Author Topic: Jemele Hill's apology  (Read 19237 times)

Re: Jemele Hill's apology
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2008, 06:08:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Yeah, Jemele Hill is the captain of the bad writer's hall of fame.

Her work is usually pretty bad and all over the map. ...typical shock writing.

At least Bill Simmons doesn't take himself seriously. He writes with a large wink to the audience that this is all fun and games.

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2008, 06:23:14 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
dpin, we're splitting hairs here.  My problem is with the comparison in any capacity between two absolute ignorant racists and somebody who absolutely isn't.  ESPN clearly took on the unwarranted PC mantra with Rush's comments to satisfy the various poverty pimps and race baiters.   Further, whether Rush was right or wrong in his opinion, what he said was his opinion...Hence, "I think".  He was on that panel as a fan.  Along the lines of Dennis Miller on MNF.  Perhaps should have been more learned before expressing his opinion. Although I believe his opinion wasn't that far off.  What the media was doing with McNabb before he was worthy of the adulation was akin to what Dick Enberg did in his adulation of John Elway before he accomplished anything in the NFL.  Every time Elway would complete a 5 yard pass or have a successful basic NFL play, Enberg would scream ELLLLLWAYYYYYYYYYY like he just won the Super Bowl.  I never understood it.

Hill, on the other hand, is supposed to be a sports journalist and expert.  What she spouts out is wrong, hateful, based in nothing, and void of any literacy.  I don't mind expert's opinions as long as the opinions are based in something concrete.  But it would be nice if the person spouting her opinions writes and talks like a person who at least graduated from the 6th grade.  Whether she knows where the spell check button is or not.

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

If a person reads a Jemele Hill column or listens to IMUS and gets offended when they laughed the day before when he offended someone else, it's the height of hypocrisy.

Who's doing that?

Well I would say that if a guy goes from being a top rated radio host and the next day after saying something well within his character for the past 20 years people want him fired, I'd say a lot of people probably did that

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2008, 12:41:38 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Apparently ESPN is so emboldened to EEOC or they have a considerable audience of absolute fools that I'm not aware of.  Either way, I've lost any confidence in their ability to hire universally quality people.  I'm not calling for Hill's firing.  I don't know how anybody looking for even an average writer, as well as a decent person would hire her in the first place. 

Apparently, ESPN has an audience who can understand Hill speak without captions....(pretty amazing feat)....and stay tuned in.  Apparently ESPN has readership who can read Hill's idiotic, ignorant, and baseless rants and get something out of it.  Apparently ESPN has an audience who likes having steven i smith shouting occasionally ignorant, but always baseless and wrong stupidity at them...Followed by more idiots on JG Wentworth commercials shouting....and idiots playing guitars about credit reports ad nauseum. 

The sad reality is that Skip Bayless, previously knowledgable and talented, apparently has seen that making an blithering fool of yourself ala steven i smith gets you places on ESPN and has taken on a similar personality. 

I try to listen....But I've made a concious decision that the first time I hear any one of the above, I simply shut the TV off or change the channel.  There's no entertainment value in any of them.  They know less about the subjects they're talking about than I do.

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The thing about Hill is that I have to assume she's trying to target a different kind of audience then we're used to. Just cause I'm not that audience the way I usually am doesn't mean I have to throw a hissy fit if she says something I don't like. As much as I don't like her I don't want the only 20-something black female writer I can think of to get canned. Put her on SportsReporters for all I care. There are tons of ESPN people that annoy the heck out of me, but obviously somebody likes em. If I start my own sportsnetwork I'll hire who I want for what i think they're worth.

I love Bob Ryan and Bill Simmons and they aren't always kosher. Not everyone can be perfect. Walter Cronkite wasn't perfect. Even Howard Cossell was a prima donna. It's why people liked him. I'm jealous of Jemele Hill really. But jealousy is an evil emotion and it's my problem, not hers. I just don't read her stuff much

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Apparently ESPN is so emboldened to EEOC or they have a considerable audience of absolute fools that I'm not aware of. 

I think you mean beholden, not emboldened. And I think this comment is, um, inappropriate, to use the nice word.