Author Topic: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down  (Read 40276 times)

Re: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't believe the "Nuggets to waive McDyess" angle.

Why would they do that? McDyess would need to be willing to give up 50% of his money or something along those lines. The financial savings don't make sense otherwise, the loss on the court is too big.

McDyess doesn't fit in with the Nuggets direction? They just acquired Chauncey Billups, another wily old vet, and one who has three years at big money left on his contract when they could have had cap space by allowing Iverson to expire.

What dramatic direction are the Nuggets heading into that McDyess can't be part of for 8 months? The idea that McDyess doesn't fit into some youth movement while the Nuggets are taking on salary and an old veteran who's declining is ridiculous to me.

McDyess' contract expires at the end of the season. That's the salary cap flexibility the Nuggets, that's why McDyess was included in the trade and not someone else. They want the flexibility for next summer.

I can't see the Nuggets resigning him unless it's for a relatively minuscule amount. But to waive him now? I don't see it, makes no sense to me.

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Other than Who a couple posts back, no one has brought up the fact that, with this trade, Detroit becomes positioned to make a huge revamping of its team thanks to ridiculous amounts of expiring contracts this season.

AI represents $21 mil, Sheed nearly another $14 mil. They've cleared Billups and McDyess' numbers off of next year's payroll (about $19 mil saved).

They just locked up Maxiell for about $5 mil a year for the next 4 years. By my rough estimate, the Pistons have somewhere around $38 mil in guaranteed money for next year, assuming they don't trade Rip Hamilton for another expiring deal. They can either trade those expiring contracts for younger talent, or let them come off the books and land a big-time free agent (Wade, Melo, etc.) this summer to round out the Stuckey/Afflalo/Amir/Maxiell/Prince core.

Joe D will be busy this season.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Why would they do that? McDyess would need to be willing to give up 50% of his money or something along those lines. The financial savings don't make sense otherwise, the loss on the court is too big.

McDyess doesn't fit in with the Nuggets direction? They just acquired Chauncey Billups, another wily old vet, and one who has three years at big money left on his contract when they could have had cap space by allowing Iverson to expire.

What dramatic direction are the Nuggets heading into that McDyess can't be part of for 8 months? The idea that McDyess doesn't fit into some youth movement while the Nuggets are taking on salary and an old veteran who's declining is ridiculous to me.

McDyess' contract expires at the end of the season. That's the salary cap flexibility the Nuggets, that's why McDyess was included in the trade and not someone else. They want the flexibility for next summer.

I can't see the Nuggets resigning him unless it's for a relatively minuscule amount. But to waive him now? I don't see it, makes no sense to me.

Well, they just shipped Camby out of town to save money.
It´s not out of the realm of possibility, imo. We´ll see
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The trade would make a lot more sense for Denver if they still had Camby. 

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Which was smart and saved them $20mil a year and allowed them the space to resign a far more valuable player going forward in JR Smith.

Now if someone steps up who's below the cap and is willing to take McDyess' contract off their hands and they can save close to $14mil instantly, will they do that? Yes, I do think so. But that's not the situation at hand.

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
This is Allen Iverson were talking about.  One of the best scorer's of all time.  He is on a whole 'nother level then Billups is.  They may be taking a step back defensively but on offense this team could be devastating.  They now have IMO one of the most talented offenses in the league.  And I really doubt that Iverson will come to Detroit and not be willing to step up his game defensively.  This is the first real shot he's had at winning a title.  His teams in Philly and Denver were exciting but they were never serious title contenders.

If it doesn't work out then you let him go in the offseason and save a ton of money.  But the current Pistons team (with Billups) was done.  They lost their fire and they weren't going to get back to the finals.  Iverson is one of the most competitive players in the league and I'm sure he realizes this might be his best (and final) chance at getting a ring.  
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This is Allen Iverson were talking about.  One of the best scorer's of all time.  He is on a whole 'nother level then Billups is.  They may be taking a step back defensively but on offense this team could be devastating.  They now have IMO one of the most talented offenses in the league.  And I really doubt that Iverson will come to Detroit and not be willing to step up his game defensively.  This is the first real shot he's had at winning a title.  His teams in Philly and Denver were exciting but they were never serious title contenders.

If it doesn't work out then you let him go in the offseason and save a ton of money.  But the current Pistons team (with Billups) was done.  They lost their fire and they weren't going to get back to the finals.  Iverson is one of the most competitive players in the league and I'm sure he realizes this might be his best (and final) chance at getting a ring.  

excet that all of rips offense comes off a pass first PG, which AI isn't.

Of course allen will score, but will rip? rip is extremly good at moving off picks and screens and getting a pass from a passing minded PG (billups) Allen is only effective when HE uses picks and creens to get to the rim.

So who is setting up Rip? because it won't be allen, its not his game.

Also, What makes people think defense is a switch you flip on and off? AI just isn't a good on the ball defender, some guys aren't.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
So who is setting up Rip? because it won't be allen.

Joe Dumars, for Rip to get traded. HIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Which was smart and saved them $20mil a year and allowed them the space to resign a far more valuable player going forward in JR Smith.

Now if someone steps up who's below the cap and is willing to take McDyess' contract off their hands and they can save close to $14mil instantly, will they do that? Yes, I do think so. But that's not the situation at hand.

Hmm, a fan can dream...
It´s nothing more than an internet rumour atm, and your argument makes sense. However, we´ve seen far worse moves than that in the NBA. There are a lot of things that can factor in such a decision. McDyess not wanting to move to the West, for example. Or the economy...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
No more Anthony Carter in the starting lineup, and finally JR Smith can earn the minutes that he deserves. JR Smith's extension is now going to look the steal that it was, and I expect him up around 20ppg.

A trio of Billups, JR Smith, Carmelo Anthony is one of the best starting perimeter groups in the league.

I hated the effect Iverson had on Carmelo Anthony's game. Prior to Iverson's arrival, Melo was dropping 31ppg on 50% shooting while doing a very good job both moving without the basketball and sharing the rock. He was scarily efficient. I hope he can get back to that high quality basketball with Iverson's ball dominating ways gone. Melo has a good shot at the scoring title now.

The Nuggets were a fast break team last year, first of all. Second of all, Carmelo shot a career high from the field last year, even with the "ball-hogging" AI next to him.

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I`ve heard that the Nuggets want to waive McDyess.

Maybe we can snag him up, like Phoenix tried with Barry last season? ;D

Wouldn't he just go back to detroit??

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2008, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So who is setting up Rip? because it won't be allen.

Joe Dumars, for Rip to get traded. HIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lol TP, that was good. :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2008, 02:04:13 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Other than Who a couple posts back, no one has brought up the fact that, with this trade, Detroit becomes positioned to make a huge revamping of its team thanks to ridiculous amounts of expiring contracts this season.

AI represents $21 mil, Sheed nearly another $14 mil. They've cleared Billups and McDyess' numbers off of next year's payroll (about $19 mil saved).

They just locked up Maxiell for about $5 mil a year for the next 4 years. By my rough estimate, the Pistons have somewhere around $38 mil in guaranteed money for next year, assuming they don't trade Rip Hamilton for another expiring deal. They can either trade those expiring contracts for younger talent, or let them come off the books and land a big-time free agent (Wade, Melo, etc.) this summer to round out the Stuckey/Afflalo/Amir/Maxiell/Prince core.

Joe D will be busy this season.

I'm looking at the 09 free agent class and there are a couple names on there that would be interesting to think of from Detroit's angle. Looking at that core, it seems like they are missing a true big man and a PG (assuming stuckey plays the 2... If he's the 1 with Afflalo at the 2 then nevermind). Assuming they don't make any trades and let the space run off, I think Boozer is a legitimate low post option for them (I don't see them making a run at Jermaine O'Neal). Wait one more year, and maybe Chandler, Bosh, Camby, Kenyon Martin, O'Neal or Pryzbilla in 2010. There are big men out there in 2010, if they are content to wait. If not, who knows.

For the PGs, maybe Andre Miller, Bibby, or Marcus Williams, depending on what they see in him.

Then again, there is the obvious move for the Pistons: sign Antoine.  
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Is there a possibility of starting Rip at the 3 and just going small? Bring Prince off the bench. We all agree that Rip is best fit to have a distributing PG to get him the ball and that AI is better off as a 2.

On Denver's side, let's be honest here. Billups has been declining for years, had a brief peak with Detroit in 2004 and hasn't done much in the playoffs since...This is a huge upgrade talent wise for Detroit.

Giving JR Smith more minutes isn't a great thing for Denver. He's a bad defender. Billups has lost a step defensively in the last five years. Adding McDyess is an obvious plus and gives Denver more balance.

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think Rondo can blow by Billups a lot easier than he can blow by AI.