Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 62861 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We pushed them to 6th worst

It took me about 30 tries on tankathon for this to convey to Celtics

Meaning we are where we want it to be.. It will roll over if they can stay this bad or worse

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Meaning we are where we want it to be.. It will roll over if they can stay this bad or worse
I think I'd rather have it convey this year.  Makes it a better pick to use in a trade for Davis (agree before draft, make trade when new year starts) and there are no guarantees of where it will eventually end up.  Sure it might end up #1 in 2021 or it could end up in the teens in 2020 or 2021.  Just too much unpredictability in those type of things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I think I'd rather have it convey this year.  Makes it a better pick to use in a trade for Davis (agree before draft, make trade when new year starts) and there are no guarantees of where it will eventually end up.  Sure it might end up #1 in 2021 or it could end up in the teens in 2020 or 2021.  Just too much unpredictability in those type of things.

I'm not sure that's true. I guess it depends on how the Pelicans view it but if I were the Pelicans looking to rebuild, I'm seeing that the protections on the pick go down more next year and then go away the year after, I'm seeing a Western conference that is still stacked, Gasol and Conley are another year older. I think it becomes a more valuable asset if it rolls over a season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I'm not sure that's true. I guess it depends on how the Pelicans view it but if I were the Pelicans looking to rebuild, I'm seeing that the protections on the pick go down more next year and then go away the year after, I'm seeing a Western conference that is still stacked, Gasol and Conley are another year older. I think it becomes a more valuable asset if it rolls over a season.
true. Giving it more thought, also there's value in having picks in different years rather than a bunch this year. Having a shot in a different batch of prospects must have a decent market value. Most around the league, even the grizzlies themselves, believe grizz will be bad, so it's likely the pelicans believe the same and desire the rolled over  pick
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:48:13 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

true. Giving it more thought, also there's value in having picks in different years rather than a bunch this year. Having a shot in a different batch of prospects must have a decent market value. Most around the league, even the grizzlies themselves, believe grizz will be bad, so it's likely the pelicans believe the same and desire the rolled over  pick

That's a good point. They even traded 2 second rounders for Justin Holiday to get them a few more wins to let the pick convey this year. That's panic mode, but also the awareness that there's no route for the Grizzlies to become a playoff candidate the next 2 years.

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2019, 12:09:00 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

That's a good point. They even traded 2 second rounders for Justin Holiday to get them a few more wins to let the pick convey this year. That's panic mode, but also the awareness that there's no route for the Grizzlies to become a playoff candidate the next 2 years.

Someone during the tv broadcast last night, I believe it was Gorman, said that several teams are eying this pick and their interest in it would increase significantly if it does not convey this year.

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

This is so fact. All they really have is Jaren Jackson and a couple of other guys that don't really make this team good. They may get the 5th or 6th pick this but the draft isn't all that good so they may end up with a player that will keep them in lottery and possibly the very bottom 5 of the standings next year. I doubt that these 3 players, along with FA signings (what really good players want to come here?) will make enough of a contribution to not make this pick in 2021 a "Brooklyn-type" pick, meaning a top 5 pick. I think DA is hoping for the same thing.

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2019, 12:05:25 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
 Outscored 45-14 in the third quarter. Score 100-62 after three. Garbage time began before the fourth. :o

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2019, 12:59:53 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

This is so fact. All they really have is Jaren Jackson and a couple of other guys that don't really make this team good. They may get the 5th or 6th pick this but the draft isn't all that good so they may end up with a player that will keep them in lottery and possibly the very bottom 5 of the standings next year. I doubt that these 3 players, along with FA signings (what really good players want to come here?) will make enough of a contribution to not make this pick in 2021 a "Brooklyn-type" pick, meaning a top 5 pick. I think DA is hoping for the same thing.

Gasol will be gone after this year if not sooner

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Gasol will be gone after this year if not sooner

I honestly do think it would be in their best interest to move him and Conley. Tank as hard as you can this year and next to get a couple of young pieces to put with Jaren Jackson and build around those guys. There just isn't really a path forward for them with Gasol and Conley and Jackson is on a totally different timeline.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I guess we should start a '20-'21 Memphis season watch thread.
Here's the top prospects for that draft, since we'll have a top 5 pick lol.

#   Player   Pos.   Player Report   Comp.   ↕
1   Jalen Green   SG   HT: 6-6 - WT: 175 - WING: 6-7 1/2 - FROM: Fresno, CA
Jalen Green might be the best prospect in high school basketball, regardless of class. He's a sensational athlete with truly elite leaping ability and a scorers mentality. He heads an insanely strong class, which projects as the best draft class in many years.
Comp: Kobe   

2   Evan Mobley   PF   HT: 7-0 - WT: 192 - WING: 7-4 - FROM: Temecula, CA
A tall, long and bouncy big man who is making moves up boards and shows flashes of big time ability. Needs to get stronger and fill out his frame but has all the makings of a potential top 5 pick.
Comp: Myles Turner

3   R.J. Hampton   PG   HT: 6-4 - WT: 170 - WING: 6-7 - FROM: Little Elm, TX
Hampton is a dynamic PG who has great size for the position, an elite first step and a polished all around game. He can shoot from deep, get to the rim and he has the type of athletic ability and elite skill level only found in top 5 picks.
Comp: John Wall with a jumper   

4   Isaiah Todd   PF   HT: 6-10 - WT: 200 - WING: 7-0 - FROM: Richmond, VA
Todd is a silky smooth and ultra talented power forward who plays a finesse game. He can shoot it with range, take his man off the bounce and use his awesome mobility and coordination to blow by defenders.
Comp: Chris Bosh   

5   Jalen Johnson   SF   HT: 6-7 - WT: 200 - WING: 6-10 1/2 - FROM: Sun Prairie, WI
Jalen is a long and talented wing with great court awareness and legit point forward skills. He's a plus athlete who can really get off the floor and is lethal in transition.
Comp: Paul Pierce

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
I think I'd rather have it convey this year. Makes it a better pick to use in a trade for Davis (agree before draft, make trade when new year starts) and there are no guarantees of where it will eventually end up.  Sure it might end up #1 in 2021 or it could end up in the teens in 2020 or 2021.  Just too much unpredictability in those type of things.

Yeah, agree it's safer to take it now assuming it's lottery at say #9 or #10. Reminds me of the poll last year: would you rather have Lakers 2018 #10 pick or SAC 2019 pick?

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Start the Memphis Grizzlies 2019-20 Season Watch Thread. This Memphis team will easily finish in bottom 8 this year. Time to focus on next year.

I guess we should start a '20-'21 Memphis season watch thread.

I haven't written off the season yet.  :P The standings are still too bunched up.

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2019, 04:58:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think they trade Gasol and Conley though and get assets for them.  The Kings elevated pretty quickly without any super high picks, just by having a volume of young players and cap space.  The Nets, without any top tier draft picks, went from the worst teams in the league to above .500 and the current 6th seed in the East very quickly, just by acquiring a volume of young players and drafting well (from the end of the 1st round).  If the Grizzlies trade Gasol at the deadline this year and move on from Conley next summer, there is a pretty decent chance that the pick to Boston that conveys in 2021 won't be a very high pick.  Certainty is often far more important to value then uncertainty. 

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2019, 04:59:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I disagree.  I think that they are trying to make a full on tank a viable route to take.  There is no point in that if they don't own their 2021 pick.  If they own that pick, though it allows them a viable route to tank, which in fact gives them more options going forward.