Author Topic: Clippers hire Kawhi's friend to coaching staff  (Read 1125 times)

Clippers hire Kawhi's friend to coaching staff
« on: August 09, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Jeremy Castleberry has been hired as an assistant coach with the Clippers.  The Raptors and Spurs also both hired him as a result of his close friendship with Kawhi.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Clippers hire Kawhi's friend to coaching staff
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Guy went to high school with Kawhi, walked on at SDSU where Kawhi went (have to wonder if that was a favor to Kawhi as well).  Then got jobs with San Antonio, Toronto, and now LAC.  Hmmm.

Any articles I quickly google on the guy say he's legit, Spurs wanted to keep him after Kawhi left, SDSU offered him an assistant coaching job last year, etc.  But it definitely helps to have friends open the door for you.

Of course those may just be puff pieces too:
“When we hired him, I did it like it would with anyone else,” Raptors head coach Nick Nurse says. “I talked to people who knew him, talked to a lot of coaches who he worked for, met him several times, had several long phone calls with him, and he graded out 100 percent on it all. Everybody was positive on him.

“The first thing they say is: ‘It’s not that coattail thing. He works. He’s paying his dues, he loves the game, he’ll work around the clock.’ And he does. He hustles, he works, he’s very smart, he’s very enjoyable to be around. It hasn’t been an extra hire, it’s been a great hire.”

The guy may work hard and be legit, but there's no why I believe the Raptors hired him like anybody else.

Every time he leaves it's a promotion, but lines up with Kawhi's movement.

G-League - Spurs
Video Coordinator - Spurs
Player Development coach - Raptors
Assistant coach - Clippers

Next stop for Kawhi means head coaching job for Castleberry? 

How come my friends are all bums?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Clippers hire Kawhi's friend to coaching staff
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:47:47 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Kawhi having a close friend that he keeps getting jobs for, but that friend actually being a crazy hard worker that makes the team better is extremely on brand.