you let him go in the offseason and save a ton of money.  But the current Pistons team (with Billups) was done.  They lost their fire and they weren't going to get back to the finals.  Iverson is one of the most competitive players in the league and I'm sure he realizes this might be his best (and final) chance at getting a ring.  

excet that all of rips offense comes off a pass first PG, which AI isn't.

Of course allen will score, but will rip? rip is extremly good at moving off picks and screens and getting a pass from a passing minded PG (billups) Allen is only effective when HE uses picks and creens to get to the rim.

So who is setting up Rip? because it won't be allen, its not his game.

Also, What makes people think defense is a switch you flip on and off? AI just isn't a good on the ball defender, some guys aren't.

Iverson is certainly a capable passer.  He changed his game a bit when he went to Denver and he can change it again in Detroit.  He can score jsut as much and he can find Rip when he is coming off of screens.

I think he can play better defense because he is one of the quickest players in the league and he can stay in front of anybody.  I doubt he was asked to play much D in Denver and there is no way he will get away with not playing defense in Detroit.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This is Allen Iverson were talking about.  One of the best scorer's of all time.  He is on a whole 'nother level then Billups is.  They may be taking a step back defensively but on offense this team could be devastating.  They now have IMO one of the most talented offenses in the league.  And I really doubt that Iverson will come to Detroit and not be willing to step up his game defensively.  This is the first real shot he's had at winning a title.  His teams in Philly and Denver were exciting but they were never serious title contenders.

If it doesn't work out then you let him go in the offseason and save a ton of money.  But the current Pistons team (with Billups) was done.  They lost their fire and they weren't going to get back to the finals.  Iverson is one of the most competitive players in the league and I'm sure he realizes this might be his best (and final) chance at getting a ring.  

excet that all of rips offense comes off a pass first PG, which AI isn't.

Of course allen will score, but will rip? rip is extremly good at moving off picks and screens and getting a pass from a passing minded PG (billups) Allen is only effective when HE uses picks and creens to get to the rim.

So who is setting up Rip? because it won't be allen, its not his game.

Also, What makes people think defense is a switch you flip on and off? AI just isn't a good on the ball defender, some guys aren't.

Iverson is certainly a capable passer.  He changed his game a bit when he went to Denver and he can change it again in Detroit.  He can score jsut as much and he can find Rip when he is coming off of screens.

I think he can play better defense because he is one of the quickest players in the league and he can stay in front of anybody.  I doubt he was asked to play much D in Denver and there is no way he will get away with not playing defense in Detroit.

He's a capable passer, but it hurts his offense. Its not a knock on the guy, i love him, but passing isn't his focus nor should it be. he's an attack dog, you don't ask him to hang back. It didn't work in denver (they moved him to SG, where he focused on scoring and played much better) and it won't work in detroit.

and he WAS one of the quickest players in the league. He's still up thier, but there's plenty of quicker PG's now. Rondo, Ford, Parker, CP3, rose, and more than a few others.

If he was 25 again, i'd be more inclined to agree with you that he can fix things by giving more effort.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't believe the "Nuggets to waive McDyess" angle.

Why would they do that? McDyess would need to be willing to give up 50% of his money or something along those lines. The financial savings don't make sense otherwise, the loss on the court is too big.

McDyess doesn't fit in with the Nuggets direction? They just acquired Chauncey Billups, another wily old vet, and one who has three years at big money left on his contract when they could have had cap space by allowing Iverson to expire.

What dramatic direction are the Nuggets heading into that McDyess can't be part of for 8 months? The idea that McDyess doesn't fit into some youth movement while the Nuggets are taking on salary and an old veteran who's declining is ridiculous to me.

McDyess' contract expires at the end of the season. That's the salary cap flexibility the Nuggets, that's why McDyess was included in the trade and not someone else. They want the flexibility for next summer.

I can't see the Nuggets resigning him unless it's for a relatively minuscule amount. But to waive him now? I don't see it, makes no sense to me.

Well, they just shipped Camby out of town to save money.
It´s not out of the realm of possibility, imo. We´ll see

Which was smart and saved them $20mil a year and allowed them the space to resign a far more valuable player going forward in JR Smith.

Now if someone steps up who's below the cap and is willing to take McDyess' contract off their hands and they can save close to $14mil instantly, will they do that? Yes, I do think so. But that's not the situation at hand.

Hmm, a fan can dream...
It´s nothing more than an internet rumour atm, and your argument makes sense. However, we´ve seen far worse moves than that in the NBA. There are a lot of things that can factor in such a decision. McDyess not wanting to move to the West, for example. Or the economy...
True, and the idea of the Nuggets waiving McDyess is getting a lot of traction in the media which indicates some increased level of likelihood.

It just surprises me, I don't understand why they'd do it. I'm sure we'll find out one way or the other in next few hours/days.

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »

Offline RedsCeltics34

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 45
  • Lets Go Celtics!
Like it for Denver, but not bad for both

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Here are some quotes:
There is one sticking point to the deal, though. McDyess does not want to go to Denver, and a source close to him says "he will not put on a Nuggets uniform" and may opt to retire.

Because of McDyess's objection, the Nuggets may waive the mandatory physical each player in a trade must take in order for the league to approve any deal. McDyess may be seeking a buyout of the remainder of his contract (two years, $13.6 million).

A source with knowledge of the trade discussions says that the Nuggets would be willing to discuss a buyout with McDyess, but only if he agrees to a "significant" amount less than the $13.6 million he's due through the end of the 2009-10 season.

The Nuggets are extremely close to the luxury tax number of $71.1 million. Teams that spend more than that on player salaries have to pay a dollar for dollar penalty if they exceed the amount; every dollar spent above $71.1 million thus costs a team $2 in tax.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/03/nuggets.pistons.trade.ap/index.html

Denver plans to buy out McDyess's contract so it appears he won't actually play for the Nuggets. The trade is also expected to include a young center, Cheikh Samb, going to the Nuggets, according to a source.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10887199

Just to prove that I´m not making stuff up  ;)
McDyess already played for the Nuggets. Maybe he didn´t like it there, or he has a problem with someone in the organization.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I was wrong on McDyess' contract. I thought it ended at the end of this season.

That changes things somewhat. Little more leeway for deal, more opportunity for savings than I initially thought.

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2008, 02:38:07 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
One of Dumar's best moves yet.  He gets the best of both worlds.  

Now he is nicely set up to rebuild during the prime 2010 season, AND he injects some hunger into a lineup that was destined to blow out in the 2nd round this year.  

Detroits ceiling for this season has not changed, and gets even higher for the next 2 years.  

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163

That changes things somewhat. Little more leeway for deal, more opportunity for savings than I initially thought.

i am not sure why mcdyess would get boguht out. if he goes back to DET, this trade is a huge steal for detroit.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

i am not sure why mcdyess would get boguht out. if he goes back to DET, this trade is a huge steal for detroit.
Yes, I still think McDyess stays in Denver.

I'm sure the Nuggets could trade him for an expiring contract if they wanted to save money. Likely get more through that route than buying him out. Maybe the Cavaliers? They're looking for an extra big man.

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I didn't see that coming!

The fans of Detroit must be very upset...by including Mcdyess the Pistons no longer have the size to compete in the East and have developed a log jam at the 2/3 spots with no natural PG...

So the question is: Why would Detroit make this move?

Allen Iverson is in the last year of his contract. And when you combine AI's...  Read More $21 million dollar salary with Rasheed's 13.5 million that is also set to come off the books, you're looking at a combine total of $34.5 million dollars in salary disappearing off of the Pistons payroll this summer.

Good news for Celtics fans! Dumars and the Pistons have entered into familiar territory for us... rebuilding mode.

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I really like this trade for Detroit.

1.) This deal makes Detroit much harder for the Celtics to guard.

2.)Detroit is already a good defensive minded team and can afford to cover up AI's deficiencies on defense....what the Pistons' lacked was the "we need an offensive basket right now" kind of player and they get that in AI.

3.) This deal gives the Pistons just as good a chance (maybe more, maybe less) to win the title this season and still put them in good position, salary wise, for the future.

Bottomline, I feel this deal puts the Pistons that much closer to preventing our title repeat.

The Celtics are the best defensive team in the league, but we have trouble guarding teams with "crazy, hectic" type offensive schemes.

If the game is a controlled, halfcourt style game....we can dictate that type of game with our defense.

A chaotic offensive is harder to predict and we can't cover that up as well (see Indiana, Washington Wizards).

We also seem to have trouble with teams with one legit super scoring machine (Joe Johnson, Lebron, Caron Butler, Danny Granger now?). Detroit will have this in Allen Iverson.

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
we have players to put in front of AI
Tony , rajon, even Eddie
we dont have players to put in front Chauncey
Pruitt??

This deal onlynhelps our matchup against them
specially if they get Dice on the deal

Hopefully if it goes down it will help us

Edgar

Theyre betting too much on Stuckey too.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

2.)Detroit is already a good defensive minded team and can afford to cover up AI's deficiencies on defense....what the Pistons' lacked was the "we need an offensive basket right now" kind of player and they get that in AI.

I disagree with this. Even though he wasn't a big man playing in the middle, Billups was really a defensive anchor for that team. Without him, the Pistons will need more than just the ability to cover AI's deficiencies.

No Ben Wallace. And now no Billups or McDyess. I think the wheels come off the bus on their defense. I'm not saying that they'll be a bad defensive team, but they won't be the defensive stalwarts of years past.

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like this move for Detroit.  It opens up a fair bit of cap room over the next two seasons for the rebuilding that they will need to do.  It also frees up more playing time for Amir Johnson and possibly also Stuckey, which is good. 

For Denver, it will probably help them in the short run -- they should make the playoffs this year with Chauncey at the helm -- but I wonder if this is the type of move that will be regreted in a year or two when they have less cap room than they might have....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I think the Celtics will be more concerned with their own issues than the changing rosters of their opponents.  I didn't feel like Detroit was the Celts biggest threat in the East before this deal, and that opinion hasn't changed. 

It will be good to have Iverson back in the East.
Yup