Author Topic: 40 Years Ago - Woodstock  (Read 14988 times)

40 Years Ago - Woodstock
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Granted I was only 1, but I remember it like it was yesterday.  Well, not really, but it's significance is embedded in my head.  It's truly hard to believe that this blip in time happened in our country's history.  So many people so wrapped up in peace and love and community to such a degree.  When else has this happened in our country's short life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLKKGHrGMxQ
Yup

Re: 40 Years Ago - Woodstock
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
We know that Spliphon Hempbury has been celebrating this anniversary a lot lately on web cam.    ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:45:58 PM by RAcker »

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I just do not get the significance of this event. Other than it was an all-star cast of music

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
I just do not get the significance of this event. Other than it was an all-star cast of music
Basically it's like this:

Woodstock was to the hippie idealist what Altimont was to the cynical realist.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
I will try to help you. Crosby, Stills, and Nash sang a song called Woodstock. If you read the verse carefully, you might understand better.

The hippie movement worldwide was very significant. Some of it's positive influences were womens' rights, gay rights, black rights. People who identified with this movement were for the most part war babies (born after WWII).The USA was never better. The 50's was a wonderful time to be a kid in the US. Mothers still left the baby carriage and baby outside of the supermarket under the awning while they went inside to shop a bit. Rock and Roll was fresh off the launching pad and all ours. By the time the 60's rolled around we were off to college, John Kennedy was president, everything was so right.

Then came Viet Nam. That changed everything along with Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. Millions of twenty year olds all over the world protested that war, as well as everything else that represented 'the system.' Pink Floyd sang 'we don't want your education.' CCR and John Fogerty sang ' I ain't no military man's son." Buffalo Springfield sang 'four dead in Ohio.' Woodtock represents that movement's most significant attempt to gather in one place at Lester's Farm for world peace, no wars, living the ideals of equality, fairness, brotherhood.

In reality though it was Woodtock which signified the beginning of the end.   People got older, began to make money, charge it on the visa. It was a great period of time though that has left it's ,mark on the world until today. It gave birth to some of the most beautiful music and verse written in the past century. It gave us Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Leonard Cohen, Cat Stevens, Momma Cass, Peter,  Paul, and Mary, Van Morrison,and I am leaving out thousands of others. It gave birth to better opportunities in life for countless women and minority groups, never mind the huge advancement made by black men and women. The word black instead of negroe even stems from that period. Advancements were made in agriculture, and environmental improvent. Millions found courage to change their lives from the expected and boring to a challenge, an excitement, a joy, to a life that stemmed from the blood and p heart. People all over the world began to love and respect others in a far more significant and caring way. The sixties , I believe, is the beginning of more mixed marriages, blacks and whites, but also Chinese and Jew, Indian and English, etc... The sixties gave us long hair and lastly, it was a wonderful time to be a man. The quickest, easiest, and best sex I ever had was in my twenties. It was truly that good. Ask any man who lived it.

Sadly though it also gave us drugs, too much drugs. We must never forget that fact and it must be emphasized. Many died or severely screwed up their lives.  A very good friend of mine died while swimming and drugged after Woodstock. Another was killed in an auto accident. They were 23 and 19 years of age.   

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I will try to help you. Crosby, Stills, and Nash sang a song called Woodstock. If you read the verse carefully, you might understand better.

The hippie movement worldwide was very significant. Some of it's positive influences were womens' rights, gay rights, black rights. People who identified with this movement were for the most part war babies (born after WWII).The USA was never better. The 50's was a wonderful time to be a kid in the US. Mothers still left the baby carriage and baby outside of the supermarket under the awning while they went inside to shop a bit. Rock and Roll was fresh off the launching pad and all ours. By the time the 60's rolled around we were off to college, John Kennedy was president, everything was so right.

Then came Viet Nam. That changed everything along with Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. Millions of twenty year olds all over the world protested that war, as well as everything else that represented 'the system.' Pink Floyd sang 'we don't want your education.' CCR and John Fogerty sang ' I ain't no military man's son." Buffalo Springfield sang 'four dead in Ohio.' Woodtock represents that movement's most significant attempt to gather in one place at Lester's Farm for world peace, no wars, living the ideals of equality, fairness, brotherhood.

In reality though it was Woodtock which signified the beginning of the end.   People got older, began to make money, charge it on the visa. It was a great period of time though that has left it's ,mark on the world until today. It gave birth to some of the most beautiful music and verse written in the past century. It gave us Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Leonard Cohen, Cat Stevens, Momma Cass, Peter,  Paul, and Mary, Van Morrison,and I am leaving out thousands of others. It gave birth to better opportunities in life for countless women and minority groups, never mind the huge advancement made by black men and women. The word black instead of negroe even stems from that period. Advancements were made in agriculture, and environmental improvent. Millions found courage to change their lives from the expected and boring to a challenge, an excitement, a joy, to a life that stemmed from the blood and p heart. People all over the world began to love and respect others in a far more significant and caring way. The sixties , I believe, is the beginning of more mixed marriages, blacks and whites, but also Chinese and Jew, Indian and English, etc... The sixties gave us long hair and lastly, it was a wonderful time to be a man. The quickest, easiest, and best sex I ever had was in my twenties. It was truly that good. Ask any man who lived it.

Sadly though it also gave us drugs, too much drugs. We must never forget that fact and it must be emphasized. Many died or severely screwed up their lives.  A very good friend of mine died while swimming and drugged after Woodstock. Another was killed in an auto accident. They were 23 and 19 years of age.   

Said much better than my 1 year old's memory could possibly drum up. 
Yup

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:08:33 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
As a film guy, I highly recommend watching the "Woodstock" documentary followed by "Gimme Shelter" which is the documentary of the Rolling Stones free concert at the Altimont Speedway in California.  In one evening of film watching, you can see the very best and the very worst of that time. 

It wouldn't hurt to wash these two documentaries down with a little "Easy Rider" too.  That film sums it up quite well.

We went from 50's fluff to Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" and Sam Peckinpah in a single decade.  Movies and music of that time say a lot about how quickly the world was changing.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 03:18:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Basically it's like this:

Woodstock was to the hippie idealist what Altimont was to the cynical realist.

Woah. Looks like I am in need of a serious history lesson or five. Looks like Red is trying below

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What about the 10 year anniversary of Woodstock '99?  ;D (yes, I was there)

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, none of my friends died from drugs, but my best friend from HS was killed in Vietnam, along with two other guys from my neighborhood.

BTW the song "Woodstock" was written and first recorded by Joni Mitchell.  The version by Crosby, Stills and Nash was a cover.

The remarkable thing about Woodstock is that 1.5 million people camped together for 3 1/2 days under less than ideal conditions (it rained alot) and there was not a single recorded incident of violence. 

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »

Offline tenaciousT

• Author
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2502
"Tal-kin' 'bout my g-g-generation...."

Interesting to see dialogue about it all from the next generations.

Just a couple of small things....

It was Max Yasgur's farm, not Lesters.

CSNY did (four dead in) OHIO, not Buffalo Springfield, though I understand the confusion, because Stills and Young were members of Buffalo Springfield.

And semi-official reports were 500,000 attendees, though there are no completely accurate counts.

In discussions I've had over the last few days with members of my own generation, one acquaintance put it this way...

"It was a four day event where some of the best ideals were lived out, never to happen again."

As Brickowski says, the single most outstanding significance was there were a half million people all in close quarters with scarce food, water, and accommodations, and they not only made it work, they did it without any hostility.

For someone who lived in the 1960s, it's hard to describe the experience, at least for me it is.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The thing I remember most about Woodstock was trading a roll of toilet paper for an ounce of very good pot.  That's one thing that will never happen again.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

CSNY did (four dead in) OHIO, not Buffalo Springfield, though I understand the confusion, because Stills and Young were members of Buffalo Springfield.

And semi-official reports were 500,000 attendees, though there are no completely accurate counts.

In discussions I've had over the last few days with members of my own generation, one acquaintance put it this way...

"It was a four day event where some of the best ideals were lived out, never to happen again."

As Brickowski says, the single most outstanding significance was there were a half million people all in close quarters with scarce food, water, and accommodations, and they not only made it work, they did it without any hostility.

For someone who lived in the 1960s, it's hard to describe the experience, at least for me it is.

500,000 people in close quarters with very low hostitilies is called a typical football weekend at Penn State.  It happens frequently.

It just seems that virtually every single thing the hippie movement stood for died in 1969 and now people that were hippies or lived through it are living out the oppositte of their ideals.
If the movement wants to take credit for the good they created then they need to take credit for the bad they created too.

Like the 4 that were shot at Youngstown St. That was after they burned buildings. What did they think would happen?

Hippies went into professors' offices and destroyed their life work (obviously not at Woodstock) and took dumps on their desks.

The song "I ain't no senator's son" doesn't describe anything that happened in real life.

I'm surprised people would attribute civil rights to hippies. I just never saw it that way

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

500,000 people in close quarters with very low hostitilies is called a typical football weekend at Penn State.  It happens frequently.

It just seems that virtually every single thing the hippie movement stood for died in 1969 and now people that were hippies or lived through it are living out the oppositte of their ideals.
If the movement wants to take credit for the good they created then they need to take credit for the bad they created too.

Like the 4 that were shot at Youngstown St. That was after they burned buildings. What did they think would happen?

Hippies went into professors' offices and destroyed their life work (obviously not at Woodstock) and took dumps on their desks.

The song "I ain't no senator's son" doesn't describe anything that happened in real life.

I'm surprised people would attribute civil rights to hippies. I just never saw it that way

Kent State?
Yup

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Was married with three young kids at that time.....so was behind the curve of the change, but sat riveted to the history channel last night