Author Topic: What if?? Anthony Davis  (Read 3723 times)

What if?? Anthony Davis
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:00:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
My opinion is that New Orleans will keep Davis..only way he leaving is he opts out and he would sign with the Lakers..so my question is what Ainge backup plan? Keep same roster next season? Or go after someone else?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: What if?? Anthony Davis
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
My opinion is that New Orleans will keep Davis..only way he leaving is he opts out and he would sign with the Lakers..so my question is what Ainge backup plan? Keep same roster next season? Or go after someone else?

The reality is that Danny is sitting in a sweet spot regardless.  If a Davis deal doesn't present itself then I assume that we move forward with a similar version of the current team.  Danny will be opportunistic as usual, but I think the real plan has already been executed (assuming we re-sign Irving). 

Aside from the AD drama, I think the most interesting Celtics off-season story will be Horford's player option.  I expect Danny to entice Al with long term security at less per year.  Horford loves it in Boston and I assume he's willing to do his part in keeping the group together. 

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Need a few things to become clearer. What happens at trade deadline, where do the team's picks land, where are FAs going, how the team's players finish the season, and who opts in or out?

There will be a lot of factors in deciding if the team remains the same but I see a large change happening. Is that AD? I very much doubt it but there should be a shuffle.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:46:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hopefully another big becomes available. We will have a lot of picks to offer a team that is rebuilding. No one comes to mind that I’d want though.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think Porzingas is the backup plan.

He has been unhappy in the past, coming off am injury...I think, he can be pried away, or can force his way out.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
I would pass on Porzingas..injuries concern me and at his height, those players dont last wrong

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 09:09:30 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'd be happy to roll with what we have.  Draft a couple of bigs to develop (Jontay Porter, please) and a guard to replace Rozier.  Tatum, Brown, and Time Lord are only going to get better. 

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:23:43 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
I just want a legit CENTER!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

The reality is that Danny is sitting in a sweet spot regardless.  If a Davis deal doesn't present itself then I assume that we move forward with a similar version of the current team.  Danny will be opportunistic as usual, but I think the real plan has already been executed (assuming we re-sign Irving). 

Aside from the AD drama, I think the most interesting Celtics off-season story will be Horford's player option.  I expect Danny to entice Al with long term security at less per year.  Horford loves it in Boston and I assume he's willing to do his part in keeping the group together.

Let's hope that Al's agent doesn't poison his thinking in this respect. Brad is really the best coach for Al and the setup in Boston is perfect for him to be both low key and influential at the same time.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

God, no.

Move on from Horford and get someone younger.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

God, no.

Absolutely. Nice salary filler for Davis, and otherwise just let him walk after next season. Don't tie up long-term salary for Horford.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Mortgaging the future now without Kyrie locked up is not smart.  Need to get him resigned first before any other major moves.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

God, no.

Absolutely. Nice salary filler for Davis, and otherwise just let him walk after next season. Don't tie up long-term salary for Horford.

Just to clarify, I'm suggesting that the Celtics should try to entice Horford with a team friendly deal that allows him to finish his career in Boston.  I think you might be underestimating Horford's desire to finish his career with the Celtics.  I doubt he will want to leave before this group reaches its apex.  He has made over $150 million in his career.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could easily see him taking a 4 year deal at an average of $15 million per year.  There could be player and/or team option that allow both sides to reassess the situation after the first two years.  The Celtics could also front load or back load the deal depending on whichever makes the most sense. The goal would be for Horford to slowly transition into a bench role after a couple of seasons.

Keep in mind that the salary cap is projected to gradually increase by $15 million through the 2022-23 season.  We could see an even larger increase if the NBA is successful in negotiating their share of Sports Betting profits. 

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
why a new thread on davis? we must have 4 or 5 already.

mods, maybe merge this with an earlier one?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just want a legit CENTER!!!

You have to travel time with Timelord to get one.