Author Topic: Best move : bench upgrade ?  (Read 3737 times)

Re: Best move : bench upgrade ?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Hi everyone ! (Long time no see :) )

Given the performance against Toronto so far (2-0 lead as I write these lines), I'm really starting to think that the Celtics currently have what it takes in their starting 5 (+Marcus Smart when Hayward is healthy) for a deep championship run. The Center position might be weak but I think we have a very good price/quality ratio.

From my point of view, the bench is gonna be the weakness this year and the years to come for the Celtics

Considering that, wouldn't the best interseason move, be to recruit some cheap and experienced free agents who could just bring scoring (and some D) from the bench ? I feel like the C's could sometimes benefit a lot from a "Lou Williams" type of player, who can catch fire and bring 15/20 points to keep the team afloat while the starters are resting.

What do you think ? I see names like Davis Bertans being on the list, for example...

The bench is just a bench I feel like it’s fine. Just keep it with youthful motivated guys and they will be fine. In my opinion, doing center by committee is also working.

I think what cripples teams is we play great team defense and the starters can create their own shots. The only position that can’t is the center position. I feel like we should keep the bench youthful and try our hand in getting Embiid.

https://tradenba.com/trades/pT-5L909l

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 05:58:01 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Hi everyone ! (Long time no see :) )

Given the performance against Toronto so far (2-0 lead as I write these lines), I'm really starting to think that the Celtics currently have what it takes in their starting 5 (+Marcus Smart when Hayward is healthy) for a deep championship run. The Center position might be weak but I think we have a very good price/quality ratio.

From my point of view, the bench is gonna be the weakness this year and the years to come for the Celtics

Considering that, wouldn't the best interseason move, be to recruit some cheap and experienced free agents who could just bring scoring (and some D) from the bench ? I feel like the C's could sometimes benefit a lot from a "Lou Williams" type of player, who can catch fire and bring 15/20 points to keep the team afloat while the starters are resting.

What do you think ? I see names like Davis Bertans being on the list, for example...

The bench is just a bench I feel like it’s fine. Just keep it with youthful motivated guys and they will be fine. In my opinion, doing center by committee is also working.

I think what cripples teams is we play great team defense and the starters can create their own shots. The only position that can’t is the center position. I feel like we should keep the bench youthful and try our hand in getting Embiid.

https://tradenba.com/trades/pT-5L909l
Embiid is dying to go to Miami. I feel like if we get him next summer it will be Kyrie Irving all over again... too much risk and drama.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would grab some older, over 21, year-old players from the draft. Desmond Bane is my draft binkie this year. He has an NBA skill, shooting, right out of the gait. He has a high motor and he's a good defender. Bane already has a mature NBA body and could play bench minutes off the bat. There are some good solid role players in this draft and they could help The Celtics shore up the bench.
There are quite a few older college players available that are strong. Achiuwa (older freshman), Saddiq Bey, Tyler Bey, Bane, Woodard and Tillman are all solid older prospects.

One of my binkies, Kira Lewis Jr, is an interesting one, because of his reclassification. He's a sophomore, but he's not 20 until April next year. He's younger than a lot of the freshman in the draft
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 07:19:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I would grab some older, over 21, year-old players from the draft. Desmond Bane is my draft binkie this year. He has an NBA skill, shooting, right out of the gait. He has a high motor and he's a good defender. Bane already has a mature NBA body and could play bench minutes off the bat. There are some good solid role players in this draft and they could help The Celtics shore up the bench.
There are quite a few older college players available that are strong. Achiuwa (older freshman), Saddiq Bey, Tyler Bey, Bane, Woodard and Tillman are all solid older prospects.

One of my binkies, Kira Lewis Jr, is an interesting one, because of his reclassification. He's a sophomore, but he's not 20 until April next year. He's younger than a lot of the freshman in the draft

The Celtics could get some good solid role players in this draft on cost-controlled contracts. That's a good list. I like Lewis Jr too. We could really use some good bench shooters. I like Saddiq Bey, Bane, Pat Williams, Jalen Smith as shooters. Shooting is more important than ever. I don't really think we need any projects, I guess Jalen Smith is a project, I want guys that can play next season like Grant Williams this year.

Achiuwa makes me nervious due to his shaky shot. I like Paul Reed better.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The Celtics could get some good solid role players in this draft on cost-controlled contracts. That's a good list. I like Lewis Jr too. We could really use some good bench shooters. I like Saddiq Bey, Bane, Pat Williams, Jalen Smith as shooters. Shooting is more important than ever. I don't really think we need any projects, I guess Jalen Smith is a project, I want guys that can play next season like Grant Williams this year.

I like Paul Reed a lot too - he's my original binkie of this draft. I could see him developing into a Jerami Grant type player with better rebounding. Hope we take him #26 or #30

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Bench next year could look pretty solid with Hayward, Theis (Rob starting) and GWill.  Then there's Romeo, Carson, and Tremont -- who knows?   This years' picks.  This group may not be ready, but if a couple do make a leap (and this predicated on a big leap for Rob and Gordon as 6th man), this looks good to me.  Add Kanter -- great! Lots of issues get solved if Rob Williams can be a legit 2-way center a little sooner and a little better than expected.

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

I like Paul Reed a lot too - he's my original binkie of this draft. I could see him developing into a Jerami Grant type player with better rebounding. Hope we take him #26 or #30

My Binkies are Reed and Bane. I like the way Reed moves and his shooting could make him a very good two-way player. Bane's shooting and big solid frame make him look NBA ready. If you can get those two with 26 and 30 I would be overjoyed!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:50:35 PM by liam »

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 09:56:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

My Binkies are Reed and Bane. I like the way Reed moves and his shooting could make him a very good two-way player. Bane's shooting and big solid frame make him look NBA ready. If you can get those two with 26 and 30 I would be overjoyed!
Considering we picked one of my binkies last year in Grant I'm hoping we snag Reed. He'd fit in our defence so nicely

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 10:42:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
-Move Hayward to the bench.
-Hope the young bench guys grow into roles.
-Draft more size as we have wings and guards already.