Author Topic: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba  (Read 15492 times)

Re: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bamba could be a good target and be some of what we need. No way Danny trades any of our core talent for him but we have assets and teams sometimes do things you would never guess and Danny preys on them! ;)

Al Hoford would  probably love to play with someone like Bamba.  Who can protect the rim etc.  So he can concentrate on playing stretch 4

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If Danny and Stevens is that high on Bamba(i'm very high on him)

Then i am in for Brown + picks for Bamba

I'm scared to have Jeff Green 2.0 as our future max star, just too inconsistent

On the other hand Wingspan won't betray you

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

But he does have some Antoine Walker in his blood.  Should be taking it to basket/mid range 70 percent of the time and shooting the three 30 percent....but instead it is flipped.  And he is not a pure shooter
I'm serious
He got hot one game and cold another, just like Jeff Green

When he is hot he plays like star-superstar, but when cold he can't really do anything..
If our goal is contending year in and year out we will guys that can perform night in and night out
He's a raw 21 year old.

Most of those guys are inconsistent. That doesn't mean he's Jeff green 2.0. Jayson Tatum was also inconsistent. Bad game 6, great game 7. Should we pencil him in as Jeff Green 2.0?

He's young and he's raw and improving at a torrid pace(Jeff green literally never improved his entire career) he's already a better defender and 3 point shooter than green ever was.

This comparison is almost as pea brained as the criticism someone made yesterday that's brown had interests outside of basketball. Just absurd.
The comparison of Brown and Green is based mostly on their very similar stat lines. 

Here are year 1 per 36

Player A - 13.8 p, 5.9 r, 1.7 a, 0.9 s, 0.5 b, 1.8 t, 3.8 f
Player B - 13.4 p, 6.1 r, 1.9 a, 0.7 s, 0.8 b, 2.5 t, 3.2 f

Here are year 2 per 36
Player A - 17.0 p, 5.8 r, 1.9 a, 1.2 s, 0.4 b, 2.1 t, 3.0 f
Player B - 16.2 p, 6.5 r, 1.9 a, 1.0 s, 0.4 b, 2.2 t, 2.5 f

They had similar roles though Green played more minutes per game each season.  Brown has been a slightly more efficient shooter overall though is worse from the line and didn't get to the line at the same rate.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

But he does have some Antoine Walker in his blood.  Should be taking it to basket/mid range 70 percent of the time and shooting the three 30 percent....but instead it is flipped.  And he is not a pure shooter
I'm serious

When he is hot he plays like star-superstar, but when cold he can't really do anything..
If our goal is contending year in and year out we will guys that can perform night in and night out

;D

Yeah okay bud.

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

I'm serious

He's a raw 21 year old.

Most of those guys are inconsistent. That doesn't mean he's Jeff green 2.0. Jayson Tatum was also inconsistent. Bad game 6, great game 7. Should we pencil him in as Jeff Green 2.0?

He's young and he's raw and improving at a torrid pace(Jeff green literally never improved his entire career) he's already a better defender and 3 point shooter than green ever was.

This comparison is almost as pea brained as the criticism someone made yesterday that's brown had interests outside of basketball. Just absurd.
The comparison of Brown and Green is based mostly on their very similar stat lines. 

Here are year 1 per 36

Here are year 2 per 36

They had similar roles though Green played more minutes per game each season.  Brown has been a slightly more efficient shooter overall though is worse from the line and didn't get to the line at the same rate.

Also fail to mention that Brown is the far better defender at this point, and better shooter.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
On a thread dedicated to a report stating the C's may be interested in moving up for Bamba... we actually got folks on here arguing about Jeff Green vs. Jaylen Brown and who is better/more consistent/better defender/better scorer.  ::)

Good Lord.

Kind of ridiculous considering one guy is 31 years old with more NBA experience while the other is 21 years old and was on a team missing two of it's best players.

Anyways, most mocks seem to think Bamba is going 4 or 5, so we may be out of luck. And why would we trade a #3 pick in Jaylen Brown for a pick in the 4-7 range this year, for a guy who is still kind of raw???  ???

I mean, some folks here actually call Jaylen Brown inconsistent and "still a way's away", so have fun with the first few years of Bamba lol. I'm still high on him though even if he's not as polished yet.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?
Gobert in his prime, probably, Gobert as a rookie with no idea where he ends up professionally, probably not.
I get this viewpoint on risk assessment.  I'd give these odds and I'd take the risk, but I get that we aren't in a position where we need to take risks.

5% - Bamba is Olajuwon defensively
25% - Bamba becomes Gobert
40% - Bamba is a serviceable role player
30% - Greg Oden

Barring injury, I don't see how he misses.
This is soo unbelievably generous to Mo Bamba
He's a consensus top 3 pick.  Here are historical expectations for top 3 picks over a 20 year sample:

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

I assigned 30% bust rate and 40% role player.  If anything I was extremely conservative.
You also assigned 25% top 5 defensive player and the real egregious one: 5% top 3 defensive player all time and one of the greatest players ever.

Also I'm surprised he's consensus top 3. Haven't read enough about the draft to disagree but I doubt that
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
The Brown-Green comp is so disingenuous. Green does not play with much passion. Brown plays with a ton of passion.

But yes, they are both basketball players who play on the wing. They also both enjoy eating food and drink water on a daily basis.

« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

I'm serious

He's a raw 21 year old.

Tatum went 7 for 13 in game 6.  How did he have a bad game?

he wasn't aggressive enough that game was the small issue
yeah, but tatum went 2-9 in game two of the milwaukee series. 19 points one game, 4 points the next game. INCONSISTENT!!! maybe ainge can trade this loser for second round pick, before the nba wises up on the second coming of jeff green.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

I'm serious

He's a raw 21 year old.

Here are year 1 per 36

Here are year 2 per 36

Browns a better shooter and better defender. He's also younger.

That also makes the comp even worse. Young Jeff Green was really promising. The fact that he literally never improved or added a single thing to his game and had to sit out a season due to a horrifying medical situation makes the comparison useless.

Brown has already improved more that green did his entire career. He's also far better suited to exist in the NBA even if he never develops a handle, post moves, go-to moves in general or, any ability to finish. Because he can be a 3-D guy who is a nightmare in transition and drives closeouts. Green never learned how to shoot and never seemed to give enough of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. to defend.

I'd still take 21 year old Jeff green because he was a guy who could have been really Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing good. It didn't work out because it turned out Jeff Green had a really bad mental makeup. I don't think that's the case with jaylen brown as many people have waxed poetic about his work ethic and given his progression from college to rookie year to this year I'd say the proof is in the pudding.

The Jeff Green comp is lazy and bad.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
If Danny feels Embiid will be a bigger thorn for us in the coming years in getting to finals, it would not shock me if he has his eye on a big , potential filled body who can play tough D-

Rozier and picks wont get it done unless its a boat full of them-
including Kings, Memphis, and Clippers and even that might not be enough

They will ask for Brown as centerpiece most likely- If you think you know what Danny will do if his target is there at four or five, think again- we never do.

But, if Danny is willing to go down Brown road, maybe Wolves become involved in a bigger trade with us with multiple pieces going back and forth.

I have become a big Brown fan and his one year improvement was off the charts- He is no Jeff Green by any stretch- Fire vs. Water is a more favorable comparison- Brown’s peak is a few years away and wasn’t Brown a bit younger coming into the league? I dont remember Green’s age but one thing I know is that a 21 year old Green would have never carried our team this year through many playoff wins- never, ever, ever——I would love to see Brown amd Tatum grow together but that is my heart speaking amd maybe not my head.

Now, with all of that said, we are wing filled with pure talent- if as a GM I am sure of a big prospect, I definitely consider making the move- We know he is not  afraid to pull the trigger so hold your breath during the draft, it could get crazy-

« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

I'm serious

He's a raw 21 year old.

Tatum went 7 for 13 in game 6.  How did he have a bad game?

he wasn't aggressive enough that game was the small issue
Don't care what the numbers say. Tatum was a no-show until way too late in that game. But I recognize that a 20 year old on the road in the ECF struggling to find the pace of the game isn't an indictment on their mentality. It's what happens to young players. Even if they seem wise beyond their years.

« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

I'm serious

He's a raw 21 year old.

Here are year 1 per 36

Here are year 2 per 36

Its still a terrible argument. Brown also had similar overall year to Kawhi Leonard, Gordon Hayward and Paul George at his age and way better than Jimmy Butler was. So it would be equally valid to compare him to a top 30 player like Hayward, top 20 like george or top 5 like Kawhi. If you method of comparison spots out value ranging from Jeff Green to top 5 player then you have a bad method.

Jaylen is better defensively, better shooting, guards a different set of positions and had already demonstrated he can be a key cog on a really good team than Green. The only reason people make these comparisons is Green once player for us. I would not trade him straight up for Bamba, not in the world were wings are super valuable and given his already tremendous improvements. I dont think Ainge would either, this entire articule smells like someone who doesnt watch the Celtics or Brown trying to put together a trade that to him makes sense but would never actually happen

« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2018, 04:09:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?
Gobert in his prime, probably, Gobert as a rookie with no idea where he ends up professionally, probably not.
I get this viewpoint on risk assessment.  I'd give these odds and I'd take the risk, but I get that we aren't in a position where we need to take risks.

5% - Bamba is Olajuwon defensively
25% - Bamba becomes Gobert
40% - Bamba is a serviceable role player
30% - Greg Oden

Barring injury, I don't see how he misses.
This is soo unbelievably generous to Mo Bamba
He's a consensus top 3 pick.  Here are historical expectations for top 3 picks over a 20 year sample:

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

I assigned 30% bust rate and 40% role player.  If anything I was extremely conservative.
You also assigned 25% top 5 defensive player and the real egregious one: 5% top 3 defensive player all time and one of the greatest players ever.

Also I'm surprised he's consensus top 3. Haven't read enough about the draft to disagree but I doubt that

He’s clearly not consensus top 3.  This entire thread is based on a rumor that the Celtics are looking to trade into the 4th or 5th slots to select him.  It’s not impossible that he’s selected 3rd, I suppose, because there’s a bit of uncertainty with the draft.  But anyone who thinks he’s consensus top-3 shouldn’t waste their time with a rumor in which we’re trading into the 5th spot. 

« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
What does everyone think it'll take to get Bamba?

Shane Larkin and Nader...Sweeten the pot with a seconder rounder.

« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
What does everyone think it'll take to get Bamba?

Shane Larkin and Nader...Sweeten the pot with a seconder rounder.
well, i will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean for the second rounder to be headed TO boston.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This has been the first place where I have read that Bamba is a consensus top 3 pick. If that's the case, then why are we bothering talking about trying to make a trade to get a pick between 4-6?

I was under the impression that Bamba was more like the 6 or 7 best prospect. This would make sense to me, especially when you consider a possible trade in the 4-6 range. Would Danny have to make the trade before the draft? If it's during the draft, the price may rise depending on who falls.

Two potential unicorns may fall in this range...Luka Doncic and Michael Porter, which is only due to their uncertainty. Will Doncic remain overseas? Porter had back surgery, so will it remain an issue going forward?