Author Topic: Derrick White extension?  (Read 13939 times)

Re: Derrick White extension?
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2024, 05:44:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
For those worried about Jrue's contract becoming an albatross: he's not going to be top 40 in the NBA in salary next season and by the time season actually starts he might not be top 50. As the cap continues to rise, he'll continue to fall down that list.

I imagine some of the calculus here might be that the front off knows they are likely to be a team operating over the 2nd apron going forward and so if Jrue is washed in 2027 and they need to make some kind of move, they'll want to have a salary of his size to attach picks to in order to bring back a good player.

1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2024, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 565
For those worried about Jrue's contract becoming an albatross: he's not going to be top 40 in the NBA in salary next season and by the time season actually starts he might not be top 50. As the cap continues to rise, he'll continue to fall down that list.

I imagine some of the calculus here might be that the front off knows they are likely to be a team operating over the 2nd apron going forward and so if Jrue is washed in 2027 and they need to make some kind of move, they'll want to have a salary of his size to attach picks to in order to bring back a good player.

I think the fear is less that the contract is huge, and more that he's about to be 34. He's at an age where guys can drop off fast. Now he's a smart defender, and a good shooter, and those skills typically hold up well. But still, it could very well end up a bad contract. Paying a guy for their age 34-37 years is always a risk.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 01:23:01 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2024, 01:15:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559

I think the fear is less that the contract is huge, and more that he's about to be 34. He's at an age where guys can drop off fast. Now he's a smart defender, and a good shooter, and those skills typically hold up well. But still, it could very well end up a bad contract.
34 and in year 16. There are very few players in league history that hold up well in years 16-19 and most of the ones that do are big guys. That said, Paul held up alright in year 16 and 17, but cratered quickly in years 18 and 19
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2024, 01:26:59 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

I think the fear is less that the contract is huge, and more that he's about to be 34. He's at an age where guys can drop off fast. Now he's a smart defender, and a good shooter, and those skills typically hold up well. But still, it could very well end up a bad contract.
34 and in year 16. There are very few players in league history that hold up well in years 16-19 and most of the ones that do are big guys. That said, Paul held up alright in year 16 and 17, but cratered quickly in years 18 and 19

Yep, paying guys at that age is a huge risk. You do it and hope he plays well the next two years. That's your window, this year and the next two (while kristaps is also under contract). After that maybe he falls off and you have to dump him, but they clearly didn't want to risk losing him for nothing while contending. Basically its a compete now, figure it out later, type contract.

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2024, 01:28:13 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Different players too. Paul relied heavily on his quickness and he was undersized as a primary ball-handler. Holiday is a big and strong guard, spot up shooter, offensive rebounder, and versatile defender.

« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2024, 01:57:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Different players too. Paul relied heavily on his quickness and he was undersized as a primary ball-handler. Holiday is a big and strong guard, spot up shooter, offensive rebounder, and versatile defender.

I will say it seems like from all accounts he takes excellent care of his body, so maybe reaosn to be optimistic on him retaining value.

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2024, 02:21:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559

Holiday is 6'4", which is big for a PG, but not so big for a SG, such that if he loses any quickness, especially laterally, he will struggle to guard PG's and he won't have a size advantage at SG.  We've already seen him tail off defensively though and that slide will only continue.  Jrue is a good shooter, but he is far from great and has been inconsistent in his career (though was excellent this year).  I just can't see this contract ending well and I do think it will be albatross that will require an asset to move off of. Well worth it if the team wins a title, but probably not if we don't.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2024, 02:33:18 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Holiday is 6'4", which is big for a PG, but not so big for a SG, such that if he loses any quickness, especially laterally, he will struggle to guard PG's and he won't have a size advantage at SG.  We've already seen him tail off defensively though and that slide will only continue.  Jrue is a good shooter, but he is far from great and has been inconsistent in his career (though was excellent this year).  I just can't see this contract ending well and I do think it will be albatross that will require an asset to move off of. Well worth it if the team wins a title, but probably not if we don't.

I don't really disagree with the concerns. All I'll say is when you're trying to win a title you usually have to accept some amount of risk on the back end. Look at Milwaukee, or Golden State. They both have contracts on their books that are eitehr bad now or will possibly end up bad, but they did it for the chance to win "now." Phili might pay 34 year old Paul George a max this summer just to have a chance.

Its why ownership being willing to spend is maybe the biggest competitive advantage in sports. For now Wyc and co seem willing to pay a big bill, but will they pay a HUGE bill? we'll see.