Author Topic: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?  (Read 10479 times)

Re: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:25 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
While I understand this is a tragedy.  He was taken from this world way too soon along with his daughter and all of the other victims.  I do not feel that his number should be retired league wide.  I do like ideas of players wearing his numbers to honor him.  I like the idea that in the all star game one sides wears one number and the other wears one.   I even like the idea of the league doing something on all jersey's to honor him like some teams do when a tragic loss has occurred for the rest of the season or even all of next year.  I respect Kobe.  I pray for all of the families that have been destroyed by this senseless accident but I don't think his number should be retired league wide.  RIP Kobe. 

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I really hate to sound like a jerk here, given all the circumstances over the past week.

But is anyone else becoming sick of all these suggestions that are popping up over social media and talk shows? Change the logo permanently to Kobe, retire #8 and #24 league-wide, have players who currently wear those numbers to pick other ones out of "good will" (aka peer pressure), etc. etc.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2020, 09:12:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I really hate to sound like a jerk here, given all the circumstances over the past week.

But is anyone else becoming sick of all these suggestions that are popping up over social media and talk shows? Change the logo permanently to Kobe, retire #8 and #24 league-wide, have players who currently wear those numbers to pick other ones out of "good will" (aka peer pressure), etc. etc.

My guess is its just folks dealing with the grief...

Those of us that may think it's extreme "may" not empathize fully with LA's loss...

I think us as Americans are - in some ways - losing the ability to empathize.

Yes - there were other victims as well...this makes the whole thing tragic.

But Kobe practically GREW up a Laker...was traded for when he was what? 17?

He even had a brush in Green.

I really wonder if he was looking at our Banners back then...was ML Carr educating him on Celtics Lore.....

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2020, 10:18:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Ummm ...i guess this means your not advocating for a " Kobe " national holiday ..eh ?

:)

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The most offensive idea to me was changing the logo

That was itself a really odd idea

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Some of the suggestions are foolish, and the reality is, in the next couple decades the NBA will have to deal with the death of numerous top players. Just because Kobe died young, you can't accord him an extra special place instead of say, Kareem.

Additionally, and no one wants to talk about it, but there's an elephant in the room when Kobe Bryant is discussed. Maybe making him the league logo or retiring his # or naming awards after him isn't the greatest of ideas.

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2020, 07:57:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Some of the suggestions are foolish, and the reality is, in the next couple decades the NBA will have to deal with the death of numerous top players. Just because Kobe died young, you can't accord him an extra special place instead of say, Kareem.

Additionally, and no one wants to talk about it, but there's an elephant in the room when Kobe Bryant is discussed. Maybe making him the league logo or retiring his # or naming awards after him isn't the greatest of ideas.

I understand what you are saying here but in Today's Climate how would Kareem get preference in this?

I would be FOREVER for changing The Logo to The Skyhook, but I'd guess there would be discussions as to why NOT to do such a thing in Kareem's case, as well.

Kareem was NOT loved or liked much in his early NBA days....because of his faith. Magic was oftentimes the face of the franchise in LA. Kareem was the strong silent type.

Why not Russell? Well....he's "Too Old"........even in today's discussion in reference to All-Time greats he doesn't often get mentioned....it is seemingly LeBron or Michael that gets mentioned.....

In any event I just think folks were acting out in grief about Kobe's passing. Nothing wrong with that.

When others grieve like this it is often best to stay silent until it subsides.

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I understand what you are saying here but in Today's Climate how would Kareem get preference in this?

I would be FOREVER for changing The Logo to The Skyhook, but I'd guess there would be discussions as to why NOT to do such a thing in Kareem's case, as well.

Kareem was NOT loved or liked much in his early NBA days....because of his faith. Magic was oftentimes the face of the franchise in LA. Kareem was the strong silent type.

Why not Russell? Well....he's "Too Old"........even in today's discussion in reference to All-Time greats he doesn't often get mentioned....it is seemingly LeBron or Michael that gets mentioned.....

In any event I just think folks were acting out in grief about Kobe's passing. Nothing wrong with that.

id rather call them back to reality than stay silent lol. I understand it is a sensitive topic but if we let people overreact every time something tragic happens, we will end up with bad decisions being made by people because no one ever called them out to not hurt their feelings

Imagine if silver went ahead and made Kobe the logo. And no one would call him out cuz “everyone is in grief.” The general laker fan public was applying pressure to silver via viral petitions
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:11:51 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2020, 09:18:50 PM »

Offline CELTICSNUM1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Definitely not! Kobe was one of the greatest players that ever lived and should be honored league wide but not with retiring his jersey. He was a Laker and his jersey will be retired by them and should be retired by them only. If all teams want to wear a patch on their sleeves or something similar for the rest of the season, then that would be awesome. But retiring of a jersey should be for the players that gave their heart and soul to their own team.

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

id rather call them back to reality than stay silent lol. I understand it is a sensitive topic but if we let people overreact every time something tragic happens, we will end up with bad decisions being made by people because no one ever called them out to not hurt their feelings

Imagine if silver went ahead and made Kobe the logo. And no one would call him out cuz “everyone is in grief.” The general laker fan public was applying pressure to silver via viral petitions

Do you think such a suggestion is funny?

Of course not everyone is going to agree with it. But why such comments?

Whose reality are we talking about Yours?

I've seen some folks' version of "reality" - in sports and otherwise, and - to be honest - it is horrible.

Most Laker fans are reasonable people. Most Celtics Fans are reasonable people. You have over-reactors on BOTH sides.

In THIS case, though - there is extreme grief because of WHO it was, the other victims and the circumstances behind it. That grief manifests itself in various ways.

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2020, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah exactly.

So let’s wait for it to subside before we change logos and retire numbers.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no

even #23 is not league wide retired

In basketball its not easy to pintpoint who was the greatest of the greatest of all time.  Argument could be made for Jordan

In hockey #99 is not league wide retired either.  But no player has dared to use that number

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2020, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

I wasn't singling Kareem out,  I was just using him as an example because he's, well, he's old. But I could've said Bill, or Jordan or any # of players. Wasn't meaning it to elevate KAJ, just using him as an example of an all time great who is closer to the end than not.

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Teams can do whatever they want but he may ya e raped a woman  so I really Hope Celts don’t follow suit. So strange in this era in cases like this people acting like he’s definitely innocent. People that have studied the case feel otherwise. Just saying. Cannot make him the logo of the league. You can’t make a possible rapist the logo. Please don’t do this.