Author Topic: Why is Iguodala getting the Kawhi treatment  (Read 3603 times)

Re: Why is Iguodala getting the Kawhi treatment
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 01:51:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I find the whole thing pretty ridiculous. First and foremost, he’s wildly overrated. Memphis helps Golden State by basically paying his salary for a future first, allowing them to sign Russell. Obvious that Iguodala won’t play for them, they refuse to buy him out for 90% of his contract, so they let him stay home.

I’m sure Riley spoke directly to him/his reps to get this done. And now he’s posting videos about how he should be a case study on black athletes determining their path or something like that. It’s amazing how entitled NBA players are compared to other sports. The guy is making $17.2M this year and he doesn’t feel the need to go to work because he got traded. Take a (much) lesser salary to secure a NTC if that’s what you desire. Instead you take the maximum offered and don’t feel the CBA applies to you.

I don't think Andre (or other Black Athletes) are entitled at all...

It is MORESO someone like him placing himself into a position to reap a LEGAL benefit that is his RIGHT......

Other races / ethnicities - have did this for AGES.......

I look forward to beating AI (and MIA) if we meet in the playoffs but as far as him reaping these benefits I applaud him.

Do you think this was Memphis’ grand plan? Let’s trade for a future first and pay Iguodala’s hefty salary until they can trade him (and that’s an if, of course depending on where he would like to go)? Whether or not they knew before the trade about his intentions is irrelevant, paying a large portion of $17.2M for a future pick with no guarantee you can move that contract for worthwhile assets.

Do they really need a player who under no circumstances wants to play for them around their young core? Even if they forced him to show up, it was of no benefit to have that negative energy around.

Memphis may have agreed to let him sit at home and get paid, but I fail to see how that’s his right to do so. If it is, any player should who gets traded unwillingly or is unhappy with the direction of the team should step away. Drummond should tell Cleveland he wants to sit at home the rest of the year or buy him out.

If you don’t think NBA players (regardless of race) are entitled (more so than other sports), I don’t know what to tell you. Where else do you see guys refusing to play, buyouts, public trade demands, etc.? Does anyone think if Mookie Betts was traded to... I don’t know, the Tigers... that there’s any chance he wouldn’t show up or demand a buyout?

Like I said before on this site, I’m all for player empowerment. But, can owners renege if a player gets injured or just grossly underperforms? Seems like a a one-way street where teams get stuck in these guaranteed contracts regardless of production, but players can dictate where and when they play (oftentimes handcuffing a team in the process) the entire duration of their contract after agreeing to it?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I find the whole thing pretty ridiculous. First and foremost, he’s wildly overrated. Memphis helps Golden State by basically paying his salary for a future first, allowing them to sign Russell. Obvious that Iguodala won’t play for them, they refuse to buy him out for 90% of his contract, so they let him stay home.

I’m sure Riley spoke directly to him/his reps to get this done. And now he’s posting videos about how he should be a case study on black athletes determining their path or something like that. It’s amazing how entitled NBA players are compared to other sports. The guy is making $17.2M this year and he doesn’t feel the need to go to work because he got traded. Take a (much) lesser salary to secure a NTC if that’s what you desire. Instead you take the maximum offered and don’t feel the CBA applies to you.

It is MORESO someone like him placing himself into a position to reap a LEGAL benefit that is his RIGHT......

I look forward to beating AI (and MIA) if we meet in the playoffs but as far as him reaping these benefits I applaud him.

Do you think this was Memphis’ grand plan? Let’s trade for a future first and pay Iguodala’s hefty salary until they can trade him (and that’s an if, of course depending on where he would like to go)? Whether or not they knew before the trade about his intentions is irrelevant, paying a large portion of $17.2M for a future pick with no guarantee you can move that contract for worthwhile assets.

Do they really need a player who under no circumstances wants to play for them around their young core? Even if they forced him to show up, it was of no benefit to have that negative energy around.

Memphis may have agreed to let him sit at home and get paid, but I fail to see how that’s his right to do so. If it is, any player should who gets traded unwillingly or is unhappy with the direction of the team should step away. Drummond should tell Cleveland he wants to sit at home the rest of the year or buy him out.

If you don’t think NBA players (regardless of race) are entitled (more so than other sports), I don’t know what to tell you. Where else do you see guys refusing to play, buyouts, public trade demands, etc.? Does anyone think if Mookie Betts was traded to... I don’t know, the Tigers... that there’s any chance he wouldn’t show up or demand a buyout?

Like I said before on this site, I’m all for player empowerment. But, can owners renege if a player gets injured or just grossly underperforms? Seems like a a one-way street where teams get stuck in these guaranteed contracts regardless of production, but players can dictate where and when they play (oftentimes handcuffing a team in the process) the entire duration of their contract after agreeing to it?

Players can't just 'not show up'.  There are protections in the CBA for that.  There are various fines for failure to attend different team functions or missing practices and a contract can actually be voided in certain circumstances.    Also, many (not all) player contracts are insured so if the player gets injured and misses a large portion of the season, the teams aren't usually getting screwed out of the entire amount of their salary.     Given that MEM and Iggy had an agreement, none of these things mattered.

"Do you think this was Memphis’ grand plan?"  -- Yes.   This was, pretty much exactly what they expected to accomplish with Iguodala.   The got an asset by aggreeing to take on his contract and now they got more assets by trading him to the Heat.  For a rebuilding team, this was win-win for them.

You can't get mad at Iggy without also getting mad at MEM because this is exactly what they wanted of him.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 02:53:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
What I'm wondering is, how does Iguodala suddenly make the Heat "the favorites" for the 2 seed. I could understand if they got back Gallinari too, but Iggy is a glorified role player who hasn't played so far this season and is 36 y/o. But he's the guy that pushes the Heat from the 4 seed to being favorites for the 2 seed according to the media??
I saw a bunch of people flying the "Miami is #2 in the East" flags when it was understood the Iggy trade involved OKC sending Gallinari as well. Are people still waving that flag now that the deadline is over and Miami didn't get Gallo but did get Crowder?

Sorry for asking but I have stayed away from the media evaluations of the trade deadline? I think Miami and Philly might have gotten marginally better but not enough for them to be better than a healthy Toronto or Boston team.

Miami improved by adding Crowder and Iggy but if they had added Gallo as a big that could shoot from outside it would've been a much better team. I'm still not sure they are contenders as they are now. They have some really young players and the Health of Iggy and Butler will probably dictate how far they can go.The Heat still have a lot of players that can only play one end of the court. Iggy and Crowder are terrible 3 point shooters.

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Galinari wouldn't have made an enormous impact in Miami. He's a fine player, but he's not a star, doesn't move the needle.  Miami has a bunch of good players, what they really need to do is consolidate a few for a great player, of which they only have one (and one who's getting there). What he does well is shoot 3s, but Miami already has a # of guys who can do that. IMO, he represented only modest improvement for them, and I'm not sure Iggy represents even that.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
"Do you think this was Memphis’ grand plan?"  -- Yes.   This was, pretty much exactly what they expected to accomplish with Iguodala.   The got an asset by aggreeing to take on his contract and now they got more assets by trading him to the Heat.  For a rebuilding team, this was win-win for them.

You can't get mad at Iggy without also getting mad at MEM because this is exactly what they wanted of him.

I honestly wonder if Memphis would've even wanted Iggy to play if he had been willing. Maybe they're slightly more competitive but their young guys lose some on-court reps and Iggy probably doesn't do anything to improve his trade value, and could crater it if he gets hurt or is obviously cooked.

Heck I doubt Iggy ever gets another $15 million year if teams had seen actual play from him this season. Just a really strange situation with a lot of weird incentives.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 03:02:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Players can't just 'not show up'.  There are protections in the CBA for that.  There are various fines for failure to attend different team functions or missing practices and a contract can actually be voided in certain circumstances.    Also, many (not all) player contracts are insured so if the player gets injured and misses a large portion of the season, the teams aren't usually getting screwed out of the entire amount of their salary.     Given that MEM and Iggy had an agreement, none of these things mattered.

Sounds like both parties got exactly what they wanted. I mean, sure Iggy was 100% super unprofessional, but at least he voiced his objections and framed exactly what his motives were.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 03:02:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Galinari wouldn't have made an enormous impact in Miami. He's a fine player, but he's not a star, doesn't move the needle.  Miami has a bunch of good players, what they really need to do is consolidate a few for a great player, of which they only have one (and one who's getting there). What he does well is shoot 3s, but Miami already has a # of guys who can do that. IMO, he represented only modest improvement for them, and I'm not sure Iggy represents even that.

Gallo is a very good player who has been limited by health. He's 6'10" and really big can rebound, shoot and pass. I think he would've added more than Iggy but I still think Miami is not as good as The Bucks, The Raps and the Celtics even if they got both.

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I honestly wonder if Memphis would've even wanted Iggy to play if he had been willing. Maybe they're slightly more competitive but their young guys lose some on-court reps and Iggy probably doesn't do anything to improve his trade value, and could crater it if he gets hurt or is obviously cooked.

Heck I doubt Iggy ever gets another $15 million year if teams had seen actual play from him this season. Just a really strange situation with a lot of weird incentives.

I find it strange that Riley was convinced Iggy was worth an extra $30 million. At least he gave up Waiters, but also lost James Johnson. Crowder and Iggy gives them a nice formidable back up wings/forwards to allow Butler a breather, but was it really worth it? Cap space flexibility for 2021 seems also the key incentive here.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I find it strange that Riley was convinced Iggy was worth an extra $30 million. At least he gave up Waiters, but also lost James Johnson. Crowder and Iggy gives them a nice formidable back up wings/forwards to allow Butler a breather, but was it really worth it? Cap space flexibility for 2021 seems also the key incentive here.

Remember the 2nd year is non-guaranteed - a team option - so it's really just 1 year/$15 million with the Heat having the option to pay the same in 21-22 if free agency doesn't work out (or if they need his salary to make a trade work).

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is not even remotely in Kawhi's league in terms of talent

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2020, 05:25:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Look, I get the angst with AI...I really do.

But - as others here have perhaps alluded to - it seems as if this was a mutually agreed upon thing.

AI has "NEVER" been a problem child ANYWHERE he was at...he had a minor flap in GSW with Coach Kerr but nothing to the point of him being a problem player...

Dude has even written a book IIRC...

If he had a track record of issues then this move could be looked at with more scrutiny but he's been a model player...

Also - with what NBA players have been subjected to over the years (Sterling in LAC)...being called names..racist and otherwise...being grabbed by fans...stuff thrown at them.....

NFL players are protected by Body Armor. Protected by helmets.

NBA players? They often slam into camera operators AND fans every game...

To ME - no NBA players are NOT entitled. If anything they are entitled to MORE respect.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 08:46:41 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Agree. He was a salary dump and they got assets back by taking his contract. He then had an agreement with management that he would be moved. It should be honored even if Memphis suddenly find themselves fighting for a playoff spot unexpectedly.