Author Topic: Oh boy - Butler to 76ers?  (Read 10107 times)

Re: Oh boy - Butler to 76ers?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 02:15:27 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I hate to say it but that is an excellent trade for the Sixers. Covington and Saric are good but adding Butler takes them to the next level. Not a lot to give up IMO.

I still believe we have the better roster, however we really need to get it together soon... the division (and conference) have gotten a lot tougher.

On paper they look scary, but I dont know how Butler would fit here.

Simmons and Embiid are already ball dominant players, adding another one might kill their ball movement. And Butler also has a habit of calling out teammates when things don't go his way, and if this happens in Philly, it could be trouble.

I know Butler is a good to great player.  But I agree that he is ball dominant.  If Simmons could develop a 3 point shot, this move would have a lot more impact.  Butler is a decent 3 point shooter, so maybe he provides the spacing?  I am not happy about this trade ( I don't want Philly getting any better), but Butler hasn't been a very good team mate for a while now.  I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign long term with the 76ers.
People really overuse this "ball dominant" argument.  Hard to get more ball dominant and a redundant fit than Lebron and Wade but they won 2 titles.  Having multiple shot creators is a very good thing.  Simmons, Redick, Butler, Embiid should be a really nice fit.  The question is does Fultz step up to be the 5th guy or do they need to look elsewhere. 

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Celtics could gave Minny a better offer than Philly
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So do they send Patton to Cleveland for Korver?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I was wondering about Patton's inclusion.  Looks like Minny didn't pick up his option so he's probably just filler.  Korver would be a nice addition for them.

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I really like Saric for Minnesota. He would be a good upgrade for them at PF. It would be fantastic to see Minnesota move away from those two big man lineups with Towns next to Dieng or Taj Gibson. Putting Saric in there instead would help open up that offense some more. Give Towns more room to work. Keep Towns around the ball and involved in the offense more. Gives Minny another ball-handler & passer on the perimeter. A much more dynamic attack.

I am less interested in Covington. I would prefer to see Wiggins shift back to SF which is the position that I think he belongs in. So I would prefer to see Covington moved on for a true SG to play alongside Wiggins. Again, someone with more ball-handling and passing (at SG) to help open up the offense some more ... because we know Wiggins isn't giving you that.

I wouldn't be against trading Wiggins and keeping Covington instead. Just long term, I do not like the two of them together. Too limited on the wing offensively. Not enough ball-handling, passing, creative play.

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I hate to say it but that is an excellent trade for the Sixers. Covington and Saric are good but adding Butler takes them to the next level. Not a lot to give up IMO.

I still believe we have the better roster, however we really need to get it together soon... the division (and conference) have gotten a lot tougher.

On paper they look scary, but I dont know how Butler would fit here.

Simmons and Embiid are already ball dominant players, adding another one might kill their ball movement. And Butler also has a habit of calling out teammates when things don't go his way, and if this happens in Philly, it could be trouble.

I know Butler is a good to great player.  But I agree that he is ball dominant.  If Simmons could develop a 3 point shot, this move would have a lot more impact.  Butler is a decent 3 point shooter, so maybe he provides the spacing?  I am not happy about this trade ( I don't want Philly getting any better), but Butler hasn't been a very good team mate for a while now.  I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign long term with the 76ers.
People really overuse this "ball dominant" argument.  Hard to get more ball dominant and a redundant fit than Lebron and Wade but they won 2 titles.  Having multiple shot creators is a very good thing.  Simmons, Redick, Butler, Embiid should be a really nice fit.  The question is does Fultz step up to be the 5th guy or do they need to look elsewhere.

Neither Simmons, Embiid, or Butler are anywhere, I repeat anywhere near Lebron level circa 2012.  I just don't think that is a good comparison.   Butler and Simmons both play their best when they control the ball.  Simmons can't shoot.  Philly traded two guys that could shoot.  Maybe it will work out for Philly but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think this is a move Philly had to make because it felt like they stalled a bit with the whiff ( so far) on Fultz. But, I question the fit and the personality.

Butler has now work out his welcome with 2 franchises in almost 3 years. Wonder how he takes to developing Embiid, Simmons and Fultz.

The floor spacing will be an issue for Philly until they can get some shooters.

Also, Butler is at his best when he basically runs the offense. So does Simmons. And Embiid is Val dominant too. Can they play off the ball???

That being said, Butler is an elite 2 way player that should make matchups tough. Atlantic division ugh have the 3 best teams in east by end of the year.

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The downsides for Philly are that their floor spacing problems get even worse, and there's definitely the possibility of some major personality conflicts.

The upside is basically everything else.

Now that the Wolves have moved Butler I hope we try to find a way to pry Taj Gibson away from them. Would be a really nice bench piece for us.

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Well, that's is interesting.  Now they have a guy that can play defense on Tatum, KLeonard, Giannis.

We have big problems with our offense. And some issues with our defense.  And so, the standings are reflecting exactly what we are.  Fifth best in the EC.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:26:46 PM by coco »

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Well, that's is interesting.  No they have a guy that can play defense on Tatum, KLeonard, Giannis.

We have big problems with our offense. And some issues with our defense.  And so, the standings are reflecting exactly what we are.  Fifth best in the EC.
Yeah pretty much. I think they have been bad defensively this road trip but overall their defense hasn’t been pretty good. I’ve mentally prepared myself for the see saw we are going to see offensively over the next couple of months. This team is too talented not to figure it out. Just have to stay patient. If they are still clueless on offense by mid January, I’d start to be pretty concerned. I honestly don’t care where they finish as long as they are in sync and healthy by the time March comes around.

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The downsides for Philly are that their floor spacing problems get even worse, and there's definitely the possibility of some major personality conflicts.

The upside is basically everything else.

Now that the Wolves have moved Butler I hope we try to find a way to pry Taj Gibson away from them. Would be a really nice bench piece for us.

Minnesota still wants to win. Although I feel they could have got a better return for Butler, I don't think they are starting a fire sale while Thibbs is still there.

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Not worried.

BOS will be FINE.

Don't cancel your tickets to the Finals this year - or the next few years.

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Great deal for the Sixers.  I thought it would have taken more to get Butler.  Sucks for our C's.

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I really like Saric for Minnesota. He would be a good upgrade for them at PF. It would be fantastic to see Minnesota move away from those two big man lineups with Towns next to Dieng or Taj Gibson. Putting Saric in there instead would help open up that offense some more. Give Towns more room to work. Keep Towns around the ball and involved in the offense more. Gives Minny another ball-handler & passer on the perimeter. A much more dynamic attack.

I am less interested in Covington. I would prefer to see Wiggins shift back to SF which is the position that I think he belongs in. So I would prefer to see Covington moved on for a true SG to play alongside Wiggins. Again, someone with more ball-handling and passing (at SG) to help open up the offense some more ... because we know Wiggins isn't giving you that.

I wouldn't be against trading Wiggins and keeping Covington instead. Just long term, I do not like the two of them together. Too limited on the wing offensively. Not enough ball-handling, passing, creative play.
Saric/Towns is going to be god awful on defense.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Cov start at the 4 and Saric come off the bench.

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2018, 03:21:33 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Korver would look real good there, wouldn't he?