Author Topic: There's no one to hate on this years squad?  (Read 4569 times)

Re: There's no one to hate on this years squad?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 01:52:46 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
People will always find somebody to dislike on the team if they're so inclined.

In terms of effort and personality I think this team should be nearly unassailable.

Fingers crossed.

It seems setup to be a feisty over achieving squad.

I'd like to see some feistiness, some of that old Celtics intensity. Marcus Smart has got that, and it looks like a good bet that he takes on more leadership this season.

I was so encouraged to see Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams defending in Summer League, getting physical and getting in their man's airspace.

Hoping to see some high-velocity, high-intensity, ultra-switchable lineups this spring, like Edwards/Smart/Brown/Ojeleye or Grant Williams/Robert Williams.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 02:12:54 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
this is a classic Stevens team. He likes underrated teams.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 02:28:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The whipping boy will likely be Brown imo, people are gushing over Hayward already so I expect him and Tatum (to a lesser degree) to be shafted in favour of golden boy because of the "HURR DURR WE PAID 30 MILLION FOR HIM SO HE NEEDS TO BE GIVEN A SUPERSTAR'S LEASH" logic. Here's hoping that Brown and Tatum get the opportunity they deserve, and Hayward is required to prove that he's good enough to take away shots from them.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 04:04:25 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The all time most hated in this blog had to be James Young. His first year in Beantime made me cringe almost every time I read anything about him. Fortunately, he improved somewhat. Thus, the hate subsided to a tolerable degree.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 05:18:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The whipping boy will likely be Brown imo, people are gushing over Hayward already so I expect him and Tatum (to a lesser degree) to be shafted in favour of golden boy because of the "HURR DURR WE PAID 30 MILLION FOR HIM SO HE NEEDS TO BE GIVEN A SUPERSTAR'S LEASH" logic. Here's hoping that Brown and Tatum get the opportunity they deserve, and Hayward is required to prove that he's good enough to take away shots from them.
I really don't understand how people can be upset with Brown overall.  He plays with effort on both ends, he's not a jerk, he works hard, he doesn't tweet stupid things, he is a competitor who wants to win games...  He seems like the most hate proof guy we've had when it comes to physically competing hard, playing well and being a quality guy personality wise.  I see a lot less to criticize than with most other players.  The only thing that annoys me with him is free throw shooting but that's very minor overall.

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 05:43:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Give it time.................Hayward does not come back strong and he will be hated I would wager.

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 07:50:15 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Realistically, it could be Coach Stevens and/or Danny Ainge, rather than any one player that gets most of the criticism.

Since there aren't any real superstars on this team, discerning which player or players should play or sit won't be easy. This may lead to a lot of second guessing within the organization and the fans. Especially if the team isn't winning.

Also, we already know the center position is weak. This may cause nightmares all season long. Danny could end up taking a hard hit in this regard.

Personally, I'm not sold on signing Kemba. Hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, Danny will get the blame if he doesn't provide a synergistic boost. I realize that's a minority opinion. I'll wait until the season begins before admitting I'm wrong.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 08:23:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This going to be a very likable team this year. The two most hate-able players are gone in Kyrie and Rozier. Who do you think this blog will have to hate on this year. I am at a loss.  :o
Many of us were not big fans of selfish Marcus Morris either.

On the other hand, I will miss a Al Horford, and now I have to try to hate him, which will be tough.  Same thing with Aron Baynes, always loved his spirit.

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I don’t think I have ever hated a Celtics player.  I although I have been disappointed in some, I always felt that they had the capability to improve. I have been very disappointed in some of the management and some fans...the lack of support and tearing down of individual players has been a detriment to the team in my opinion.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This going to be a very likable team this year. The two most hate-able players are gone in Kyrie and Rozier. Who do you think this blog will have to hate on this year. I am at a loss.  :o
hate's a strong term.  dislike or frustrating may be more fitting.

I think the only Celtic player I actually hated was Mark Blount. 

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Understood, but I think most people understand "hate" in a sports context is a bit different and not the literal meaning.  Even Mark Blount: I too 'hate' what he did to the Celtics but I do not hate him as person.  How could I?  I never met him and he never hurt anyone as far as I know.

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 10:03:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I really don't understand how people can be upset with Brown overall.  He plays with effort on both ends, he's not a jerk, he works hard, he doesn't tweet stupid things, he is a competitor who wants to win games...  He seems like the most hate proof guy we've had when it comes to physically competing hard, playing well and being a quality guy personality wise.  I see a lot less to criticize than with most other players.  The only thing that annoys me with him is free throw shooting but that's very minor overall.
I think it's because he doesn't really exhibit the qualities people like when it comes to their "perceived" stars.

Most NBA fans notice (and like) the classic floor raiser, which has some of, if not all of the qualities which I'm going to list below:
1. Strong traditional isolation scoring (score 1 on 1 with a triple/double threat)
2. Strong creation ability (creation is the ability to draw in defenders and get your teammates open)
3. Decent to strong passing (not as important though, there can be "stars" who can't really pass)

Brown hasn't shown that he's great in any of those fields: he's a decent isolation scorer in the mid post, but his average handle limits him in terms of throwing defenders into the mixer and getting tough shots off. His creation is also around average-he can draw some attention when he has a full head of steam driving downhill or in the mid post, but he's not a guy who commands constant defensive attention from multiple defenders. His passing is neutral-he has shown flashes of making high leverage passes (especially in FIBA), but he still occasionally misses the easy read and flubs some passes.

However, what Brown is that makes me think he's a high impact player who's on the cusp of stardom is:
1. Above average three point shooting (putting more stock into his sophomore season than this season, where he was shooting with a fractured hand in the first couple of months) that can space the floor and open the lane for isolationists
2. Good straight line dribble drive player who can attack closeouts, and has shown flashes of being able to finish with more advanced moves
3. Improving passing to make high leverage passes occasionally to provide additive value to high quality offenses
4. Strong mid post game that imo can develop into a reliable way of above average efficiency volume scoring by drawing fouls with his size advantage over SGs plus athleticism

These qualities are more slanted towards a ceiling raiser than a floor raiser, who provides scalable offense and plus defense that is valuable to high quality teams.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:09:39 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think it's because he doesn't really exhibit the qualities people like when it comes to their "perceived" stars.

Most NBA fans notice (and like) the classic floor raiser, which has some of, if not all of the qualities which I'm going to list below:
1. Strong traditional isolation scoring (score 1 on 1 with a triple/double threat)
2. Strong creation ability (creation is the ability to draw in defenders and get your teammates open)
3. Decent to strong passing (not as important though, there can be "stars" who can't really pass)

Brown hasn't shown that he's great in any of those fields: he's a decent isolation scorer in the mid post, but his average handle limits him in terms of throwing defenders into the mixer and getting tough shots off. His creation is also around average-he can draw some attention when he has a full head of steam driving downhill or in the mid post, but he's not a guy who commands constant defensive attention from multiple defenders. His passing is neutral-he has shown flashes of making high leverage passes (especially in FIBA), but he still occasionally misses the easy read and flubs some passes.

However, what Brown is that makes me think he's a high impact player who's on the cusp of stardom is:
1. Above average three point shooting (putting more stock into his sophomore season than this season, where he was shooting with a fractured hand in the first couple of months) that can space the floor and open the lane for isolationists
2. Good straight line dribble drive player who can attack closeouts, and has shown flashes of being able to finish with more advanced moves
3. Improving passing to make high leverage passes occasionally to provide additive value to high quality offenses
4. Strong mid post game that imo can develop into a reliable way of above average efficiency volume scoring by drawing fouls with his size advantage over SGs plus athleticism

These qualities are more slanted towards a ceiling raiser than a floor raiser, who provides scalable offense and plus defense that is valuable to high quality teams.
Scalable offense, as in Scalabrine-like?  ;)  I guess it just depends on what a person's expectations of him are.  From my initial impression of him until now he has probably exceeded my expectations so I don't see much to complain about.  He looks like he will be a number 2 or possibly 3 guy on a very good team some day, which is cool with me.

Tatum, on the other hand, made me think he was surely headed for stardom after his first year which made me very disappointed in his stagnation and even regression in some areas last year.  The low level of effort and hustle was especially disappointing because that is something that he can easily control.

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Scalable offense, as in Scalabrine-like?  ;)  I guess it just depends on what a person's expectations of him are.  From my initial impression of him until now he has probably exceeded my expectations so I don't see much to complain about.  He looks like he will be a number 2 or possibly 3 guy on a very good team some day, which is cool with me.

Tatum, on the other hand, made me think he was surely headed for stardom after his first year which made me very disappointed in his stagnation and even regression in some areas last year.  The low level of effort and hustle was especially disappointing because that is something that he can easily control.
Lol good joke, but Scalabrine really only had shooting as a scalable skill on offense. And I'm not too concerned about Tatum, his effort seems to be fixable judging from his performance in FIBA. Obviously he needs to develop an offensive game that draws more fouls to spike efficiency, as well as some go to moves that make his offense more resilient to tough defense (aside from his inefficient midrange pullups with a defender all over him), but I think the building blocks are there to give him a good chance at an All-NBA peak at least.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Hate is a strong term but Rozier drove me crazy all of last year. He should've been benched or traded. He had a horrible attitude from the start of the year.