Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 36752 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746023-giancarlo-stanton-trade-rumors-red-sox-have-mild-interest-in-star

Red Sox said to only have "tepid" interest in Stanton. (According to Cafardo)

Another rumor I've heard is that the Sox may trade JBJ, Chavis + 2 more prospects for Jose Abreu (1B, can hit 30+ HR consistently and hit .304 last season, with average defense), and then sign Jay Bruce on a 2 year deal to play RF while Mookie goes to CF (w/JBJ gone in Abreu trade). In a sense, that keeps Hanley DH and adds 2 power hitters in Bruce and Abreu. Moreland leaves, while the hope is they also re-sign Nunez or trade for another cheap infielder to play in place of Pedroia who likely misses a good chunk of season due to injury.

What are people's thoughts about that? (Again, just a rumor, no concrete report yet)

Abreu is a great target, but I don't think they have to give up both JBJ and Chavis to get him.
Bruce is a streaky hitter, low OBP type, who can probably play RF at Fenway.

I hesitate to trade JBJ, who could break out as a hitter anytime. Too much talent there. Chavis is a better choice for Abreu, though WSox like JBJ.

Well then if you keep JBJ, that's your team + Abreu.

No room for Bruce.

I just don't think they are keeping BOTH JBJ/Bogaerts long term (because of Betts, Sale, etc also in line for extensions) so one will be gone soon to upgrade elsewhere via trade.
For someone with 2 Silver Slugger awards, Bogaerts' regress is incomprehensible to me. He'd be the first one I'd dangle as bait out there.
His regression baffles me as well and thats why Im not trading him.

Hope for a resurgence. Hes really talented.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 03:49:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746023-giancarlo-stanton-trade-rumors-red-sox-have-mild-interest-in-star

Another rumor I've heard is that the Sox may trade JBJ, Chavis + 2 more prospects for Jose Abreu (1B, can hit 30+ HR consistently and hit .304 last season, with average defense), and then sign Jay Bruce on a 2 year deal to play RF while Mookie goes to CF (w/JBJ gone in Abreu trade). In a sense, that keeps Hanley DH and adds 2 power hitters in Bruce and Abreu. Moreland leaves, while the hope is they also re-sign Nunez or trade for another cheap infielder to play in place of Pedroia who likely misses a good chunk of season due to injury.

What are people's thoughts about that? (Again, just a rumor, no concrete report yet)

Abreu is a great target, but I don't think they have to give up both JBJ and Chavis to get him.

I hesitate to trade JBJ, who could break out as a hitter anytime. Too much talent there. Chavis is a better choice for Abreu, though WSox like JBJ.

No room for Bruce.

I just don't think they are keeping BOTH JBJ/Bogaerts long term (because of Betts, Sale, etc also in line for extensions) so one will be gone soon to upgrade elsewhere via trade.
For someone with 2 Silver Slugger awards, Bogaerts' regress is incomprehensible to me. He'd be the first one I'd dangle as bait out there.

Based on the body of work over 4 full seasons it seems he'd be closer to the 10 HR guy that bats .280 than to the 20 HR, .300 avg one. That's a significant difference for someone who's not known to be a plus defender at his position.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 03:57:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, I like Abreu. I also like Stanton. I don't want Martinez/Hosmer/next guy to have a career year then be average/above average. If the Sox are shelling out big dough, I want Stanton, Harper, Trout type talent.

Stanton is just way too risky. Contract, trade price, somewhat injury prone, and also probably doesn't want to come to Boston (No Trade Clause). Prefers Dodgers or probably either Giants/Cardinals.

Harper is going NYY or Cubs (hopefully Cubs). Maybe staying with WAS but doubt it.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

No room for Bruce.

Based on the body of work over 4 full seasons it seems he'd be closer to the 10 HR guy that bats .280 than to the 20 HR, .300 avg one. That's a significant difference for someone who's not known to be a plus defender at his position.
Hes more talented than those numbers tho.

I think hes got a good chance to figure it out.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This is from SoSH. There's a blurb from Cameron's fangraphs chat today on Bradley and Abreu.

"12:46
Jordan : White Sox fans seem to think they could get JBJ+ top prospects, or Ben+ top prospects for Abreu, I contend that between age, $$$ and the glut of similar free agents means Abreu isn’t worth JBJ or Ben or top prospects, what’s your thoughts on his value?

12:46
Dave Cameron: Bradley is worth so much more than Abreu, it’s not even close.

12:47
Ryan: Abreu opted into arb so he is going to make 17.9M this year according to MLBTR. Even worse for Boston.

Dave Cameron: I’ll take the under on him getting $18M, but yeah, good point.

Dave Cameron: He got $11M as an arb-1 last year, so after a good year, he’s probably over $16M this year, and maybe $20M next year.

12:48
Dave Cameron: So now he’s more like 2/$35M, maybe 2/$40M?

12:48
Dave Cameron: You’d take him at those prices, but if you give up something really valuable to get it, it’s a mistake.

12:49
striker: RedSox get Abreu
Giants get JBJ
WhiteSox get Groome and Arroyo

12:49
Dave Cameron: Dombrowski gets insta-fired.

12:50
Dave Cameron: Also, the world in which the Giants can turn Christian Arroyo into Jackie Bradley Jr must be a fun one.

Brian: Is JBJ and Michael Chavis or Sam Travis enough, too little or too much for Jose Abreu?

Dave Cameron: I can’t believe how many JBJ+ for Abreu suggestions are in the queue.

12:51
Dave Cameron: Bradley is better than Abreu, cheaper than Abreu, and under team control for longer than Abreu. Also, there’s a billion first baseman on the market this winter, and only one good CF."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

No room for Bruce.

on xander, i believe i read an article that showed a clear decline in his hitting after he returned from his injury. i couldnt find it though, so take this with a grain of salt.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

No room for Bruce.

on xander, i believe i read an article that showed a clear decline in his hitting after he returned from his injury. i couldnt find it though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately with Xander, he gets off to great starts (at all-star place), but then seems to just go ice cold 2nd half of season, which carries into playoffs. Same with JBJ.

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
12:51
Dave Cameron: Bradley is better than Abreu, cheaper than Abreu, and under team control for longer than Abreu. Also, there’s a billion first baseman on the market this winter, and only one good CF."
How poor of a player is Abreu then, given that JBJ is clearly our third best outfielder? That's just nonsense.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think Abreu for JBJ makes sense to me because 1) Abreu is a cleanup hitter and first baseman they don't have with a friendly contract, and 2) JBJ is expendable with Betts ready to play CF. It's a pretty equal trade when you add JBJ's defensive stats. One of the top CFers in the game.

The Red Sox are loaded in the OF. They even have a kid Brentz, who seems to have found himself as a hitter, leading AAA in HRs last year. He needs a serious look.

Bradley could break out at any time as a hitter. He certainly has shown streaks of power. He should be enough to get Abreu without any major prospects added. Looks like an even deal to me.

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Jeter just did what a lot of people suspected was in the cards all along. Stanton to the Yankees.
It looks like a lot of those other teams were just a setup.

On paper, the Yankee lineup looks ridiculous. But neither Stanton nor Judge figures to repeat the year they had last year. Stanton, especially, is injury prone.

The Yankees had a magical year last year in which nearly everyone overachieved. They might just come back to earth this year--even with Stanton. And they lost their 2nd baseman, Castro, in the Stanton deal. Castro hit an unbelievable .300 last year.

The real need for the Yankees is starting pitching. Other than Severino, the other starters are questionable. They don't have the starting rotation to win a championship. But wait a few days. They've been a 900lb gorilla of decades outspending everybody ($1 billion in luxury taxes!), and it looks like that gorilla is thirsty for another championship.

Meanwhile Mr Henry spends too much time counting his money and making poor financial baseball decisions.

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Jeter just did what a lot of people suspected was in the cards all along. Stanton to the Yankees.

On paper, the Yankee lineup looks ridiculous. But neither Stanton nor Judge figures to repeat the year they had last year. Stanton, especially, is injury prone.

The Yankees had a magical year last year in which nearly everyone overachieved. They might just come back to earth this year--even with Stanton. And they lost their 2nd baseman, Castro, in the Stanton deal. Castro hit an unbelievable .300 last year.

The real need for the Yankees is starting pitching. Other than Severino, the other starters are questionable. They don't have the starting rotation to win a championship. But wait a few days. They've been a 900lb gorilla of decades outspending everybody ($1 billion in luxury taxes!), and it looks like that gorilla is thirsty for another championship.

Meanwhile Mr Henry spends too much time counting his money and making poor financial baseball decisions.

Yeah, sucks to hear. Last night was awful, from the Celtics suffering that heartbreaking loss, to realizing the Yankees could get Stanton (and this morning, they did).

Either way, Red Sox HAVE to do something, otherwise ratings will definitely be down next year and lots of fans are going to be mad.

Part of me wonders if they will now be in play for Harper next winter, or another star FA (not Machado, b/c he hates us LOL).

Apparently Sox are now showing interest in Pat Neshek, so maybe they add him or Bryan Shaw (another GREAT RELIEVER) to help out with the BP a bit.

But at this point, it's JD Martinez or bust this winter. Hosmer is overrated (NOT a power bat), and while I like Carlos Santana, he's just not going to cut it either. Logan Morrison, maybe, since he hit 38 HR last year, but that could be a big anomaly as well.

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Yeah, sucks to hear. Last night was awful, from the Celtics suffering that heartbreaking loss, to realizing the Yankees could get Stanton (and this morning, they did).

Either way, Red Sox HAVE to do something, otherwise ratings will definitely be down next year and lots of fans are going to be mad.

Part of me wonders if they will now be in play for Harper next winter, or another star FA (not Machado, b/c he hates us LOL).

Apparently Sox are now showing interest in Pat Neshek, so maybe they add him or Bryan Shaw (another GREAT RELIEVER) to help out with the BP a bit.

But at this point, it's JD Martinez or bust this winter. Hosmer is overrated (NOT a power bat), and while I like Carlos Santana, he's just not going to cut it either. Logan Morrison, maybe, since he hit 38 HR last year, but that could be a big anomaly as well.
ratings down? this is the boston red sox we are talking about. the fans will not start abandeoning the sox because the yankees get a star player.

stanton helps the yankees, of course. but as was pointed out above, the team as a whole out played their talent and they still have starting pitching weaknesses. over 162 games that weakness will show up.

and the sox have not yet made their big off season move, so let's wait and see folks.

though...i must confess...for the marlins to sell their only real start and attraction just to get salary relief? no top prospects, which the marlins desperately need?

derek jerkface jeter just bent over harder for the yankees on that trade than he did fielding grounders for them in his career.

well, back to the good old days of sox hating yanks and vice versa.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:46:22 AM by hwangjini_1 »
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Giants fan here, and I'm still disappointed by this. It's hard to convince Stanton to come to the Bay after a 98 loss season, but I thought we could have convinced him that part of it is injuries, and we could bounce back.

With that said, at least he's not going to the Dodgers.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

ratings down? this is the boston red sox we are talking about. the fans will not start abandeoning the sox because the yankees get a star player.

stanton helps the yankees, of course. but as was pointed out above, the team as a whole out played their talent and they still have starting pitching weaknesses. over 162 games that weakness will show up.

and the sox have not yet made their big off season move, so let's wait and see folks.

Hey I'm a Sox fan for life, and I'll stay even in a 120-loss season, but I'm talking about the fan base in general. Apparently, Gregorious-Stanton-Judge-Sanchez hit 169 HR last year. Red Sox only had 168 from everyone on the team...

And I only said ratings would go down IF the Sox whiff on the other big name targets and pretty much bring back the same team as last year (or just a "moderate upgrade" like Santana or Morrison at 1B instead of Moreland).

Now my hope is, the Sox can land JD Martinez for like 6/160M, although now there may be a bit of a bidding war with SF Giants and St. Louis (who were denied Stanton's services earlier).

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I hope you are right that the Yankees overachieved, but they seem to overachieve a lot in recent history.  Their starting pitching is a big question mark.

I hope Price returns to form, and Porcello rebounds back a little.  Maybe Rodriguez makes the jump as a starter too, and we get Wright back too.