Author Topic: Rockets to file protest to NBA. UPDATE: League denies request  (Read 4552 times)

Rockets to file protest to NBA. UPDATE: League denies request
« on: December 05, 2019, 03:08:02 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Happens at 0:42
https://youtu.be/3K_pcC1wOmA

Rockets lost by 2

The Houston Rockets will likely file an official protest in regards to the refs failing to count a James Harden dunk during their 135-133 loss to the San Antonio Spurs, league sources told Tim MacMahon of ESPN.

The Rockets were optimistic that the NBA would take action without a protest, though the team may now file a protest within the allotted 48-hour window following a game to force a ruling.

Sources also told ESPN that the league is conducting an investigation, though the resolution could take longer than 48 hours.

The play in question took place with 7 minutes and 50 seconds left in the game. The Rockets would have lead 103-89 had Harden's dunk counted.

League sources added that the Rockets will not be awarded a win

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28227763/rockets-likely-file-protest-missed-call-james-harden-dunk
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:13:41 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Rockets to file protest to NBA after refs don’t count a made basket.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 05:39:37 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Happens at 0:42
https://youtu.be/3K_pcC1wOmA

Rockets lost by 2

The Houston Rockets will likely file an official protest in regards to the refs failing to count a James Harden dunk during their 135-133 loss to the San Antonio Spurs, league sources told Tim MacMahon of ESPN.

The Rockets were optimistic that the NBA would take action without a protest, though the team may now file a protest within the allotted 48-hour window following a game to force a ruling.

Sources also told ESPN that the league is conducting an investigation, though the resolution could take longer than 48 hours.

The play in question took place with 7 minutes and 50 seconds left in the game. The Rockets would have lead 103-89 had Harden's dunk counted.

League sources added that the Rockets will not be awarded a win

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28227763/rockets-likely-file-protest-missed-call-james-harden-dunk

Not only did they lose by 2, but that was in double overtime. The entire situation is a huge embarrassment for the league no matter how they choose to solve it

Honestly, the fairest this is probably to replay the last 7:50 of the game, but getting the teams together for that seems like it would be a mess (unless you did it right after another game between the two, but that would have its own issues)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 06:51:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
impeach adam silver

its the only way to be sure

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
One almost wonders if they bet on that game.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I know this is chump change to an NBA team, but a formal protest comes with a $10,000 fee. I believe Woj mentioned this last night on ESPN. Would the Rockets pay the fee, knowing it’s a virtual lock the NBA won’t change the ruling?

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I guess it's worth establishing that the Rockets wuz robbed, but beyond that what relief can they get?

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I guess it's worth establishing that the Rockets wuz robbed, but beyond that what relief can they get?
Only thing worth establishing is that karma is a female dog

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
One almost wonders if they bet on that game.
did not think of that right off the bat
but now that you mention it

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Officials messed it all up by not reviewing the play right after...heck or even if they played it out, it could have easily been reviewed right after a time out or something and add 2 points in the score just like what these clowns do after a made three that is suspect...they do it all the time  but for some reason chose to ignore this instance.

I think nothing would come out of this as it is but its ineresting what they league would do.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Officials messed it all up by not reviewing the play right after...heck or even if they played it out, it could have easily been reviewed right after a time out or something and add 2 points in the score just like what these clowns do after a made three that is suspect...they do it all the time  but for some reason chose to ignore this instance.

I think nothing would come out of this as it is but its ineresting what they league would do.

Huh, that is a really good point. They always add or subtract a point on later-reviewed 3-pointers; why in the world couldn't they have done that with this shot? I suppose the NBA didn't think they needed a similar review process for made/missed baskets, but these refs have obviously proven otherwise.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Huh, that is a really good point. They always add or subtract a point on later-reviewed 3-pointers; why in the world couldn't they have done that with this shot? I suppose the NBA didn't think they needed a similar review process for made/missed baskets, but these refs have obviously proven otherwise.
this in combination with that blown call on the Lebron walk that's making the rounds of the internet is really giving NBA officiating a deserved black eye.  over the past 10-15 years or so, the officiating, which was never really great, has slid downhill noticeably IMO.  I've been converted to a believer in fining officials for egregiously bad calls that they made or missed.  these 2 situations would fit that scenario

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Because it has to be rule-based and if they review this goaltend call automatically they would have to review all of them. Which wouldn't be a terrible idea but isn't the current setup.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 12:48:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The funny thing about the LeBron travel is that there were three refs on the floor and it's tremendously obvious from the video that not one of them had eyes on the ball.

The ref on the near side in the video should have that responsibility and you can see him looking under the basket, which is the other ref's responsibility because he is camped under the basket. Just do your job and keep an eye on the ballhandler if it's your assignment on that side of the court.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 01:01:05 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Because it has to be rule-based and if they review this goaltend call automatically they would have to review all of them. Which wouldn't be a terrible idea but isn't the current setup.

Goaltending? This is simply a matter of whether or not the ball went through the hoop. The refs were made quite aware of the matter immediately after it happened. On a made 3/non-3, the refs don't need an official review, they just wait for a time-out and see if the players toe was behind the line. I agree that I could see something similar with goaltending - it is after all just a matter of adding two points during a time-out, but this seems a lot more obvious to me. The ball went in the basket.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
The funny thing about the LeBron travel is that there were three refs on the floor and it's tremendously obvious from the video that not one of them had eyes on the ball.

The ref on the near side in the video should have that responsibility and you can see him looking under the basket, which is the other ref's responsibility because he is camped under the basket. Just do your job and keep an eye on the ballhandler if it's your assignment on that side of the court.

The first clip I saw (and what many people may have seen, front page of Reddit and floating around Twitter and various websites) is weirdly cropped (probably to make the travel look worse).

This is the poorly cropped version.

This is the unaltered version.

There was a collision under the hoop, distracting everybody.  The ref should still be watching the ball, but to me it makes the travel and missed call more understandable.

Although the missed Harden call is also understandable to me.  When I saw that clip in real time, already knowing the uproar, I still wasn't sure what had happened, even re-watching it I wasn't sure.  Had to slow it down to see what happened.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class