Author Topic: Any fans of 'Get a Life'?  (Read 2725 times)

Any fans of 'Get a Life'?
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I found through a list of '100 best sitcoms', downloaded it, and got hooked.

Re: Any fans of 'Get a Life'?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:26:33 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Thanks for sharing.
Would you mind tell me where you DL it?
Thanks

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Thanks for sharing.
Would you mind tell me where you DL it?
Thanks

torrent

The uploader must have used old VHS tapes. The image is OK but not great. On the bright side, the file size is quite small for a series of this size.

btw, I just checked Amazon too, and saw it's available. Image quality is an issue there too though, you can see it in the comments.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
The 'Handsome Boy Modeling School' storyline is EPIC.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
The 'Handsome Boy Modeling School' storyline is EPIC.

I didn't recognize the show from the name, but once you said Handsome Boy Modeling School, I knew it from the rap albums.  A couple of classics from the late 90's to mid 2000's era from Dan the Automater and Prince Paul.

Obviously they named themselves after that story arc, but also sample it heavily for a couple of songs off the first album ("Look At This Face" and "Modeling Sucks").

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
GREAT album.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
There isn't much info on the show online.

The best article I've found  so far is from Rotten Tomatoes by Nathan Rabin, written about a year ago.

I copy-paste a part I thought was interesting:

In other words, Chris did things throughout Get a Life that no sitcom character is ever supposed to do. Sometimes he did two distinct things sitcom characters were never supposed to do in rapid succession, like when he goes from being inundated with dangerous levels of toxic waste and develops freakish mutations like a second mouth in “Chris’ Brain Starts Working” to experiencing a Flowers for Algernon-style boost in intelligence and deciding to capitalize on his newfound brilliance by traveling the world defeating children in spelling bees.

Chris could do seemingly anything — anything, that is, but be a believable character in an objectively plausible reality. The show would never be sadistic enough to ask audiences to imagine that its protagonist was somebody like them, somebody they might be able to grab a beer with or relate to an emotional level.

You can read the whole article here.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline schenkel

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
This show and the also even shorter-lived Dana Carvey Show were ahead of their time and had zero chance of success commercially in that era. Legal wrangling kept the former off the DVD market until the last few years (yes, I gave it to myself for Christmas a few years ago), and Carvey's show lasted only 5 or so episodes, I believe. Clips of Carvey's show are on You Tube. I was hooked immediately, but I knew it would not last. (You can't open your show mocking your sponsors and network and have the President interrupt an Oval Office speech to rip open his shirt and breast-feed a puppy and make long term plans. At least, not in that era. Also, off topic, please no Melo.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It was great!

I saw Cabin Boy on opening night with a first date.

Relationship didn't last, lol, but the movie makes me laugh.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 12:42:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Brilliant show from waaaaay back in the early Fox days. Gotta have a high tolerance for weirdness to enjoy it though.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This show and the also even shorter-lived Dana Carvey Show were ahead of their time and had zero chance of success commercially in that era. Legal wrangling kept the former off the DVD market until the last few years (yes, I gave it to myself for Christmas a few years ago), and Carvey's show lasted only 5 or so episodes, I believe. Clips of Carvey's show are on You Tube. I was hooked immediately, but I knew it would not last. (You can't open your show mocking your sponsors and network and have the President interrupt an Oval Office speech to rip open his shirt and breast-feed a puppy and make long term plans. At least, not in that era. Also, off topic, please no Melo.

What's amazing is you look back on the Carvery Show now, and it's amazing who was on it:

Dana Carvey, Steve Carrell, Stephen Colbert, Louis CK, Greg Daniels (writer on SNL, Seinfeld, the Simpsons, co-created King of the Hill, Parks and Rec, developer of the US version of the Office, etc.) all on the same writing staff.  Just think of all the combined comedy that those guys are responsible for.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
About 10 years ago I scored a DVD of the first season and still have it somewhere. That show made me laugh HARD