Author Topic: Number one Pick, Fantasy Football  (Read 6447 times)

Number one Pick, Fantasy Football
« on: August 17, 2015, 02:55:07 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I am in a PPR fantasy Football League. I have the number one pick and am totally up in the air as to who (whom?) to pick.
I'm leaning towards Jamal Charles, but there seems to be 4-5 players that deserve consideration as the number one pick also.
I'm hoping some of you might have more experience with this than I do.
Anyway, I am open to suggestions.
Thanks.

Re: Number one Pick, Fantasy Football
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
There are 5 different guys who could be targets with that pick. I personally like Adrain Peterson because a new offensive coordinator could increase his catches this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I like Charles.  Year in & year out, you have a solid idea of what you're going to get out of him. Might not be the highest ceiling but the bust potential is a lot less too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Don't think i would go Charles first overall this year. Been reading how they plan on giving him less of a workload this season because he's been such a work horse they don't want him breaking down later in the year.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
PPR you have to go with Bell. In standard, I'd go Lacy, he's the safe pick.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
I have a question for everyone though. In years past i have always gone RB usually with my first pick. But if you had say somewhere between 4-12 in the draft why not go with an Aaron Rodgers? He almost always is good for 30 points and RB i feel are estimated to get too many points and they sometimes don't live up to where you draft them. But outside of Peterson,Bell, Charles and Mccoy then why not going for the sure fire points and pair a stud QB with a WR from his team. Reason i say this is last year I had the 2 and 3rd pick in two different drafts went with AP in one and Shady in the other and both cost be dearly.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
Remember bell is out the first two games. Still should be considered with your top pick.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have a question for everyone though. In years past i have always gone RB usually with my first pick. But if you had say somewhere between 4-12 in the draft why not go with an Aaron Rodgers? He almost always is good for 30 points and RB i feel are estimated to get too many points and they sometimes don't live up to where you draft them. But outside of Peterson,Bell, Charles and Mccoy then why not going for the sure fire points and pair a stud QB with a WR from his team. Reason i say this is last year I had the 2 and 3rd pick in two different drafts went with AP in one and Shady in the other and both cost be dearly.

It always depends on the point system for me.  I feel like with RBs, there is always that first tier then a pretty significant dropoff.  If you can land a first tier RB and its 6 pt rushing/4 pt passing then I think you grab the RB.  Obviously, if the points are the same then you look real hard at taking the QB there instead. 

And if you can't nab that first tier RB, don't overdraft a RB and go QB or even top notch WR.  Its amazing to watch year after year, people overdraft RBs.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

You got unlucky with AP and, to a lesser extent, Shady last year (same happened to me in my main league). I'd take any of the top 5-6 backs over the likes of Dez, Brown, and Demaryius.

Edit: I almost never pick up an elite QB. And if you're picking in the 10-12 range, I'd personally recommend 'overdrafting' Jeremy Hill. I'm super high on him and by my estimations, he should finish no lower than the 6th or 7th RB in standard scoring.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I have the #2 pick in my league, planning on going Peterson or Lacy. Both have high floors and high ceilings.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd go with Peterson, Bell, or Lacy.

Charles is not consistent enough for a #1 pick in my opinion.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
RB in round 1.  Always.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 04:09:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
RB in round 1.  Always.

The caveat to this is if you find yourself in the middle of the 1st round, you might have to choose between taking one of the top 2nd tier RBs, or taking one of the very best wide receivers.

Personally, I'd go with a top wide receiver rather than betting on Demarco Murray or LeSean McCoy to duplicate last year's performance with a new team, or a relatively unproven guy taking over a larger role like CJ Anderson or Jeremy Hill.

But you have to think about what kind of player you might be able to get with your second pick.  Will there be a quality running back there for you in the teens or low twenties?

Also, how savvy is your league to rookies?  I'm usually able to get one or two nice rookie WRs or RBs in the draft because the guys in my league have a bias toward selecting guys who played well the year before.

That worked out really well for me last year with Kelvin Benjamin, for example.  Less so with Brandin Cooks.

This year I took flyers on Ameer Abdullah and Devante Parker.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
RB in round 1.  Always.

The caveat to this is if you find yourself in the middle of the 1st round, you might have to choose between taking one of the top 2nd tier RBs, or taking one of the very best wide receivers.

Personally, I'd go with a top wide receiver rather than betting on Demarco Murray or LeSean McCoy to duplicate last year's performance with a new team, or a relatively unproven guy taking over a larger role like CJ Anderson or Jeremy Hill.

But you have to think about what kind of player you might be able to get with your second pick.  Will there be a quality running back there for you in the teens or low twenties?

Also, how savvy is your league to rookies?  I'm usually able to get one or two nice rookie WRs or RBs in the draft because the guys in my league have a bias toward selecting guys who played well the year before.

That worked out really well for me last year with Kelvin Benjamin, for example.  Less so with Brandin Cooks.

This year I took flyers on Ameer Abdullah and Devante Parker.
the difference between a top flight WR to a lesser WR is much smaller than from a mid tier RB to a lesser RB.

RB in the first round and 2 in the first 3.  If you don't do that you kill your team.