Author Topic: Michael Porter Jr meeting with Celtics today  (Read 6981 times)

Re: Michael Porter Jr meeting with Celtics tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 12:09:48 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Looks like we are at least considering trading up.

I remember reading what a GM (can't remember who it was) said when it came to draft meetings, that even if you aren't going to draft a player it's good to gain intel about a player for either future scouting against the player or like others have said that if he falls in the draft you are not unprepared.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:36 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I remember reading what a GM (can't remember who it was) said when it came to draft meetings, that even if you aren't going to draft a player it's good to gain intel about a player for either future scouting against the player or like others have said that if he falls in the draft you are not unprepared.

Killjoy over here.

We are trading up and that's the end of it. OK?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 12:35:24 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Before that injury many of us were touting Michael Porter Jr. as easily the best player in this draft. Would not be shocked if he skyrocketed right back into top 2 contention.

Could you imagine being a GM and watching tape of Porter and Doncic and having to envision where they'll both be in 5 years? Passing on Porter Jr. could look ridiculous when we're looking back on this draft.

To top it all off the type of season Donovan Mitchell, Simmons, Tatum just had couldn't have laid the ground work better for teams wondering if a guy like MPJ could contribute immediately. Could definitely see Porter at 2 to the Kings.
Awesome take. Orrrrrrrrr.......

Porter is taking on a ton of interviews with teams outside the top 5-10 picks because he has something in his medical records thats going to raise major red flags with teams. Jared Sullinger was considered a top 5 pick until his back injury stuff. Then he fell into the 20's to the Celtics.

Backs are funny things. They might be the most important physical part of any athlete. If Porter doesn't have the best medical records concerning his back, it would make sense for him to talk to teams farther down in the draft, because thats where he might be taken.

This would be so nuts. I was hyped for Sullinger, and happy that we drafted Sullinger. He even had a good run with us.

Porter would be like Sullinger times 100.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 01:17:39 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Huge IF, but it's a great chance for the Celtics to decide whether he's a top-3 guy in this draft (his original projection pre-injury).

Say he's #1 on their board, and he's available mid-to-late lottery, it could be another C's heist.

He's a legit 6'10" I believe... could project as a PF with 40% 3PT and 80%+ FTs someday.

All super speculative but just imagine if he slotted in as a Brown/ Tatum level hit...

I said when I first saw him he could be the perfect stretch four, for the Celtics.

The future with

Horford
Porter Jr
Tatum
Brown
Kyrie

That's just sick. Disgusting even. Grotesque. Obviously we still have Hayward too. It's just unfair.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 01:27:47 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Before that injury many of us were touting Michael Porter Jr. as easily the best player in this draft. Would not be shocked if he skyrocketed right back into top 2 contention.

Could you imagine being a GM and watching tape of Porter and Doncic and having to envision where they'll both be in 5 years? Passing on Porter Jr. could look ridiculous when we're looking back on this draft.

To top it all off the type of season Donovan Mitchell, Simmons, Tatum just had couldn't have laid the ground work better for teams wondering if a guy like MPJ could contribute immediately. Could definitely see Porter at 2 to the Kings.
Awesome take. Orrrrrrrrr.......

Porter is taking on a ton of interviews with teams outside the top 5-10 picks because he has something in his medical records thats going to raise major red flags with teams. Jared Sullinger was considered a top 5 pick until his back injury stuff. Then he fell into the 20's to the Celtics.

Backs are funny things. They might be the most important physical part of any athlete. If Porter doesn't have the best medical records concerning his back, it would make sense for him to talk to teams farther down in the draft, because thats where he might be taken.

I’d consider the back the most important physical part of a human being, forget athlete.

But I do think his willingness to get surgery NOW as opposed to hiding/delaying is a good thing. He’s definitely a risk but he’s one of those rare guys that may be worth it this early in the draft. Probably not #1 or 2 but I wouldn’t be shocked if he goes anywhere from 3 to 13. I doubt he slips below 7/8 as the concern is definitely there, but the talent is undeniable. High risk, high reward.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 02:09:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Killjoy over here.

We are trading up and that's the end of it. OK?
Sure. It's Tatum and Brown for the top pick.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
The NBA schedules these meetings. Has nothing to do with teams making a decision to interview someone.

That just doesn't make any sense. Doesn't mean that what you wrote it not true, it just makes no sense.

Wel it is true and whether it makes sense or not is how they schedule things at the Combine. It doesnt mean that teams cant schedule their own meetings but the NBA does schedule meetings with players and teams.

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Not sold on Porter. Harry Giles was supposed to be a surething talent coming out of high school as well.
feel like the kings decided to tank so they didn't return Giles in January  when they could have

I forgot about Giles.  I guess SAC decided to try the Philly rookie development process.  Keep your prospect out for the entire first season.

Anyway, so SAC will add Giles and another top rookie to the team.  Wow, that is some stockpiling.  Not sure that will help them all that much for next season but they will have compiled some talent.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I wonder if Dallas (5th pick), or Orlando (6th pick) could be trade partners.  There is much talk in other threads about a Rozier, 27th pick to move up that high.  Maybe even add Morris to the mix too, and any non Kings/Grizzlies picks.  For someone like Mark Cuban probably looking to get back on the winning side sooner than later maybe there’s a chance there. 

I’m fine though with just running it back with the same group if that ends up happening.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I wonder if Dallas (5th pick), or Orlando (6th pick) could be trade partners.  There is much talk in other threads about a Rozier, 27th pick to move up that high.  Maybe even add Morris to the mix too, and any non Kings/Grizzlies picks.  For someone like Mark Cuban probably looking to get back on the winning side sooner than later maybe there’s a chance there. 

I’m fine though with just running it back with the same group if that ends up happening.

To be honest, if Rozier, 27th Pick, Yabusele and the Grizzlies Pick is enough to get us pick #5 or #6 in this draft, I'm doing it.

I know that Grizzlies Pick is valuable, but this draft is loaded with big men and blue chip prospects that I think makes it worth it. It's still too early to tell, but the 2019 draft doesn't look like it'll be this good.

We still get to keep the 2019 Kings Pick, and with #5 or #6, we'd have a shot at the likes of Bamba, Porter, Carter, maybe Jaren Jackson.

I really wanted Bagley, but unfortunately I don't see him falling past #3. There's NO CHANCE we get Ayton or Doncic though, as they are likely going 1-2 in some form this Draft (unless Doncic actually decides to enter the Draft next year, where the Kings Pick looks sexy!).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

To be honest, if Rozier, 27th Pick, Yabusele and the Grizzlies Pick is enough to get us pick #5 or #6 in this draft, I'm doing it.

I know that Grizzlies Pick is valuable, but this draft is loaded with big men and blue chip prospects that I think makes it worth it. It's still too early to tell, but the 2019 draft doesn't look like it'll be this good.

We still get to keep the 2019 Kings Pick, and with #5 or #6, we'd have a shot at the likes of Bamba, Porter, Carter, maybe Jaren Jackson.

I really wanted Bagley, but unfortunately I don't see him falling past #3. There's NO CHANCE we get Ayton or Doncic though, as they are likely going 1-2 in some form this Draft (unless Doncic actually decides to enter the Draft next year, where the Kings Pick looks sexy!).

I’m on the fence with that proposal.  That Grizzlies pick could turn into gold in a couple years.  I might be in the minority, but I could see Yabs making a leap in his game in the next year or 2(started playing basketball late as a kid).  Ainge has options though if he truly wants to trade into that range he can offer different trade packages.

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I’m on the fence with that proposal.  That Grizzlies pick could turn into gold in a couple years.  I might be in the minority, but I could see Yabs making a leap in his game in the next year or 2(started playing basketball late as a kid).  Ainge has options though if he truly wants to trade into that range he can offer different trade packages.

Yeah. Actually, in a way, you can consider Rozier as our "Brooklyn Pick" this year  :P

I mean, BKN Pick was #8 for CLE this year, and you imagine Rozier and another asset *could* get us at least a lottery pick (maybe even a pick in 5-10 range)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Michael Porter Jr meeting with Celtics today
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Maybe they're going to talk about his brother, who is likely to be available in the 20s.

As for trading Rozier, it's definitely a buyer's market for point guards. I don't think we'll get much in return for him. But as they say, it only takes one GM to fall in love with him, convince himself that he's not a product of Stevens's system, and believe that trading draft picks to Ainge is a good move for his career.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Not sold on Porter. Harry Giles was supposed to be a surething talent coming out of high school as well.
feel like the kings decided to tank so they didn't return Giles in January  when they could have

I forgot about Giles.  I guess SAC decided to try the Philly rookie development process.  Keep your prospect out for the entire first season.

Anyway, so SAC will add Giles and another top rookie to the team.  Wow, that is some stockpiling.  Not sure that will help them all that much for next season but they will have compiled some talent.

I imagine Ayton goes first and they take Doncic second. But to me the core question is do they expect 2 or 3 if their young(ish) bigs to pan out? If it’s 2, this young 5 looks decent:

Fox
Hield
Doncic
Giles
Skal / WCS

That’s assuming Giles + Skal can be a 12-7 guys relatively soon, Fox develops in years 2 and 3, and Buddy Hield can put up 20-4-3 in 2 years, which I think he could. Not as good as Phoenix, but not bad, and probably more draft picks to come after next year.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: Michael Porter Jr meeting with Celtics today
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Michael Porter, at his peak, is a very reasonable Kevin Durant comp. His offensive game is that advanced already. he is also a better rebounder than Durant. It was even more advanced than Jayson Tatum's, at the same age. Believe that! We just didn't get to witness it other than the 2 games this year in the SEC tourney. I would give up half the farm, as far as amateur players go that don't get drafted in the top 2 or 3. I'm talking the Sacramento pick and the Memphis pick.