Author Topic: Is Wanamaker better than Rozier?  (Read 2499 times)

Re: Is Wanamaker better than Rozier?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I wish we had another Shane Larkin, or even a Phil Pressey type... Someone to push the tempo, hustle back on defense, even if they suck at it, the effort/grit and grind mentality rubs on other players.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 12:05:16 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Wannamaker could easily take Terry's minutes.

Rid ourselves of Terry before we get nothing for him. Even if Irving does walk...Terry isn't a point guard, he's an undersized shooting guard that has a cool nickname "Scary Terry."  The problem is...Terry thinks he's really scary.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Wannamaker could easily take Terry's minutes.

Rid ourselves of Terry before we get nothing for him. Even if Irving does walk...Terry isn't a point guard, he's an undersized shooting guard that has a cool nickname "Scary Terry."  The problem is...Terry thinks he's really scary.

Terry is flawed but I think he could be a valuable PG/SG on a legitimate contender.  He has a much easier time playing within a system when minutes are guaranteed.  His rebounding and clutch shot making would fit just fine on a team that had a couple of Superstars.  For example, let's pretend that Terry started alongside Harden in Houston.  How does he not help that team in some capacity?

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
For the season Rozier is shooting 37% from the field, 35% from three, and 77% from the line. He had almost the exact same numbers last year. He is what he is.

Wanamaker is shooting 43% from the field, 44% from three, and 91% from the line. Wanamaker is clearly a better shooter.

For that reason, I would like to see him get a chance to play. We need guys who can make threes.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
For the season Rozier is shooting 37% from the field, 35% from three, and 77% from the line. He had almost the exact same numbers last year. He is what he is.

Wanamaker is shooting 43% from the field, 44% from three, and 91% from the line. Wanamaker is clearly a better shooter.

For that reason, I would like to see him get a chance to play. We need guys who can make threes.

He’s clearly a better passer too, since it’s hard to be worse than TR.

I agree that TR is the better player but he doesn’t look like the better backup to me. Or if it’s not clear, Wanamaker deserves another look.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
It's really hard to say given the small sample size of Wannamaker's playtime. There were def moments where Shane Larkin looked better than TR last year too but overall probably not.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Rozier is almost definitely the better player but Wannamaker might actually be better in the role Terry is in right now. It wouldn't surprise me if the team were better giving Wannamaker some of Terry's minutes.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No

But I do miss Larkin

I still understand why Ainge didnt resign him

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Y. E.  S

Rozier got his chance but he is Antoine Walker like in terms of talent... Need a high usage and a whole lot of crap shot selection to even be effective.

Did you ever watch Antoine play? The dude may have had iffy shot selection at times (during a time when many star players shot low percentages), but he was a 3x all-star and inspirational leader of our fairly successful team for years. He then went on to be the 3rd best player on a championship team.

I know this is not an Antoine thread, but it drives me crazy how people just compare him to anybody who blows at shooting...on a side note, I actually think Rozier can be quite a good shooter and is quite obviously a better player than Wanamaker. It’s all in his head right now.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I came here this morning to start a conversation about this. Haven't had time to respond.

The contrast in their game couldn't be sharper. Rozier is explosive. He can score in bunches, slash to the rim for a dunk, hit big threes, get key steals, and soar for defensive rebounds.

But his feel for the game has always been wildly lacking. Sometimes he looks great. Other times, he doesn't.

Wannamaker, on the other hand, is more steady. His feel for the game is superb for a bench guard. I don't think he can make the same kind of explosive plays as Rozier, but he is a much steadier option to run an offense.

Under Wannamaker the offense is more likely to get consistent good looks and less likely to go on a huge run. Under Rozier the offense is less likely to get consistent good looks and more likely to go on a huge run.

I haven't seen enough of Wannamaker to confidently think he could play a JJ Barea role, but maybe he could. I've seen enough of Rozier to want Brad to put him in for 4 minutes and see if a few shots fall. Bench if they don't and play him longer if they do.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 04:03:50 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I came here this morning to start a conversation about this. Haven't had time to respond.

The contrast in their game couldn't be sharper. Rozier is explosive. He can score in bunches, slash to the rim for a dunk, hit big threes, get key steals, and soar for defensive rebounds.

But his feel for the game has always been wildly lacking. Sometimes he looks great. Other times, he doesn't.

Wannamaker, on the other hand, is more steady. His feel for the game is superb for a bench guard. I don't think he can make the same kind of explosive plays as Rozier, but he is a much steadier option to run an offense.

Under Wannamaker the offense is more likely to get consistent good looks and less likely to go on a huge run. Under Rozier the offense is less likely to get consistent good looks and more likely to go on a huge run.

I haven't seen enough of Wannamaker to confidently think he could play a JJ Barea role, but maybe he could. I've seen enough of Rozier to want Brad to put him in for 4 minutes and see if a few shots fall. Bench if they don't and play him longer if they do.

Wanamaker ate Barea alive the other day. The only time I have ever seen a Celtic who could cover him. Barea usually kills us.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

thats fair analysis.  Rozier is either going to massively help your effort that night  or screw up the thing .  There is not much in between ,  his inbetween is worthless D league end of bench at best.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 04:21:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Overall, no. As a backup, hopefully Wanamaker takes a good chunk of Rozier's regular minutes and shows what he's capable of.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Sadly, I think so.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
He is better for the role we want Rozier to play.