Author Topic: Hope verses Sure Thing (about bigs)  (Read 3321 times)

Re: Hope verses Sure Thing (about bigs)
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I see Bamba as a future Mutumbo type of player.  Elite rim protector but offensively I don't see much there.  Maybe he can be a double double type with almost 3 blocks per game?

Bagley is really difficult to peg.  The problem with Bagley is that although he is a very smooth scorer from 2 point land, he's not a proven 3 point shooter.  His other big drawback is that although his best position in the NBA is likely as a 5, Bagley is not a rim protector.  He's not going to block/alter a lot of shots, and he can't because his wingspan is below average for his size.

Jayson Tatum at 6'8 (maybe he is 6'9 by now) has a 7 foot wingspan. 
Bagley standing at 6'11 only has a 7 foot wingspan. 

The elite rim protectors in the NBA generally have 7'4 or longer wingspans.
Deandre Jordan 8'
Rudy Gobert 8'
Mo Bamba 7'10
What on earth are those wingspans?? You know neither of those guys have an 8' wingspan right?

DJ is around 7'6", and Gobert is a bit over 7'8". Bamba has the longest wingspan in combine history
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 09:38:48 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I see Bamba as a future Mutumbo type of player.  Elite rim protector but offensively I don't see much there.  Maybe he can be a double double type with almost 3 blocks per game?

Bagley is really difficult to peg.  The problem with Bagley is that although he is a very smooth scorer from 2 point land, he's not a proven 3 point shooter.  His other big drawback is that although his best position in the NBA is likely as a 5, Bagley is not a rim protector.  He's not going to block/alter a lot of shots, and he can't because his wingspan is below average for his size.

Deandre Jordan 8'
Rudy Gobert 8'
Mo Bamba 7'10
What on earth are those wingspans?? You know neither of those guys have an 8' wingspan right?

DJ is around 7'6", and Gobert is a bit over 7'8". Bamba has the longest wingspan in combine history
Lol i have the exact thought

As for offense i don't worry too much, if he can shoot he will be fine, wingspan is your best friend in the paint, domination maybe not but can certainly be a efficient 15 point scorer at least

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Deandre Jordan 8'
Rudy Gobert 8'
Mo Bamba 7'10

To be fair, if you google either Gobert’s or Jordan’s wingspan, the first thing that comes up is 8 feet (at least in the US).  It’s wrong, but I expect that’s where he got it.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Deandre Jordan 8'
Rudy Gobert 8'
Mo Bamba 7'10

To be fair, if you google either Gobert’s or Jordan’s wingspan, the first thing that comes up is 8 feet (at least in the US).  It’s wrong, but I expect that’s where he got it.
Ah okay, that is weird and annoying. Over here it comes up in centimetres which is handy!

I do agree that Bagley may struggle as a 5, but I think his footspeed is underrated, and will help him

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I don't see anything close to a franchise talent in Doncic, but time will tell.
Could not disagree more strongly.

In terms of this exercise

Bagley: Skeptical, but wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into a Z-Bo like 20/10 guy with more mobility, proving me drastically wrong
Bamba: Hopeful and excited but confident
Carter: Hopeful and excited and confident
Jackson Jr.: Hopeful and excited but unsure

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 01:24:28 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeah, that's where I got it from.  Thanks for the fact correction guys.  Well my point still stands, the elite rim protectors have huge wingspans.  Bagley was a weak defender at Duke and his wingspan is a bit short for him to be an elite rim protector at just 7' for a 6'11 guy.  He is a very athletic player and moves great so that may make up for it, but his physical measurables don't scream - this guy will be a top tier defender in the NBA.

I'm wondering if Bamba is just a smokescreen though.  His offensive shortcomings are pretty big compared to his tantalizing defensive game and monstrous 7'10 wingspan.

Deandre Jordan 8'
Rudy Gobert 8'
Mo Bamba 7'10

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 01:59:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Yeah, that's where I got it from.  Thanks for the fact correction guys.  Well my point still stands, the elite rim protectors have huge wingspans.  Bagley was a weak defender at Duke and his wingspan is a bit short for him to be an elite rim protector at just 7' for a 6'11 guy.  He is a very athletic player and moves great so that may make up for it, but his physical measurables don't scream - this guy will be a top tier defender in the NBA.

I'm wondering if Bamba is just a smokescreen though.  His offensive shortcomings are pretty big compared to his tantalizing defensive game and monstrous 7'10 wingspan.

Deandre Jordan 8'
Rudy Gobert 8'
Mo Bamba 7'10

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I think as a 1on1 defender he'll likely be able to hold his own against many bigs, but he'll never be Anthony Davis flying around the court intercepting passes and blocking shots.

From what I've seen reported, Bamba is really making strides to make his jumpshot less of a catapult-type action and more smooth, which I think will really help him in today's offence. One of the underrated skills he has is that he can handle the ball surprisingly well, and is a passable mid-range shooter. I think he's already more dangerous outside of the paint than Gobert is.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Bagley = the new Dave Cowens? That is what Bagley reminds of.

I love his motor and nose for the ball. I am not too concerned about his wingspan. I like that he is regularly in position to contest shots and force misses despite not getting many blocks. I love his rebounding. His rebounding is spectacular. Bagley's offensive game is smooth. The quickness and driving capability at center. The emerging jump-shot. The super finishing around the basket. The transition offense and PnR offense.

I think Bagley is going to be an excellent NBA player.

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 08:47:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't see anything close to a franchise talent in Doncic, but time will tell.
Doncic reminds me of Hayward only with a more advanced offensive game (shooting, efficiency, ball-handling, passing) at the same age. That is exciting.

Not sure Docinc is a franchise talent either (athleticism, scorer's mentality?) but there is a chance .... his offensive repertoire is so advanced for his age - it's freakish.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:55:44 AM by Who »

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Rozier and picks doesn't get us nearly high enough to get any of those players, so this seems like an exercise in futility.

I frankly disagree about Rozier.  Entering is his 4th year, he’s still cheap (will make less than any of those players next year).  The PG class this draft is incredibly weak.  Teams that need PGs include Orlando, Cleveland, Clippers, and the Knicks.  He’s clearly proven himself to be playoff starter quality.  At his age, there is likely more growth to come, and given his restricted free agency/extension eligibility, a team trading for him could easily control him for the next 5 years.

The Clippers have picks 12 & 13.  They seem to be a perfect fit in terms of need for Rozier.  They need a PG, are not looking to do an extended rebuild, and have cost considerations this upcoming season for which Rozier’s $3 million salary would be quite helpful.  They even have a trade exception that fits Rozier which expires at the end of June.  So getting to 12 doesn’t seem impossible — and considering George Hill was traded for #12 just two drafts ago while heading into unrestricted free agency (or Jeff Teague, depending how you want to view that trade), it doesn’t seem like my green-colored glasses are on.  And given that, someone like the Knicks trying to outbid the Clippers for Rozier is also not far-fetched, nor is combining #12 with #27 to move to #9.

The wildcards are two things, primarily.  Firstly, how far does a big that Ainge wants fall? (If the bigs in this post are all gone by #6, it could be too difficult indeed to get a Rozier-centered deal done). Secondly, how high does Trae Young go?  I think it will be difficult for a team looking for a PG to consider Rozier while Young is on the board (even if I’m personally not a Trae Young fan, I get the appeal).  So as long as he’s available, teams that might be interested in Rozier won’t move.  And these two are correlated — the later Young is picked, the more likely it is all the bigs are gone.

Maybe it’s not likely that a deal gets done, but it isn’t nearly as crazy as you seem to think.

And ultimately, if Ainge can’t use Rozier as the primary piece of a deal to break into the top 10 to get a big (or Doncic, but I need to stop dreaming) then he really should just hold onto Terry.  There’s enough uncertainty about our PGs heading into the summer that just moving him for a mid-first isn’t enough reward for the risk.

Agree to all of this. I think a lot depends on the Cs’ talent evaluation. If they think a player is slipping past where he should be taken, getting to 9 or 12 with Rozier as the main piece may be possible.

The most asset-conservative strategy, though, is to hoard everything and make the big move next year. Possibly the Kings gift us a high pick. Then we just use it and still have Terry his year as well as any picks we’d roll in to that deal. If it’s in the 5-10 range, you might use the other picks to move up. I’m amazed by the commenters who are confident that next year’s draft class will be terrible. How do you know that?

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Bagley = the new Dave Cowens? That is what Bagley reminds of.

I love his motor and nose for the ball. I am not too concerned about his wingspan. I like that he is regularly in position to contest shots and force misses despite not getting many blocks. I love his rebounding. His rebounding is spectacular. Bagley's offensive game is smooth. The quickness and driving capability at center. The emerging jump-shot. The super finishing around the basket. The transition offense and PnR offense.

I think Bagley is going to be an excellent NBA player.

TP, I think that's the best comp I've heard for Bagley so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008