Author Topic: Where Irving is Right  (Read 5047 times)

Re: Where Irving is Right
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
This link contains video of the play in question. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/why-was-kyrie-irving-so-angry-celtics-final-play

Hayward chooses to pass to Tatum rather than inbounding to Horford because Tatum gets a step on Iwundu.  I don't have an issue with this decision.  The problem is that Tatum doesn't use his advantage.  He slows and cuts toward the corner to make the catch 18 feet from the basket, allowing Iwundu to catch up, and his only real choice is the play for the shot that he ended up getting - a contested fadeaway 18 footer.  I don't know if this is what Stevens wanted, or if this is just Tatum being Tatum. 

I would have wanted Tatum to cut to the baseline instead of the corner.  It's a more difficult angle for Hayward, but it gives Tatum more options.  He can play for a much shorter jumpshot if he chooses.  Or, he can drive to the rim.  Tatum's length would make it difficult for Iwundu to contest from behind, but he'd probably have to finish around Isaac's help defense.  Personally I'd take my chances with that.

Ok well if not for this

What would have Irving done better?

He was like 7 ft away from Hayward, with his man stuck to him like glue.   When the ref gives Hayward the ball, Irving is not even trying to get away from his defender

I don't understand in this situation, why Stevens wouldn't revert to the old double/triple pick strategy (both Irving and Tatum running around the screens) .  And two players who set the picks (Horford and Williams for example) rolling to the basket for an alley/catch fake and shoot near the basket opportunity

just *facepalm*

The Celtics have run this play before, with both Kyrie and IT.  Kyrie is not supposed to take off until Horford receives the inbounds pass.  The timing with less than three seconds would have been tight but manageable.

I saw a twitter post that very clearly showed the setup/execution on previous versions of this play, but unfortunately I didn't save it and I don't feel like sorting through twitter crap to find it again.

Yes but I believe Horford was covered tightly as well

You want to excute this but its not going to happen all the time

With 3 sec left how easy is it to make two quick passes and get a clean shot off?

Need at least 5 sec

No.  Don't need nearly that much time. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/HalfCourtHoops/status/1084278355367731209

Watch the first play in this clip - it's probably exactly what Brad drew up against the Magic.  Also, notice that only two seconds came off of the clock in this instance.  There was enough time to run this play. 

Rather than waiting for this to develop, Hayward saw that Tatum had a step on Iwundu and chose to go to him instead.
I watched both plays in the clip.  In the 1st play, the Griz defender on Kyrie was a complete idiot.  Ballwatching and reacting to inbounder raising the ball by jumping the passing lane to Irving made it really easy for Irving to blow by him and get to the basket.  The 2nd play was defended better with Irving being forced to pass to Horford who doesn't get the shot off until 4 seconds have run off the clock. 

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 07:05:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/why-was-kyrie-irving-so-angry-celtics-final-play

Hayward chooses to pass to Tatum rather than inbounding to Horford because Tatum gets a step on Iwundu.  I don't have an issue with this decision.  The problem is that Tatum doesn't use his advantage.  He slows and cuts toward the corner to make the catch 18 feet from the basket, allowing Iwundu to catch up, and his only real choice is the play for the shot that he ended up getting - a contested fadeaway 18 footer.  I don't know if this is what Stevens wanted, or if this is just Tatum being Tatum. 

I would have wanted Tatum to cut to the baseline instead of the corner.  It's a more difficult angle for Hayward, but it gives Tatum more options.  He can play for a much shorter jumpshot if he chooses.  Or, he can drive to the rim.  Tatum's length would make it difficult for Iwundu to contest from behind, but he'd probably have to finish around Isaac's help defense.  Personally I'd take my chances with that.

Ok well if not for this

He was like 7 ft away from Hayward, with his man stuck to him like glue.   When the ref gives Hayward the ball, Irving is not even trying to get away from his defender

I don't understand in this situation, why Stevens wouldn't revert to the old double/triple pick strategy (both Irving and Tatum running around the screens) .  And two players who set the picks (Horford and Williams for example) rolling to the basket for an alley/catch fake and shoot near the basket opportunity

just *facepalm*

The Celtics have run this play before, with both Kyrie and IT.  Kyrie is not supposed to take off until Horford receives the inbounds pass.  The timing with less than three seconds would have been tight but manageable.

I saw a twitter post that very clearly showed the setup/execution on previous versions of this play, but unfortunately I didn't save it and I don't feel like sorting through twitter crap to find it again.

With 3 sec left how easy is it to make two quick passes and get a clean shot off?

Need at least 5 sec

Watch the first play in this clip - it's probably exactly what Brad drew up against the Magic.  Also, notice that only two seconds came off of the clock in this instance.  There was enough time to run this play. 

Rather than waiting for this to develop, Hayward saw that Tatum had a step on Iwundu and chose to go to him instead.
I watched both plays in the clip.  In the 1st play, the Griz defender on Kyrie was a complete idiot.  Ballwatching and reacting to inbounder raising the ball by jumping the passing lane to Irving made it really easy for Irving to blow by him and get to the basket.  The 2nd play was defended better with Irving being forced to pass to Horford who doesn't get the shot off until 4 seconds have run off the clock.

First clip is IT, not Kyrie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Ok well if not for this

just *facepalm*

Need at least 5 sec

First clip is IT, not Kyrie.

Exactly

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
During the timeout, after Stevens drew up the play, Kyrie seemed to be complaining about something... Which is weird, if the play was originally drawn up for Horford to hand off to Kyrie.  I wonder what that was all about.

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Ok well if not for this

just *facepalm*

Need at least 5 sec

TP. That was the play. When Brad Stevens draws up an OTO, you should probably run it. Not because it's guaranteed to work, but because it probably gives you a better chance than anything else.

The play had several options. Kyrie via Horford was one. Tatum was one.

Is getting “the next Paul Pierce” a shot such a bad option?
It is a really bad option if you are trying to retain a player like Kyrie next year.  Horford fully expected to receive the ball there, that is perfectly clear by his reaction following the inbound to Tatum.  Hayward made a tactical error 2 seconds into the developing play.  Kyrie let Hayward know that is unacceptable as it should be under the circumstances.
If Kyrie leaves because a teammate took a last second shot, good riddance.

It’s not unacceptable at all. Tatum is an excellent player who can make shots.  He took a makeable shot.
It is not because Tatum took a last second shot.  It is because a Tatum fade away should never ever be the 1st option there.  If Brad drew that play up and Tatum was not just a decoy but  was actually the 1st option, then Brad should be crucified.  If the play blows up then sure go to Tatum in the corner for that less desirable shot.  Not going to your star player there who had just been instrumental in the comeback is dumb and every star/quasi star in the league will take umbrage  at the thought.  If the play was a lob to Tatum with Kyrie as a decoy then that is entirely different.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 07:45:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ok well if not for this

just *facepalm*

Need at least 5 sec

TP. That was the play. When Brad Stevens draws up an OTO, you should probably run it. Not because it's guaranteed to work, but because it probably gives you a better chance than anything else.

It is a really bad option if you are trying to retain a player like Kyrie next year.  Horford fully expected to receive the ball there, that is perfectly clear by his reaction following the inbound to Tatum.  Hayward made a tactical error 2 seconds into the developing play.  Kyrie let Hayward know that is unacceptable as it should be under the circumstances.

It’s not unacceptable at all. Tatum is an excellent player who can make shots.  He took a makeable shot.
It is not because Tatum took a last second shot.  It is because a Tatum fade away should never ever be the 1st option there.  If Brad drew that play up and Tatum was not just a decoy but  was actually the 1st option, then Brad should be crucified.  If the play blows up then sure go to Tatum in the corner for that less desirable shot.  Not going to your star player there who had just been instrumental in the comeback is dumb and every star/quasi star in the league will take umbrage  at the thought.  If the play was a lob to Tatum with Kyrie as a decoy then that is entirely different.

Tatum was an option on the play.  As noted earlier in the thread, he had some separation on his defender.  He wasted that, but it's hard to scrutinize anybody with 3 seconds left on the clock.

There were probably over a dozen plays way more egregious last night than passing to Tatum with 2.7 seconds left.

And, there's a huge chasm between taking "umbrage" and having such a gigantic ego that a teammate's shot would cause a player to leave in free agency.  I cannot imagine that Kyrie is that self-centered.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Did Hayward show his inexperience playing with this group. Shouldn't he have let the play develop.
 Kyrie knows how critical home court is in playoffs.He knows how hard it is to win,Horford knows how hard it is to win
Your best clutch shooter, who got hot in 2nd half and is a deadly foul shooter doesn't get the ball.
That baseline is like an extra defender leaving one option. Kyrie in open court is buit for that shot.
Again we missed Baynes big body at rim ,Gordon got a full head of steam twice and Williams didn't have the answer.
Gordon looked aggressive at start but went back to drive and kick.He is still uncomfortable with contact
Kyrie is the superstar of this team. A proven NBA finalist winner with a couple losses to back up his claims of difficulty..
Hindsight has 2020 vision--Hayward made the wrong play.

you must be jokin

Irving isn't even moving when the ref gives the ball to Hayward for the throw in

Irving is way back....when he is going to try to beat his man to try to get open?

Once Al gets the ball.

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 11:24:51 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Rozier and brown need to go and brad needs to grow a set and actually coach

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 11:26:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

This!!

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 11:55:48 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

This!!
Second that

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 11:59:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This!!
Second that

I don’t see any issues with Brown that can’t be corrected.

Rozier is adding nothing.

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 12:38:02 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

This!!
Second that

I don’t see any issues with Brown that can’t be corrected.

Rozier is adding nothing.

I'm a little confused by the Brown hatred recently. Dude was flat awful for the first month for sure, but that last two he's been solid (tho inconsistent). I would like to see him get some more opportunity as a ball handler, maybe run some pick and roll/pop with him. Or at least some dribble hand offs. Sometihng besides parking him for 5 minutes in the corner.

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 12:41:53 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Ok well if not for this

just *facepalm*

Need at least 5 sec

Tatum was an option on the play.  As noted earlier in the thread, he had some separation on his defender.  He wasted that, but it's hard to scrutinize anybody with 3 seconds left on the clock.

There were probably over a dozen plays way more egregious last night than passing to Tatum with 2.7 seconds left.

And, there's a huge chasm between taking "umbrage" and having such a gigantic ego that a teammate's shot would cause a player to leave in free agency.  I cannot imagine that Kyrie is that self-centered.

I feel like it's also worth pointing out that Kyrie wasn't mad at Tatum, he was mad at Hayward. It doesn't seem, to me, like Kyrie was mad at not getting the ball, he was mad that the play was designed to go a certain way and Hayward decided to deviate for reasons I can't explain.

Had Tatum broken away and had a lane to the basket, ok, but that's not what happened. Tatum's man was right on his heels. Meanwhile, Horford was wide open to receive that pass as planned. So why did Hayward do what he did?

Of course, as has been mentioned, this play didn't lose the game. They lost it in the 12 minutes prior.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 01:43:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Easy to second guess a last second play but what's more important to me is the fact that they even had to be in that position to begin with. That's what we need to be scrutinizing.

As for the play itself, it was either Tatum coming off a screen for a turnaround or inbounding to Al for a handoff to Kyrie for a last second shot. He made his decision, it didn't work out.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 02:11:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love GH, but Kyrie should've had the ball in his hands at the end of that ORL game.

Kyrie Irving is NOT the problem and neither is GH or Big Al.

But in any event that game is over - water under the bridge.

Sans Kyrie Tatum and Brown put up OUTSTANDING numbers vs BKN - but in a loss.