Author Topic: Ballerz vs Nerds  (Read 2137 times)

Re: Ballerz vs Nerds
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 12:24:59 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Can you guys believe Danny keeps drafting these guys who read books and have interests? Completely baffling team construction. We should only have players that attended class once or twice and let their tutors do the rest. That’s how you know they’re good at basketball!

Good lord at this [dang] thread.

Actually you know they are good at basketball by their production on the court, not what they read in their spare time.

Which would be exactly the reason why this thread is so needless. We don’t need players who aren’t nerds to win, we need good basketball players. Whether they spend their spare time playing cones of dunshire or 2K, all that matters is what they do on the court, and their interests off it don’t impact whether they are good on it.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 12:26:11 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Can you guys believe Danny keeps drafting these guys who read books and have interests? Completely baffling team construction. We should only have players that attended class once or twice and let their tutors do the rest. That’s how you know they’re good at basketball!

Actually you know they are good at basketball by their production on the court, not what they read in their spare time.

And there is a long list of all-time greats who are intelligent, non-gangsters. Smart players are actually more valuable than ever in the NBA today. Kawhi? Steph? These guys aren't exactly street ballers. Plenty of guys with enormous talent fall out of the league because they can't figure out team defense, spacing, or how to find the open man. Or they're not professional enough for the NBA lifestyle.

Equating "nerds" and "soft" with drafting high character guys outside the lottery is pretty silly IMO. All of these guys can play and are primarily valued for that.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 12:27:39 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Which would be exactly the reason why this thread is so needless. We don’t need players who aren’t nerds to win, we need good basketball players. Whether they spend their spare time playing cones of dunshire or 2K, all that matters is what they do on the court, and their interests off it don’t impact whether they are good on it.

So why the emphasis on 'high character' when assessing these players. Why do we care that Jaylen Brown plays chess or that Grant Williams turned down Harvard and Yale.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 12:28:15 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Yeah Toronto is full of a bunch of “ballerz” like Kawhi, Lowry, Green, Ibaka, Gasol, etc.

Yawn.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 12:31:05 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
Klay Thompson is so gangster ;D

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 12:32:12 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Yeah Toronto is full of a bunch of “ballerz” like Kawhi, Lowry, Green, Ibaka, Gasol, etc.

Yawn.

Yeah they are high character guys who play chess and turned down Harvard and Yale, arent they.

Yawn

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Hahahaha he is high character ... why dont you check what he did in his last year at WSU, and the trash talking he just got into with Drake.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 01:28:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hahahaha he is high character ... why dont you check what he did in his last year at WSU, and the trash talking he just got into with Drake.
This thread is just full of absurd takes from you. Grant Williams routinely bodied opposition players on the court and exaggerated contact to get calls, yet you're trashing him because he's smart. What on earth is your issue??

Perhaps the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen here.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 01:41:34 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I made a thread about what I see to be a team building philosophy I see with Danny that I do not believe is a winning strategy. I have not trashed anyone.

I just do not buy into drafting players that will not move the needle and then justifying it by non basketball reasoning.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 01:51:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I made a thread about what I see to be a team building philosophy I see with Danny that I do not believe is a winning strategy. I have not trashed anyone.

I just do not buy into drafting players that will not move the needle and then justifying it by non basketball reasoning.
Yeah, but they only don't move the needle according to you
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 01:56:00 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Yeah, but they only don't move the needle according to you

excuse me for expressing my opinion on a fan blog.