Author Topic: Still can't believe the Celts lost to the Bucks  (Read 6280 times)

Re: Still can't believe the Celts lost to the Bucks
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2019, 10:27:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Talent alone rarely wins championships. Especially egocentric talent. There's no mystery why the Bucks eliminated us so easily. They play as a team, both offensively and defensively. The 18 - 19 Celtics didn't remotely resemble a team... just a collection of individuals. I strongly believe that the Celts will be a markedly better team next year without Irving, regardless of whether they get AD. I am looking forward to next season, as I predict there's only a 10% chance Irving signs with the Celtics. Also, I believe Danny will be crazy to give up both Brown and Tatum for AD.

Talent almost always wins in the NBA.

Almost all title winners have a top-5 player / MVP candidate and most also have another all-star level player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Talent alone rarely wins championships. Especially egocentric talent. There's no mystery why the Bucks eliminated us so easily. They play as a team, both offensively and defensively. The 18 - 19 Celtics didn't remotely resemble a team... just a collection of individuals. I strongly believe that the Celts will be a markedly better team next year without Irving, regardless of whether they get AD. I am looking forward to next season, as I predict there's only a 10% chance Irving signs with the Celtics. Also, I believe Danny will be crazy to give up both Brown and Tatum for AD.

Almost all title winners have a top-5 player / MVP candidate and most also have another all-star level player.

OKC 5-6 years ago had the most talent in one umbrella... didnt win

Im not a fan of the Celts bettet get AD and look the other way when it comes to Irving poisonous ways... because thats the only way you can win in this league

Steph Curry was not born a shooter but rather built to be a great one. And shooting is just one aspect of it all

This was the shortcoming of Irving...because he thinks he is "great" and didnt put in the extra work to tackle a very different challenge of not playing with/relying on a Lebron

Celts if it clicked, and built via hard work wouldnt have gotten destroyed by the Bucks

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2019, 11:40:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Im not a fan of the Celts bettet get AD and look the other way when it comes to Irving poisonous ways... because thats the only way you can win in this league

Steph Curry was not born a shooter but rather built to be a great one. And shooting is just one aspect of it all

This was the shortcoming of Irving...because he thinks he is "great" and didnt put in the extra work to tackle a very different challenge of not playing with/relying on a Lebron

Celts if it clicked, and built via hard work wouldnt have gotten destroyed by the Bucks
No, the Thunder didn't. LeBron was better than Durant, Wade was better than Westbrook and Bosh was better than Harden.

That is just nonsense about Kyrie. I'm not sure what you're even saying. That he didn't improve?? Because that is just not true at all. His rebounding, passing and defence all took considerable strides, and he put up his second most efficient shooting season. Your insistence to blame Irving for other players' & coaches not improving or adapting to their scenario is ridiculous
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2019, 12:03:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

No, the Thunder didn't. LeBron was better than Durant, Wade was better than Westbrook and Bosh was better than Harden.

That is just nonsense about Kyrie. I'm not sure what you're even saying. That he didn't improve?? Because that is just not true at all. His rebounding, passing and defence all took considerable strides, and he put up his second most efficient shooting season. Your insistence to blame Irving for other players' & coaches not improving or adapting to their scenario is ridiculous

why are you leaving out Ibaka?  that team was stacked ....  and even though you make little comparisons here and there. The truth is Russell Westbrook back then was the Kyrie of today.  The guy was a major hot dog and at times Durant looked like a passenger...it was sad

Also I like the way you list Irving own little stat improvements

how did that empower the rest of the team? how did this help the team?   

maybe if he focused more on passing... team would have been better for it?  maybe if he let others  "be a hero" late in games, would that have helped better prepare the team?

Kyrie out of all the players deserves the most blame....it is a no brainer

he held the ball the longest, took the most shots,  played inconsistent defense,  poor leadership skills.  He basically called his own shots.... 

At least if he was going to act this way, help empower the others ...by the suggestions above

This lineup was oozing was talent...to let it go down the drain...

Trading for AD with a Kyrie "my team" Irving....goodluck if you think , this is the answer to everything

I won't be rooting against such squad if it happened, but I have my doubts. Even with AD, there is still an underlying issue between Irving and Brad Stevens

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

why are you leaving out Ibaka?  that team was stacked ....  and even though you make little comparisons here and there. The truth is Russell Westbrook back then was the Kyrie of today.  The guy was a major hot dog and at times Durant looked like a passenger...it was sad

maybe if he focused more on passing... team would have been better for it?  maybe if he let others  "be a hero" late in games, would that have helped better prepare the team?

he held the ball the longest, took the most shots,  played inconsistent defense,  poor leadership skills.  He basically called his own shots.... 

At least if he was going to act this way, help empower the others ...by the suggestions above

This lineup was oozing was talent...to let let it go down the drain...
Because Ibaka was a role-player. A role-player with one elite ability, but still a role-player. And that's what the whole darn conversation is about. The team with better elite talent wins. Miami had more elite talent than OKC then. OKC didn't have the 3 MVP's that they are now.

Russell Westbrook of 2012 and Kyrie Irving play nothing at all alike. What are you even talking about?

All the things you're listing as faults are what the best players tend to do. Damian Lillard has done exactly what Kyrie did over his last two series and there's not a peep. He's shooting sub-40% from the field and 31% from three roughly.

How can you empower people when they don't have either the drive nor the capacity to take over??? Far out. You're acting as if he froze Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard. Jayson Tatum failed to empower himself by playing pretty bad offence and terrible defence. Terry Rozier failed to empower himself by playing entirely for himself. I could go on and on.

How about you actually hold all the players who failed to live up to expectations accountable, except just the ones you don't like
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Because Ibaka was a role-player. A role-player with one elite ability, but still a role-player. And that's what the whole darn conversation is about. The team with better elite talent wins. Miami had more elite talent than OKC then. OKC didn't have the 3 MVP's that they are now.

Russell Westbrook of 2012 and Kyrie Irving play nothing at all alike. What are you even talking about?

All the things you're listing as faults are what the best players tend to do. Damian Lillard has done exactly what Kyrie did over his last two series and there's not a peep. He's shooting sub-40% from the field and 31% from three roughly.

How can you empower people when they don't have either the drive nor the capacity to take over??? Far out. You're acting as if he froze Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard. Jayson Tatum failed to empower himself by playing pretty bad offence and terrible defence. Terry Rozier failed to empower himself by playing entirely for himself. I could go on and on.

How about you actually hold all the players who failed to live up to expectations accountable, except just the ones you don't like

You know what

We will never agree...

The only way to solve this is

If a Kyrieless Celts team plays better next season OR a Irving/AD team will play better (compared to 2018-2019 failure team)

I will not use the excuse -  due to the addition of AD

But you eat crow, if I'm right.   Deal?

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2019, 02:05:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You know what

We will never agree...

If a Kyrieless Celts team plays better next season OR a Irving/AD team will play better (compared to 2018-2019 failure team)

I'm firmly in the Pro-Kyrie camp, but with a few caveats. 

#1 - I never saw him as a superstar.  He's an elite guard, though.  For sure.  Top 25 player in the league for sure.  I'd take him over Westbrook or Lillard.

#2 - I have never changed my stance about his free agency.  I said it last season well before it was trendy - there's a very good chance he leaves if things don't go well.  Things haven't gone well.  He may leave.

#3 - I don't think a Top 15-25 player can compete for a title without multiple additional all-stars - so while Kyrie sucked in the Bucks series, I don't hold him accountable for failing to beat a superior team built around a top 3 player.

#4 - I'm not ruling out Boston being "better" next season without him - but to be clear... that only happens if Tatum takes a major leap, Brown takes a leap, Rozier (or someone else) fills in and gives you 70% of Kyrie (as Rozier did in the 2018 playoffs), the team returns to giving 150% effort/execution for Brad (far easier said than done), and/or the team adds a significant star like Davis.    If everyone plays like they did in 2019, minus Kyrie, you're looking at a roster that could be in the lotto next year.

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
If Irving leaves, the Celts don't sign AD and Boston has a markedly better team than the 18/19 squad, what will Irving apologists say ? That will be a sample size of 3 playoff seasons... one with Irving, when the team was not really a team, but a collection of individuals and did not show up against the Bucks; the 17/18 team that over-achieved WITHOUT Irving; and next year when the Celts are legit contenders in the ECFs, WITHOUT Irving. If Danny can wisely utilize our assets and get an upgrade on Baynes at center, get a guard on Reddick's level and Stevens can learn from this years' debacle ( ie. utilize a motion offense, limit the 3 point chucking and consistently get more points in the paint, we will be legitimate contenders. 

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2019, 08:24:27 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
If Irving leaves, the Celts don't sign AD and Boston has a markedly better team than the 18/19 squad, what will Irving apologists say ? That will be a sample size of 3 playoff seasons... one with Irving, when the team was not really a team, but a collection of individuals and did not show up against the Bucks; the 17/18 team that over-achieved WITHOUT Irving; and next year when the Celts are legit contenders in the ECFs, WITHOUT Irving. If Danny can wisely utilize our assets and get an upgrade on Baynes at center, get a guard on Reddick's level and Stevens can learn from this years' debacle ( ie. utilize a motion offense, limit the 3 point chucking and consistently get more points in the paint, we will be legitimate contenders.

Irving apologist here. If the team is better next year without him, I’ll say, “Let’s go Celtics!”
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

You know what

We will never agree...

I'm firmly in the Pro-Kyrie camp, but with a few caveats. 

#1 - I never saw him as a superstar.  He's an elite guard, though.  For sure.  Top 25 player in the league for sure.  I'd take him over Westbrook or Lillard.

#2 - I have never changed my stance about his free agency.  I said it last season well before it was trendy - there's a very good chance he leaves if things don't go well.  Things haven't gone well.  He may leave.

#3 - I don't think a Top 15-25 player can compete for a title without multiple additional all-stars - so while Kyrie sucked in the Bucks series, I don't hold him accountable for failing to beat a superior team built around a top 3 player.

#4 - I'm not ruling out Boston being "better" next season without him - but to be clear... that only happens if Tatum takes a major leap, Brown takes a leap, Rozier (or someone else) fills in and gives you 70% of Kyrie (as Rozier did in the 2018 playoffs), the team returns to giving 150% effort/execution for Brad (far easier said than done), and/or the team adds a significant star like Davis.    If everyone plays like they did in 2019, minus Kyrie, you're looking at a roster that could be in the lotto next year.

Just to add to number 4 minus Davis Horford matters so much to this team, so even if we get all those improvements not to mention Hayward getting better that you also left out it may all be for not if big Al declines further in his age 33 season.  He is our anchor to our defense, and we run a lot of our offense through him on the other end.

For all the obvious reasons why I want Davis but with Horford at a fragile age we have no replacement unless somehow Williams makes a miraculous leap in his game.

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2019, 09:06:54 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Kyrie better than Lillard.  That's hilarious. 

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Color me curious as well..

I agree with some of your suggestions. A  3 point marksman and upgrade/much better rebounder to Baynes... would help

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Damian+Lillard&player_id1_select=Damian+Lillard&y1=2019&player_id1=lillada01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Kyrie+Irving&player_id2_select=Kyrie+Irving&y2=2019&player_id2=irvinky01&idx=players

Make an argument, rather than just posting hyperbolic nonsense.

Kyrie leads in FG%, 2PT%, 3PT%, eFG%, TS% assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, etc., he leads in DRtg and Net Rtg, and his points per possession are almost identical.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:32:20 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Damian+Lillard&player_id1_select=Damian+Lillard&y1=2019&player_id1=lillada01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Kyrie+Irving&player_id2_select=Kyrie+Irving&y2=2019&player_id2=irvinky01&idx=players

Kyrie leads in FG%, 2PT%, 3PT%, eFG%, TS% assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, etc., he leads in DRtg and Net Rtg, and his points per possession are almost identical.

Lillard also has a higher time of possession and avg number of dribbles per possession than Kyrie. In other words, he holds the ball more than Kyrie does.

Just intercepting the inevitable "he passes the ball more!" claim.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Lillard also has a higher time of possession and avg number of dribbles per possession than Kyrie. In other words, he holds the ball more than Kyrie does.

Just intercepting the inevitable "he passes the ball more!" claim.

You forgot a few "stats" that can't be measured.   Intangibles and leadership  .... where this is easily Lillard > Irving

I don't think anyone is denying the fact that Irving is a talented scorer/player

but without Lebron, can you win with him?  keep the house in order?

thus far the jury is out

Blazers team has half the talent (as a whole) then the Celts have... it would be interesting to hear how you think this happened
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:11:59 PM by triboy16f »