Author Topic: Andrew Bynum last night.  (Read 15013 times)

Re: Andrew Bynum last night.
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
So far we have only seen Bynum play in the  preseason and aganist 2 not so good teams from the west.Oden got hurt midway thru his debut,and the Clippers Tim Thomas and Kamen were no match for him.The test will be when he has to face some better competition.Its way to early to say he is a top tier C but i can see the potential of him becoming much better and good enough to help the Lakers go deep this season.Would anyone trade him for Perkins straight up right now?Do you think he is a better C than Perkins already or could he potentially become a better C than Perkins in the long term?

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'll take Horford defensively over Bynum any day. The kid just knows what it takes to win and has a "I'm pee'ed off" attitude that great defensive centers need. In LA. in place of Bynum, Horford, after having already won two NCAA titles, would be a superstar putting up much larger numbers than Bynum would.

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2008, 03:35:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
if Bynum played for the Celtics, this board would explode.

There would be some unprecedented comparison about how the world has never seen a dominant force in any realm of sport that matches the godliness of Andrew Bynum.  A offensive/defensive dynamo that is equal parts Shaq, Bill Russell, Kareem and god himself... except more agile, athletic and aggressive.  20 years old?  Half of you would be naming your first born "Bynum".

Meanwhile... if Rondo played for the Lakers this board would have at least one bitter thread that said, "Give me a break.  Just because he plays for the media darling Lakers... 10 points and 5 assists is NOT good for a point guard.  He's 22 years old.  He'll never make an allstar team.  Total joke.  If someone like Raymond Felton or TJ Ford played for the Lakers instead, you would never hear about Rondo"

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2008, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
So far we have only seen Bynum play in the  preseason and aganist 2 not so good teams from the west.Oden got hurt midway thru his debut,and the Clippers Tim Thomas and Kamen were no match for him.The test will be when he has to face some better competition.Its way to early to say he is a top tier C but i can see the potential of him becoming much better and good enough to help the Lakers go deep this season.Would anyone trade him for Perkins straight up right now?Do you think he is a better C than Perkins already or could he potentially become a better C than Perkins in the long term?
Yes, long term he should easily outdistance Perk in regards to being a more complete player. But right now, right this instant, who would be the better fit of a player on this team. Well, obviously from the ridiculous contract that the Lakers just gave Bynum it would be Perk and also because I don't think Bynum is at Perk's defensive level just yet. But next year, yeah, Bynum should be a much better fit here than Perk. If he doesn't improve or if he comes down with Greg Oden disease then I reserve the right to retract that statement.

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Yes, long term he should easily outdistance Perk in regards to being a more complete player. But right now, right this instant, who would be the better fit of a player on this team. Well, obviously from the ridiculous contract that the Lakers just gave Bynum it would be Perk and also because I don't think Bynum is at Perk's defensive level just yet. But next year, yeah, Bynum should be a much better fit here than Perk. If he doesn't improve or if he comes down with Greg Oden disease then I reserve the right to retract that statement.

If Perk played for the Lakers we'd be calling him a poor man's Adonal Foyle.

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

There would be some unprecedented comparison about how the world has never seen a dominant force in any realm of sport that matches the godliness of Andrew Bynum.  A offensive/defensive dynamo that is equal parts Shaq, Bill Russell, Kareem and god himself... except more agile, athletic and aggressive.  20 years old?  Half of you would be naming your first born "Bynum".

Considering none of my kids are named Larry, Pierce or Bill, i seriously doubt that. Also, I don't even think Pierce is the best player in the league, even after the Finals MVP. I have argued that Garnett is a great defensive player but not any longer a top 8 player in the league, that Rondo has All-Star potential but is at least a year or more away from it, I chastize Tony Allen all to hell, and was critical of our bench all off season, I doubt I would have that opinion on Bynum.

I also think you don't give the membership of this community nearly enough credit for being able to see the difference between talent and hype. No one is arguing the kid isn't talented, just that he needs to prove that he is as talented as people say he is and to maintain that over a period of time that is longer than a high school basketball season. Maybe like a professional basketball season or two.

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
i'm a fan of nickagneta.   

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
i'm a fan of nickagneta.   
LOL. That got quite the laugh. TP4U for that and another when I can because you bring some semblance of reality to the subject.
I'm a LarBrd33 fan, myself!

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So far we have only seen Bynum play in the  preseason and aganist 2 not so good teams from the west.Oden got hurt midway thru his debut,and the Clippers Tim Thomas and Kamen were no match for him.The test will be when he has to face some better competition.Its way to early to say he is a top tier C but i can see the potential of him becoming much better and good enough to help the Lakers go deep this season.Would anyone trade him for Perkins straight up right now?Do you think he is a better C than Perkins already or could he potentially become a better C than Perkins in the long term?

Are you just forgetting about last season, or do you just want him to prove he is over the injury?

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Meanwhile... if Rondo played for the Lakers this board would have at least one bitter thread that said, "Give me a break.  Just because he plays for the media darling Lakers... 10 points and 5 assists is NOT good for a point guard.  He's 22 years old.  He'll never make an allstar team.  Total joke.  If someone like Raymond Felton or TJ Ford played for the Lakers instead, you would never hear about Rondo"

Half the board values the celtic players highly and half the board values players on other teams higher. Look at all the "Big Al will never be an all-star" posts, or the "Big Al will regress when he signs a new contrat" posts. Look at all the "Perk will never be good enough to be a starter on a contending  team" or "any advantage we get from the big 3 will be lost through Rondo and Perk" posts from last year. Your characterization of this board is way off.

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Exactly, just because you think a certain way that doesn't seem to be shared by everyone it doesn't mean they aren't understanding (love that) or that they have some bias.  It might be just that they don't agree with you. 

Perkins is more valuable to the C's than Bynum would be and whether that jives with what you're inundated with on a daily basis is not that important.

If you actually heard someone make those types of comparisons about Bynum you should run away very fast.

And Pierce is more valuable than Kobe.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Pretty massive risk by the Lakers. Bynum is getting set to meet his first real dose of massive expectations. He got that kind of dough for what amounts to 20 games of decent production last year. Wow, I wish I could have a good month at work and get that kind of pay raise. Of course, 12 and 9 isn't going to justify 14 mill a year. Expectations will be even greater for A-Bomb now. Is he at a point where they don't crush him? Laker fans already count on him to deliver more rings, what if he doesn't perform up to expectations? Interesting story developing..

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
So far we have only seen Bynum play in the  preseason and aganist 2 not so good teams from the west.Oden got hurt midway thru his debut,and the Clippers Tim Thomas and Kamen were no match for him.The test will be when he has to face some better competition.Its way to early to say he is a top tier C but i can see the potential of him becoming much better and good enough to help the Lakers go deep this season.Would anyone trade him for Perkins straight up right now?Do you think he is a better C than Perkins already or could he potentially become a better C than Perkins in the long term?

Are you just forgetting about last season, or do you just want him to prove he is over the injury?
Not forgetting anything and yes he has to prove that he is not injury prone in order to be considered as a good player(imo).I ask the questions about Bynum vs Perk not so much as im in favor of Bynum over Perk as much as im interested in others feelings about him.If i sounded like i prefer Bynum than Perk as a C for our team, thats simply not the case.Bynum worth and role on the Lakers is almost similar to Perk's on the C's.He doesn't have to reach superstar status or become a top C in the league to be of value to the Lakers.Just as Perk was probably average to good as a C,whereas they didn't need him to be a top tier C to be successful.As long as Bynum can remain healthy,improve on defense during the regular season,they can probably live with that.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:31:33 PM by housecall »

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2008, 12:08:51 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Not forgetting anything and yes he has to prove that he is not injury prone in order to be considered as a good player(imo).I ask the questions about Bynum vs Perk not so much as im in favor of Bynum over Perk as much as im interested in others feelings about him.If i sounded like i prefer Bynum than Perk as a C for our team, thats simply not the case.Bynum worth and role on the Lakers is almost similar to Perk's on the C's.He doesn't have to reach superstar status or become a top C in the league to be of value to the Lakers.Just as Perk was probably average to good as a C,whereas they didn't need him to be a top tier C to be successful.As long as Bynum can remain healthy,improve on defense during the regular season,they can probably live with that.   
Sure their roles are similar. They are starting Centers. I'd don't see them as being particularly similar beyond that.