Author Topic: 40 Years Ago - Woodstock  (Read 14990 times)

Re: 40 Years Ago - Woodstock
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 03:05:46 PM »

Offline tenaciousT

• Author
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2502
Actually, they sang about stopping a war.... and did it.

No they didn't. They just stopped their involvement in it allowing communists to march on the country resulting in millions of refugees that they turned a blind eye to.

Yes, they did. The war ended. And the way it was being fought, the only thing that continued fighting would have done, would be to change the date of the end. The protesters weren't the enemy.

Refugees? The U.S. took in a number of refugees. If you're worried about refugees, World War II had far more refugees that that. The U.S. wouldn't take those either, nor any major amounts from other catastrophes that they got involved in. How is that the blame of the protesters?

And if the hippies had their way, we probably would have taken all of them in. The government limited the amount. Not the peace protesters. I don't see you blaming the government, though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:24:45 PM by tenaciousT »

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Woodstock '99, on the other hand...
Jeez.

Hey, they sang about starting a riot...and did it  :)

Seriously though, a lot of the destruction started because of awful planning by the organizers.  My tent was, as the crow flies, 50 yards from a bank of toilets and maybe 300 yards from one of the main stages, but it was a half-mile walk to the toilets and over a mile to the stage because of restricted areas.  After the first day, security pretty much disappeared (a lot of people took the job to get in for free then quit and blended in), and people started busting through the plywood barricades to make paths that were 90% shorter than the "official" route.  I gladly helped out with that part.  Combined with frustration over $4 bottled water and $12 microwave pizzas, it snowballed quickly from there (My friends and I stayed away from the random destruction stuff).  Still some of the best shows I've ever seen though.

Nice to hear a report from
the "battlezone"  ;) TP.

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 03:33:40 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
If you remember it, you weren't there.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Woodstock '99, on the other hand...
Jeez.

Hey, they sang about starting a riot...and did it  :)

Seriously though, a lot of the destruction started because of awful planning by the organizers.  My tent was, as the crow flies, 50 yards from a bank of toilets and maybe 300 yards from one of the main stages, but it was a half-mile walk to the toilets and over a mile to the stage because of restricted areas.  After the first day, security pretty much disappeared (a lot of people took the job to get in for free then quit and blended in), and people started busting through the plywood barricades to make paths that were 90% shorter than the "official" route.  I gladly helped out with that part.  Combined with frustration over $4 bottled water and $12 microwave pizzas, it snowballed quickly from there (My friends and I stayed away from the random destruction stuff).  Still some of the best shows I've ever seen though.

Nice to hear a report from
the "battlezone"  ;) TP.

Heh - my own personal 'Nam (jk).  Seriously, I don't condone what went down but having been, it makes a lot more sense why it happened the way it did.  Take a couple hundred thousand young people at a scorching hot military base, getting herded and ripped off at every turn, listening to heavy metal and rap music and getting intoxicated all day, then subtract all the authority figures and blam - chaos.

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 01:27:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

No they didn't. They just stopped their involvement in it allowing communists to march on the country resulting in millions of refugees that they turned a blind eye to.

Yes, they did. The war ended. And the way it was being fought, the only thing that continued fighting would have done, would be to change the date of the end. The protesters weren't the enemy.

Refugees? The U.S. took in a number of refugees. If you're worried about refugees, World War II had far more refugees that that. The U.S. wouldn't take those either, nor any major amounts from other catastrophes that they got involved in. How is that the blame of the protesters?

And if the hippies had their way, we probably would have taken all of them in. The government limited the amount. Not the peace protesters. I don't see you blaming the government, though.

Well wait a second. There's a "peace" movement, a pacifist movement, and an isolationist movement.

I agree with you when you say the way the war was being fought not much good could happen, but you didn't see the peace movement saying "Let's win this thing so we can have peace". Peace meant losing. And I also do blame the government for not fighting to win. And the hippies weren't the enemy although at protests they did wave the enemy flag, which isn't that different from maybe flying a Nazi flag during WW2 or a Chinese communist flag during Korea. They also liked to call American soldiers baby killers and I don't see what's so peaceful about that, and do find it a little enemyish.  I mean to be fair the rallying cry shouldn't have been "make love, not war" it should have been "Get high, not shot". They didn't protest for peace against N Vietnam when N Vietnam broke the treaty a few years later. It wasn't really "peace" they were concerned with. It was isolationism and not having to worry about anything other than their own lives.

Yes it's true America didn't take lots of refugees from WW2, but they did steal a country from Palestinians and gave it to displaced Jews. Did people from the peace movement protest that or were they just happy they didn't have to go?

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Well wait a second. There's a "peace" movement, a pacifist movement, and an isolationist movement.

I agree with you when you say the way the war was being fought not much good could happen, but you didn't see the peace movement saying "Let's win this thing so we can have peace". Peace meant losing. And I also do blame the government for not fighting to win. And the hippies weren't the enemy although at protests they did wave the enemy flag, which isn't that different from maybe flying a Nazi flag during WW2 or a Chinese communist flag during Korea. They also liked to call American soldiers baby killers and I don't see what's so peaceful about that, and do find it a little enemyish.  I mean to be fair the rallying cry shouldn't have been "make love, not war" it should have been "Get high, not shot". They didn't protest for peace against N Vietnam when N Vietnam broke the treaty a few years later. It wasn't really "peace" they were concerned with. It was isolationism and not having to worry about anything other than their own lives.

Yes it's true America didn't take lots of refugees from WW2, but they did steal a country from Palestinians and gave it to displaced Jews. Did people from the peace movement protest that or were they just happy they didn't have to go?

Whole different can of worms you're opening there.
Yup

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
"Tal-kin' 'bout my g-g-generation...."

Interesting to see dialogue about it all from the next generations.

Just a couple of small things....

It was Max Yasgur's farm, not Lesters.

CSNY did (four dead in) OHIO, not Buffalo Springfield, though I understand the confusion, because Stills and Young were members of Buffalo Springfield.

And semi-official reports were 500,000 attendees, though there are no completely accurate counts.

In discussions I've had over the last few days with members of my own generation, one acquaintance put it this way...

"It was a four day event where some of the best ideals were lived out, never to happen again."

As Brickowski says, the single most outstanding significance was there were a half million people all in close quarters with scarce food, water, and accommodations, and they not only made it work, they did it without any hostility.

For someone who lived in the 1960s, it's hard to describe the experience, at least for me it is.

500,000 people in close quarters with very low hostitilies is called a typical football weekend at Penn State.  It happens frequently.

It just seems that virtually every single thing the hippie movement stood for died in 1969 and now people that were hippies or lived through it are living out the oppositte of their ideals.
If the movement wants to take credit for the good they created then they need to take credit for the bad they created too.

Like the 4 that were shot at Youngstown St. That was after they burned buildings. What did they think would happen?

Hippies went into professors' offices and destroyed their life work (obviously not at Woodstock) and took dumps on their desks.

The song "I ain't no senator's son" doesn't describe anything that happened in real life.

I'm surprised people would attribute civil rights to hippies. I just never saw it that way

Hmm..
interesting that you'll take a history lesson from Red but not from someone from the era.

'I'm not no senator's son' has a definite bearing on real life and is a direct referral of what was happening at the time. Some rich and privileged (senators) individuals' draft age children were getting draft deferrals. Many thought unfairly so.

The Kent State shootings - where did you get that from? The four killed did nothing of the sort. A few were innocent bystanders.

No one said hippies only take credit for good things. That is your own misconception. Certainly some good and some bad reverberated from the era.

Like it or not, the hippie movement played a huge part in the times.

It was all intertwined. Civil rights, anti war protests, women's rights, generation gap, proliferation of drug use.

Revisionists will always exist, I guess.

I looked back and it wasn't Red (and I don't think I said it was) that I responded to.

I was responding to the sentence "The hippie movement worldwide was very significant. Some of it's positive influences were womens' rights, gay rights, black rights."

that was said by gustacius.

That's why I said it strikes me odd that they take "credit" for these movements, although certainly some of them would have had roles in it. It just seems these groups (other than some black rights) didn't get many rights during the 60s and are still waiting for them.

Also there were no sentaor's son that would fit the criteria of that song. Al Gore was a senator's son, but he went and was one of only two members from his Harvard class who did.

Where do i get the Kent St shootings were at a group of protesters who burnt buildings such as the ROTC building? I think it was the History channel and wikipedia. They are definitely known to do some revisionism from time to time

In recent years there have been great musical movements like grunge but I don't really consider them socially significant, and it always just surprises me when former hippies seem to describe Woodstock as some significant social event as though it was some culmination of positive ideals or a religious event.

It just seems like an awesome party, but I never saw parties as significant.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:47:30 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I agree and I'm trying to get back to Woodstock itself a little. I was trying to speak to refugees, but that's a good jump away and I don't want to open a new thread, split one or open an "explosive" and banned topic. I need to go check if that's banned. I only know of one banned topic off the top of my head.

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 02:08:04 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

I agree and I'm trying to get back to Woodstock itself a little. I was trying to speak to refugees, but that's a good jump away and I don't want to open a new thread, split one or open an "explosive" and banned topic. I need to go check if that's banned. I only know of one banned topic off the top of my head.
'

These hippies were great. At least the Vietamese gov thinks so thats why they have a shrin dedicated to them in their museum.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

It's a battle that's been fought for thousands of years.  There are way too many wrongs and rights on both sides of the fence to really say what's what, but most people's feelings on the situation are based on many generations of hardened opinion as almost a birthright. 

In short, I think it's best left alone here, but not strictly against any rules I know of.
Yup

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Actually the hippies were libertarians. Hippie communes and polygamous Mormon communities are not that far apart in terms of lifestyle.

Lots of people opposed the Vietnam war, and only a small percentage were "hippies."

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Actually the hippies were libertarians. Hippie communes and polygamous Mormon communities are not that far apart in terms of lifestyle.

Lots of people opposed the Vietnam war, and only a small percentage were "hippies."

That's part of what I'm trying to piece out. I'm not 100% sure that hippies is the same as "peace movement".  I doubt any hippies were for the war, but it seems the hippies were maybe the most visible or loudest.

Do they seriously have a shrine to hippies in Vietnam? I'm sorta looking in angryguy's direction here.

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 08:42:28 PM »

Offline tenaciousT

• Author
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2502

CSNY did (four dead in) OHIO, not Buffalo Springfield, though I understand the confusion, because Stills and Young were members of Buffalo Springfield.

And semi-official reports were 500,000 attendees, though there are no completely accurate counts.

In discussions I've had over the last few days with members of my own generation, one acquaintance put it this way...

"It was a four day event where some of the best ideals were lived out, never to happen again."

As Brickowski says, the single most outstanding significance was there were a half million people all in close quarters with scarce food, water, and accommodations, and they not only made it work, they did it without any hostility.

For someone who lived in the 1960s, it's hard to describe the experience, at least for me it is.

500,000 people in close quarters with very low hostitilies is called a typical football weekend at Penn State.  It happens frequently.

It just seems that virtually every single thing the hippie movement stood for died in 1969 and now people that were hippies or lived through it are living out the oppositte of their ideals.
If the movement wants to take credit for the good they created then they need to take credit for the bad they created too.

Like the 4 that were shot at Youngstown St. That was after they burned buildings. What did they think would happen?

Hippies went into professors' offices and destroyed their life work (obviously not at Woodstock) and took dumps on their desks.

The song "I ain't no senator's son" doesn't describe anything that happened in real life.

I'm surprised people would attribute civil rights to hippies. I just never saw it that way

Hmm..
interesting that you'll take a history lesson from Red but not from someone from the era.

'I'm not no senator's son' has a definite bearing on real life and is a direct referral of what was happening at the time. Some rich and privileged (senators) individuals' draft age children were getting draft deferrals. Many thought unfairly so.

The Kent State shootings - where did you get that from? The four killed did nothing of the sort. A few were innocent bystanders.

No one said hippies only take credit for good things. That is your own misconception. Certainly some good and some bad reverberated from the era.

It was all intertwined. Civil rights, anti war protests, women's rights, generation gap, proliferation of drug use.

I looked back and it wasn't Red (and I don't think I said it was) that I responded to.

I was responding to the sentence "The hippie movement worldwide was very significant. Some of it's positive influences were womens' rights, gay rights, black rights."

That's why I said it strikes me odd that they take "credit" for these movements, although certainly some of them would have had roles in it. It just seems these groups (other than some black rights) didn't get many rights during the 60s and are still waiting for them.

Also there were no sentaor's son that would fit the criteria of that song. Al Gore was a senator's son, but he went and was one of only two members from his Harvard class who did.

Where do i get the Kent St shootings were at a group of protesters who burnt buildings such as the ROTC building? I think it was the History channel and wikipedia. They are definitely known to do some revisionism from time to time

In recent years there have been great musical movements like grunge but I don't really consider them socially significant, and it always just surprises me when former hippies seem to describe Woodstock as some significant social event as though it was some culmination of positive ideals or a religious event.

Because of the more understanding response you just gave, I’ll respond to your thoughts a bit more before I finish with this whole thing. I’ll try to keep it brief wherever possible. Hang in there with me…

First, let’s understand. You called me out. Now you say that you were responding to something that someone else said. I find it curious that I was challenged, but not that person. When I looked back at what I wrote, I couldn’t find a thing that would upset anyone by any normal standard.

After correcting a few innocuous errors of fact, I said the following…

“In discussions I've had over the last few days with members of my own generation, one acquaintance put it this way...

For someone who lived in the 1960s, it's hard to describe the experience, at least for me it is.”

I don’t know what was so hard to agree with there. Unless you had an ax to grind, in which case this response is all useless anyway.

Instead you said this…

Eja….”500,000 people in close quarters with very low hostitilies is called a typical football weekend at Penn State.  It happens frequently.”

You are comparing a 3-4 hour event to a 3-4 day event? Really? And what do you think would happen if you took those football fans beer, toilets and even something as vital as water away for those 4 hours, let alone 3 days. How about in the dead heat of August? We all know what would happen. It was an absurd, even silly comparison.

And when was there ever 500,000 at any football game in America? It was a disingenuous statement, to say the least.

And then this….

“Like the 4 that were shot at Youngstown St. That was after they burned buildings. What did they think would happen?”

Again a giant leap of assumption. The four killed (nine more wounded) in all probability never had anything to do with the ROTC building burning of the night before. In fact, using the very source that you said you got your information from (wikipedia), says that two girls killed were innocent bystanders on their way to class. I guess you only read selectively to find what fits what you want to believe.

The protesters should have protested peacefully, without destruction to property and without taunting. I agree with that. But you make it sound like anyone protesting deserved to get shot if they were a part of the protest that burned down an empty building. I can’t believe that you really believe that.

What should have happened? There should have been an investigation to find out who actually did the burning and other damage, then bring those specific individuals to trial and punishment in a court of law.

Again, from the source (wikipedia) you say you got your information from, it says that the guardsmen fired indiscriminately into a crowd, and not even at the closest group to them. So the idea that they felt ‘threatened’ was called into question because of that.

The commission that was set up to investigate the whole thing concluded that both sides acted wrongly. It is always a dicey thing to challenge a standing armed guard. I don’t suggest what they did was right. But to be killed for it?

Remember, it was much the same situation in the Boston Massacre. They were throwing rocks and taunting them, too. Did they deserve to be killed? It may have been wrong, but c’mon.

And the Boston Tea Party was wonton destruction of property. To you it may be different, to both groups it was civil disobedience with damage to property as part of it.

eja… “also there were no sentaor's son that would fit the criteria of that song.”

No? How about Joe Biden and Dick Cheney just to name one from each party to keep it balanced? There were others, I believe. And it was meant to include any of the empowered or elite, though ‘senator’ was the euphemism used in the song. That could include college deferments which would automatically help the wealthier families of our nation.

Just google: college deferment vietnam

There is plenty there for you to read that justifies the song.

More to come. I lost most of my post when I’m timed out. I’ll be back to conclude.

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Hmm..

The Kent State shootings - where did you that from? The four killed did nothing of the sort. A few were innocent bystanders.

I saw that too.  I think he misread it.  The post was from me, but it was mostly just a big fat quote from someone slightly older than me!

Yeah actually. I think that's what happened.

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Hmm..

Because of the more understanding response you just gave, I’ll respond to your thoughts a bit more before I finish with this whole thing. I’ll try to keep it brief wherever possible. Hang in there with me…

First, let’s understand. You called me out. Now you say that you were responding to something that someone else said. I find it curious that I was challenged, but not that person. When I looked back at what I wrote, I couldn’t find a thing that would upset anyone by any normal standard.

After correcting a few innocuous errors of fact, I said the following…

“In discussions I've had over the last few days with members of my own generation, one acquaintance put it this way...

For someone who lived in the 1960s, it's hard to describe the experience, at least for me it is.”

I don’t know what was so hard to agree with there. Unless you had an ax to grind, in which case this response is all useless anyway.

Instead you said this…

Eja….”500,000 people in close quarters with very low hostitilies is called a typical football weekend at Penn State.  It happens frequently.”

You are comparing a 3-4 hour event to a 3-4 day event? Really? And what do you think would happen if you took those football fans beer, toilets and even something as vital as water away for those 4 hours, let alone 3 days. How about in the dead heat of August? We all know what would happen. It was an absurd, even silly comparison.

And when was there ever 500,000 at any football game in America? It was a disingenuous statement, to say the least.

And then this….

“Like the 4 that were shot at Youngstown St. That was after they burned buildings. What did they think would happen?”

Again a giant leap of assumption. The four killed (nine more wounded) in all probability never had anything to do with the ROTC building burning of the night before. In fact, using the very source that you said you got your information from (wikipedia), says that two girls killed were innocent bystanders on their way to class. I guess you only read selectively to find what fits what you want to believe.

The protesters should have protested peacefully, without destruction to property and without taunting. I agree with that. But you make it sound like anyone protesting deserved to get shot if they were a part of the protest that burned down an empty building. I can’t believe that you really believe that.

What should have happened? There should have been an investigation to find out who actually did the burning and other damage, then bring those specific individuals to trial and punishment in a court of law.

Again, from the source (wikipedia) you say you got your information from, it says that the guardsmen fired indiscriminately into a crowd, and not even at the closest group to them. So the idea that they felt ‘threatened’ was called into question because of that.

The commission that was set up to investigate the whole thing concluded that both sides acted wrongly. It is always a dicey thing to challenge a standing armed guard. I don’t suggest what they did was right. But to be killed for it?

Remember, it was much the same situation in the Boston Massacre. They were throwing rocks and taunting them, too. Did they deserve to be killed? It may have been wrong, but c’mon.

And the Boston Tea Party was wonton destruction of property. To you it may be different, to both groups it was civil disobedience with damage to property as part of it.

eja… “also there were no sentaor's son that would fit the criteria of that song.”

No? How about Joe Biden and Dick Cheney just to name one from each party to keep it balanced? There were others, I believe. And it was meant to include any of the empowered or elite, though ‘senator’ was the euphemism used in the song. That could include college deferments which would automatically help the wealthier families of our nation.

Just google: college deferment vietnam

There is plenty there for you to read that justifies the song.

More to come. I lost most of my post when I’m timed out. I’ll be back to conclude.

Looking back gustacious was the first to mention Ohio and Fortunate Son and Brickowski mentioned 1.5 million people at the farm, to which you corrected him, which is probably why I responded to you. I'd guess your response had been most recent with his in it.

And I'm not upset.

And speaking of revisionism I didn't say the Kent St kids deserved to be shot. I said they were a part of a riotous crowd that burnt a building, so what did they think would happen? I have a hard time believing that a riotous crowd was facing off with the National Guard and they were just oblivious to it all and were just accidentally randomly shot on the way to class, but it's possible.

And Penn State weekends are three day events. The stadium holds 110,000 people give or take, then there are 50,000 people on campus, many of whom are at the game, then tens of thousands more in the town, and tens of thousands of tailgaters who never go in. So I'd say it's comparable in terms of number of people and minimal violence. And sometimes it rains or snows.

Also neither Biden nor Cheyney were senator's sons. Biden wasn't even fortunate. He was middle class.

In fact let's see. Who was getting student deferments? Students were. And who was protesting the war? Students were. So who were the fortunate sons? Why. It was the protesters. So they were singing about...themselves. Irony.