Poll

Please vote for which day you want to draft (10am - 4pm EST)

Wednesday, Sept. 6
0 (0%)
Thursday, Sept. 7
0 (0%)
Either one / no preference
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2017 Constitutional Convention  (Read 9505 times)

Re: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2017 Constitutional Convention
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Proposed Amendment #3:
-------------------------------
When Yahoo! does not allow for a 19-week schedule (i.e. one where each team plays every other team only once) the second matchup shall be determined by the previous season's record — where #1 will play #2 twice, #3 will play #4 twice, etc.

Reasoning: Our constitution states that when something is not covered we'll use the default Yahoo! settings. So I'd also like to make this formalized.

Again I'd prefer to move away from randomness in determining the outcome of the league.

Rather than a good team, randomly, getting to play the worst team twice — the "best" teams should have a harder schedule and have to play the other "best" teams twice to even things out.

I realize a team from the previous season can jump or drop in the standings the following year, but previous year's record still seems like a better method to determine a 2nd matchup (and it's relatively easy to do in the league settings.)

I'll second this but contingent on clarifying what #1, #2, etc means. Are we talking about regular season record or playoff finish (which is what Yahoo defaults to using for end of season rankings)?

As I put in the amendment text I am proposing regular season record.

I figured that's what you meant but wanted to be sure, mainly because of the mention of Yahoo defaults.  Seconded.

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Proposed Amendment #3:
When Yahoo! does not allow for a 19-week schedule (i.e. one where each team plays every other team only once) the second matchup shall be determined by the previous season's record — where #1 will play #2 twice, #3 will play #4 twice, etc.

Reasoning: Our constitution states that when something is not covered we'll use the default Yahoo! settings. So I'd also like to make this formalized.

Again I'd prefer to move away from randomness in determining the outcome of the league.

Rather than a good team, randomly, getting to play the worst team twice — the "best" teams should have a harder schedule and have to play the other "best" teams twice to even things out.

I realize a team from the previous season can jump or drop in the standings the following year, but previous year's record still seems like a better method to determine a 2nd matchup (and it's relatively easy to do in the league settings.)

I'll second this but contingent on clarifying what #1, #2, etc means. Are we talking about regular season record or playoff finish (which is what Yahoo defaults to using for end of season rankings)?

As I put in the amendment text I am proposing regular season record.

I figured that's what you meant but wanted to be sure, mainly because of the mention of Yahoo defaults.  Seconded.

Third.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Proposed Amendment #1:
Once a draft pick is traded, it becomes the absolute property of the acquiring team. Any penalties levied against the prior team for failing the games played audit, will not be set against the traded draft pick.

OK, here's how I wrote the actual amendment -- I though it made more sense to put in the Audit section than in the trades section:

Constitutional Amendment #1
Revised vote totals needed for amendments
8. At the end of the season the commissioner will conduct an Games Played Audit of the 12 non-playoff teams. For each player with either an O-Rank or Season (total) Rank of 100 or better which misses more than 20 games that he plays in real life (i.e. Basketball Reference “games played” minus Y! Team Log “GP” > 20 games) that team shall be penalized 5 post-lottery draft spots for any first round picks they own, which become their property once traded for. GMs may appeal this penalty to the league. Reversal requires an majority vote (i.e. 11 votes).2.

Proposed by DinoGanja, seconded by Fairweatherfan

additions in bold italic red
deletions are bold and struckthrough
consent additions in bold blue

I figured this was the easiest, most word economical way to write it. Since a team who receives a pick (or a 2nd or 3rd pick) could also fail the audit and I think should therefore be penalized on their trade-for picks (if they have any) too.

Is this clear enough or do we need to be explicit that penalties assessed are on the owning team, not the originiating team?

You OK with that DinoGanja as the maker of the amendment?
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Amendment 1 looks like to a solid attempt discourage blatant tanking.  That's definitely a good thing.  But, at this early stage, it's also a bit frustrating to be on the opposing end.  I understand that this can't be properly considered until after this season, but just my 2 cents.

Example: If I win by a large margin any given week because my opposition was benching players, that will still negatively affect my draft position.  Pretty frustrating for those that are actively trying to dig ourselves out of the dregs.

Edit: I'll add that a player may have a very good season but fall just outside the top 100 per O-rank.  In addition, injuries could skew said players performance any given week (e.g., Jaylen Brown's 23 shot attempts in game 1).
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC