Author Topic: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention  (Read 31072 times)

Re: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I think we went with the 20 weeks to maximize the awesomeness. My current thinking is to (a) switch to a 19 week season and (b) possibly expand the playoffs.

--------------

I believe there are a few different things we could do:

1. No change (20 wks + 3 round playoffs) -- We'll combine the 2 all-star break weeks, but leave our fantasy season at 20 weeks + 3 weeks of playoffs.

2. 19 week season + 3 round playoffs --- Pretty straightforward; The only change would be that each team would play 19 matchups (and every team 1x). The playoffs would still be 3 rounds, each 7 days long.

3. 19 week season + 3 round playoffs + extended championship round --- If we move to a 19 week season, we could extend the championship round to 2 full weeks + the 1-2 games in week 25.

4. 19 week season + 4 round playoffs (with or without extended championship round) --- If we move to a 19 week season we could expand the playoffs to 4 rounds and 12 teams and give the top 4 seeds a bye. The championship round could be 1 full week or 1 full-week + the 1-2 games in week 25.

Curious what other folks think.

This has come up for vote before. As I recall your predecessor, Lucky himself felt much same way you do. But further cutting down the fantasy season in a league that runs nearly year round has never gained much traction. I'm myself against starting the season in Week 2. Schedule parity is overrated and doesn't exist anywhere in pro sports.

Since we already end the season a week early we could have a two week finals now without further cuts? That otherwise doesn't strike me as much of a consolation. Eighteen guys are sitting on their hands by that point. I'll give proposal 4 some thought though.

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
This means that amendments will now pass with a majority vote of at least 15 GMs. Ironically this passed using the old rules, but would have failed for lack of a quorum under the new rules  :P ???

Funny. (Is it possible to also spam the league via Yahoo? I wonder if some guys aren't checking their forum messages.)

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Oh, and this is entirely dependent on Yahoo, but if possible, I'm in favor of combining the two Fantasy weeks badly abbreviated by the longer All Star break.

This need not be voted on -- it will be done (manually by me) this season. I checked at the end of last season and saw that I could have, if i'd realized it, chagned it in the start of the season.

There is a scheduling glitch/question that will remain unchanged for this season but I'd like to get folks' input on for NEXT season:

With 20 teams in the league --a 19 week season would mean each team plays every other team 1x.

However.... we've had a 20 week season + 3 week playoff for as long as I've been in the league. This means that each team plays the the same team in Week 1 and Week 20.

For example, I played the #17 team twice last year (en route to the title) and the #4 team twice the year before when i missed the playoffs.

This strikes me as unfair, if completely random, for the teams that pull the toughest teams in Week 1 (and therefore Week 20).

I think we went with the 20 weeks to maximize the awesomeness. My current thinking is to (a) switch to a 19 week season and (b) possibly expand the playoffs.

--------------

I believe there are a few different things we could do:

1. No change (20 wks + 3 round playoffs) -- We'll combine the 2 all-star break weeks, but leave our fantasy season at 20 weeks + 3 weeks of playoffs.

2. 19 week season + 3 round playoffs --- Pretty straightforward; The only change would be that each team would play 19 matchups (and every team 1x). The playoffs would still be 3 rounds, each 7 days long.

3. 19 week season + 3 round playoffs + extended championship round --- If we move to a 19 week season, we could extend the championship round to 2 full weeks + the 1-2 games in week 25.

4. 19 week season + 4 round playoffs (with or without extended championship round) --- If we move to a 19 week season we could expand the playoffs to 4 rounds and 12 teams and give the top 4 seeds a bye. The championship round could be 1 full week or 1 full-week + the 1-2 games in week 25.

Curious what other folks think.

I think we should at least do Option 2.

I'd be open to discussing Option 3.

I haven't given Option 4 enough thought to know if I like it or not... It might lead to more teams being engaged with 12 instead of 8 teams qualifying for the playoffs. But there might be some unintended consequences.

Not a fan of #1, #3 or #4.

I like #2 b/c with the combined All Star weeks, the 19 matchups end at the normal time. In #1, the combined All Star weeks caused the finals to be a week later, which is always sketchy b/c so many players are sitting out for some reason.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
This means that amendments will now pass with a majority vote of at least 15 GMs. Ironically this passed using the old rules, but would have failed for lack of a quorum under the new rules  :P ???

Funny. (Is it possible to also spam the league via Yahoo? I wonder if some guys aren't checking their forum messages.)

I always send the notice(s) via PM and to the email addresses I have on file for each team.

(I worry though that you didn't get one if you're asking that...)
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I like Option 2 - 19 week season just means the same schedule as always, with 2 matchups combined into 1, so we begin and end at the same time as always with the advantage of doing a true round robin now.  The playoff #s are just fine as-is too. 

The only other one I'd consider is #3 - a 2 week finals could cut down on some of the injury/rest volatility that happens late in the season.  But my preference is #2.

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

I want to give big props and a TP to GC for doing a bang-up job as Czar of the H2H League!

All of these changes (passed or not-passed) are making a great league even better!

Mk

P.S. This one is for the Champ.

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
11. The league will hold a rookie draft each season in mid-September.

Proposed Amendment #2:
-------------------------------
(revised) 11. The league will hold a rookie draft each season in mid-August.

------------

Reasoning: Really straight-forward, moving the rookie draft up 1 month. This would allow an extra month of wheeling-and-dealing before the cut-down date and allow future draft picks to be traded earlier in the offseason.
I find this a bad idea because it's one of the busiest and most silent parts of the year. People are on vacation or busy as hell as work. I see it in multiple boards.

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2015, 12:02:19 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
11. The league will hold a rookie draft each season in mid-September.

Proposed Amendment #2:
(revised) 11. The league will hold a rookie draft each season in mid-August.

------------

Reasoning: Really straight-forward, moving the rookie draft up 1 month. This would allow an extra month of wheeling-and-dealing before the cut-down date and allow future draft picks to be traded earlier in the offseason.
I find this a bad idea because it's one of the busiest and most silent parts of the year. People are on vacation or busy as hell as work. I see it in multiple boards.

There will of course never be a time (during the year or during the day/night) that works for all 20 gms.

I'm assuming (or hoping ) that our 20 GMs are voting based on their potential availabilty.

FWIW, Celticsblog Draft always used to happen in July/Aug and get 30 active GMs.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
These amendments have been proposed, discussed and seconded and will therefore be voted on Aug. 14-17 via Doodle.com

additions in bold italic red
deletions are bold and struckthrough
consent additions in bold blue

Proposed Consent Amendment A ** PASSED by acclimation
Clarify difference between trade submission and approval dates.
---------------------------------------
(will be adopted by acclimation unless someone objects by Aug. 13)

23. In-season trades shall have a 1 day approval period, to allow league GMs to review and exercise veto, if necessary. One-third of league GMs exercising veto power (e.g., at least 7) are required to overturn any trade.1 Trades must be submitted, not approved, by any relevant deadline (i.e. cutdown date, in-season trade deadline, etc.).

Proposed by THE Walker Wiggle, seconded by Gainesville Celtic

Constitutional Amendment #1 ** PASSED 12-0-1
Revised vote totals needed for amendments
10. A majority vote from the 20 GMs (e.g., 11 or more) is required to amend any league rule. A quorum of 15 votes (including abstentions) is necessary for any amendment to pass.

Proposed by Gainesville Celtic, seconded by Yall Hate

Constitutional Amendment #2
Move the rookie draft from mid-Sept. to mid-Aug. (Revised article)
11. The league will hold a rookie draft each season in mid-September August.

Proposed by Gainesville Celtic, seconded by Yall Hate

Constitutional Amendment #3
Two moves per week allowed during playoffs (Revised article)
22. Each team may make a maximum of 50 roster moves during the regular season. Teams are limited to one 2 moves a week during playoffs.

(note: Should this amendment fail, the constituion will be consent amended to reflect the current practice of allowing only 1 move per week during playoffs.)

Proposed by THE Walker Wiggle, seconded by Mkogav

Constitutional Amendment #4

Stretch the rookie draft across two days (revised article)
13. The rookie draft will be held on the CelticsBlog.com forums over two-days. Any GM unable to participate can send the commissioner or a proxy an ordered list of picks to choose from.

Proposed by THE Walker Wiggle, seconded by Mkogav

Can't do a more nuanced quote on my phone but here's the results:

Amendment #2: PASSED 13-0-2 (draft moved to mid-Aug next yr)

Amendment #3: PASSED 12-3-0 (incr playoff moves to 2/wk)

Amendment #4: FAILED for lack of quorum 7-5-2 (2-day rookie draft)

I'll post pics of the votes after kayaking w my wife for her bday.

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Nice, I like all of the results
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

I propose removing the commissioner from his duties.  Putting his wife's bday ahead of his duties here shows a flagrant lack of respect for not just his duties but also all of us.

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I propose removing the commissioner from his duties.  Putting his wife's bday ahead of his duties here shows a flagrant lack of respect for not just his duties but also all of us.

Seriously though, kayaking?  That has to be up there with when I got my wife a refurbished dyaom for Christmas
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2015, 10:38:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The only thing I think is odd is that on amendment 2 I coulda sworn I voted against it. Whether I did or didn't I seem to have been overwhelmingly defeated so it doesn't matter much. I ain't gonna cry like a Floridan on election day in 2000.

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
The only thing I think is odd is that on amendment 2 I coulda sworn I voted against it. Whether I did or didn't I seem to have been overwhelmingly defeated so it doesn't matter much. I ain't gonna cry like a Floridan on election day in 2000.

Thanks for pointing this out. You're right. I transposed the against & abstentions. The final tally was 13-2-0 not 13-0-2.

Of course if anyone ever sees something like this w votes or rosters please speak up!

Other differences from Florida (c. 2000): no one had to wait 2, 3 or 4 hrs to vote; and no one's father's appointments to the Supreme Court had to step in to stop the recount so we actually counted every vote  8)

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm just glad to know I'm not insane or cixelsyd. 

And that I didn't vote for Buchanan or someone else at the insistence of the Black Panthers. Luckily I had the arm strength to actually make a vote instead of a quasi vote resulting in a dimpled chad. And I want to thank Gainesville for not requesting an ID because that would have been teeeerrrrriiibbbblleee. Although I wish Gains had declared me the winner before the voting was done. 

Also ...I want three recounts.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:46:15 AM by eja117 »