Author Topic: Any CelticsBlog folks going to The Fest?  (Read 2556 times)

Any CelticsBlog folks going to The Fest?
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:14:45 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Curious if anyone here comes down to Gainesville for The Fest?

I'm not as die hard about it as some folks 'round here or my Girlfriend (who hosted 8 people last year) but I did go home after working my volunteer shift (LaSalle, Chris Wollard & Ship Thieves, Tubers, etc) and watched the Celtics opening night game on DVR.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Re: Any CelticsBlog folks going to The Fest?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Would love to. I think G-Ville is a great town.  I am kind of out of the loop these days No idea still putting out a lot of good Bands?

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Would love to. I think G-Ville is a great town.  I am kind of out of the loop these days No idea still putting out a lot of good Bands?

In my opinion yes... though i supppose i"m biased.

my recent faves:

Bridge & Tunnel (New York) -- My favorite record of last year  --- a devestating record, that is in the same heartfelt vein of Small Brown Bike + Fifth Hour Hero. As good, IMO, as any of the best NIR releases (HWM, Against Me, Radon, Spoke, etc.) SEE THIS BAND LIVE!!!!

Good Luck (bloomington, in) -- fun punk rock, sing alongs, etc. An awesome record. Ginger from One Reason is in Good Luck.

North Lincoln (Michigan) -- "classic" No Idea sound; they're great live too.

The Young Livers --- The only Gainesville band on the list --- pretty devastating stuff though. Tight.

Good stuff too from Dear Landlord, Chris Wollard & the Ship Thieves.

I think most of these can be streamed over at Punknews.org

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I thought you meant harpoon fest in boston in october...cuz I'm going to that.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
Gainesville C,
  I'm sure a simple google search would explain, but care to explain what The Fest is to the rest of us?
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
Hey man, thanks, i will def check out bridge and tunnel first. I am a fan of small brown  bike and fifth hour hero. both also good live. 

One of my favorite fla bands Live was Palatka. do you remember those guys? Does that record store in downtown still exsist and do shows? 

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Gainesville C,
  I'm sure a simple google search would explain, but care to explain what The Fest is to the rest of us?

Sure... I didn't bother in the OP b/c i figured if you didn't know you wouldn't trek down to the swamps of Florida for it.

The FEST website

And yes... it's called "The Fest", kinda silly but whatcha gonna do?

The Fest is a 3-day punk rock festival here in Gainesville -- some would say it's got "orgcore" bands and No Idea bands (99% of folks will have no idea what that means), but the lineup is really very varried. Bands play 20-30 min sets... you can see 30 or so bands over the course of hte weekend.

A lot of beer is drunk/drank.

Now in it's 8th year it's spread across like 10 venues during Halloween weekend (when the UF football game is in Jacksonville vs. Georgia). I went to Fest 3, 4 and 7.

Folks & bands come from all over the country/world --- which is shocking to me since all I do is ride my bike a mile south to downtown  8)

The Fest has this whole culture around it too --- and there are lots of unofficial house shows and warehouse shows.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Hey man, thanks, i will def check out bridge and tunnel first. I am a fan of small brown  bike and fifth hour hero. both also good live. 

One of my favorite fla bands Live was Palatka. do you remember those guys? Does that record store in downtown still exsist and do shows? 

I knew some of them just from seeing them around --- the drummer was at Tubers/Honest Arrow show on Sun. night.  I never saw them live though  :(

Wayward Council is i'm thinking what you're refering to. Yes they're still around and doing shows.

Did you live here? Just visit some?

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
I am from boston. but i was very into the music scene. liked a lot of bands from G-ville  always stopped in during road trips.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Curious if anyone here comes down to Gainesville for The Fest?

I'm not as die hard about it as some folks 'round here or my Girlfriend (who hosted 8 people last year) but I did go home after working my volunteer shift (LaSalle, Chris Wollard & Ship Thieves, Tubers, etc) and watched the Celtics opening night game on DVR.

bump. started this thread late one afternoon, so most might have missed it.