Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413108 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1260 on: April 15, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thought it could have been better for a return after such a long hiatus.

I didn’t expect all six episodes to be action-packed start to finish, but this was far too slow. I know they needed to set some stuff up, but plenty of stuff didn’t need as much screen time as it received.

I didn't mind the slow pace but the long dragon sequences didn't offer anything. It actually verified that the show is more about the show and not the story as it was tin the 6th season

The dragon part was more of a drag on part (*beeps bike horn*) but the idea is to keep ramping up Dany and Jon's bond so when they're pitted against each other later it feels more meaningful.

There are a LOT of major characters in Winterfell now. Wonder if they'll do any actual damage to each other - Arya and the Hound seem like the wild cards there - or if they'll just kinda glower and bicker til the Night King shows up.
Given the episode titles they have leaked already, just glower. No time at all to do anything more before the dead arrive.

I'm not looking them up nobody can make me! I did see the previews and it seems like next episode is them preparing for the arrival then the fight will be in Ep 3.

It felt for a long time like the final battle would be in Winterfell but the timing makes it seem pretty sure they're gonna get overrun there or just sieged while the bulk of the dead head south. Looks like it'll all come to a head in King's Landing - Harrenhal would be a fun curveball but nah, they really want the symbolism of a fight for the throne.

« Reply #1261 on: April 15, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I've always thought that the others would get all the way to the south. They were the big threat to change the status quo (the great wheel of houses), having them stopped in the North didn't seem to be in line with that.

But who knows, with so few episodes and no actual book to go with we're flying by the seats of a TV show that's shot like a movie.

« Reply #1262 on: April 15, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
My expectation for the rest of the season is episode 2 is the final preparations for the battle with the Night King.  Episode 3, is the battle with the dead.  I actually expect the humans to defeat the Night King in the north and in that episode and believe that to get it done, Jon will have to fulfill the prophecy and kill Dany to do it.  Episode 4 will be mostly battle aftermath, regrouping, and the march south to take on Cersei.  Episode 5 and probably into Episode 6 will be the battles for Kings Landing and I believe that Jamie will kill Cersei fulfilling that prophecy.  The rest of Episode 6 will be the final aftermath and having everyone alive ending up back where they belong.  I expect all of the remaining Starks to live, though wouldn't be surprised if Bran and/or Sansa end up perishing.  I think Jamie is the only Lannister left (ends up with Brienne ruling Casterly Rock), though could see Tyrion making it through.  I think Gendry survives and takes over his fathers kingdom and probably wed to Arya.  I think Samwell ends up taking over his father's kingdom and basically running that whole part of the world as Jon's hand of the king.

Of course, I've probably got this all wrong, but that is the fun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:18:45 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1263 on: April 15, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
My expectation for the rest of the season is episode 2 is the final preparations for the battle with the Night King.  Episode 3, is the battle with the dead.  I actually expect the humans to defeat the Night King in the north and in that episode and believe that to get it done, Jon will have to fulfill the prophecy and kill Dany to do it.  Episode 4 will be mostly battle aftermath, regrouping, and the march south to take on Cersei.  Episode 5 and probably into Episode 6 will be the battles for Kings Landing and I believe that Jamie will kill Cersei fulfilling that prophecy.  The rest of Episode 6 will be the final aftermath and having everyone alive ending up back where they belong.  I expect all of the remaining Starks to live, though wouldn't be surprised if Bran and/or Sansa end up perishing.  I think Jamie is the only Lannister left (ends up with Brienne ruling Casterly Rock), though could see Tyrion making it through.  I think Gendry survives and takes over his fathers kingdom and probably wed to Arya.  I think Samwell ends up taking over his father's kingdom and basically running that whole part of the world as Jon's hand of the king.

Interesting take, especially Cersei as the real "final boss" of the show. I think the Walkers have been built up as such a huge existential threat that it's gotta be them, but she's going to factor in somehow. It would fit in with her stated plan to take on whatever weakened force is left but I had read that as her underestimating the threat.

And while I wouldn't rule out everyone returning to their respective kingdoms - it's probably not coincidental that everyone but the Tyrells has at least one member standing - but I keep expecting all the "break the wheel" talk to make for a huge shift in governance. I expect somebody's dragon will be melting down the Iron Throne for example.

« Reply #1264 on: April 15, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

I think there is not much bitterness in that ending scenario..
Its been well documented that the ending is going to be so unexpected that some people will go mental and not accept it....or so ive heard.

I think Jon dies sacrificing himself while killing the Night king , Arya will probably be the only Stark left. The imp definitely lives and Jaime kills Cersei.
Bran I think will go back in the past in a sort of twist that will keep us guessing before the end credits roll out.

« Reply #1265 on: April 15, 2019, 06:46:04 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

Its been well documented that the ending is going to be so unexpected that some people will go mental and not accept it....or so ive heard.

I think Jon dies sacrificing himself while killing the Night king , Arya will probably be the only Stark left. The imp definitely lives and Jaime kills Cersei.
Bran I think will go back in the past in a sort of twist that will keep us guessing before the end credits roll out.

A result that would definitely make me go mental:

Everyone we love dies.  Robin Arryn sucking his thumb in the vale during all the fighting sits on the iron throne.

« Reply #1266 on: April 15, 2019, 07:00:08 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

you don't think Jon killing Dany will cause bitterness?

« Reply #1267 on: April 15, 2019, 07:35:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I think Dani will kill Jon.

« Reply #1268 on: April 15, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I for one feel the story lines have been much worse without Martin's material to guide them.

To those in the know Dani's always been the enormous red herring with the obvious clues that anyone would gather.   Jon's were more subtle but there and there for a reason.  Only folks really paying attention would have noted the details of Sir Patrek surcoat to fulfill the prophecy.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Patrek_of_King%27s_Mountain

Jon is clearly the Prince that was Promised. After all, the prophecy says that the stars will bleed and that he will be "reborn amidst salt and smoke." Well, when Jon Snow goes down, Ser Patrek is specifically mentioned as falling next to him (or on him? I forget). Patrek's surcoat was earlier described as a spattering of white stars on a midnight background, and when Wun Wun kills him blood spatters across his surcoat. So that's the stars bleeding. There is smoke from a nearby fire, and also Bowen Marsh is specifically described as crying, so there's your salt and smoke.

Salt + Smoke + Bleeding Stars + Melisandre being in the vicinity = reborn as the Prince that was Promised.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:05:10 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #1269 on: April 15, 2019, 08:33:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

probably the most plausible outcome.  kudos to you if you nail the upcoming plot lines and end results.

« Reply #1270 on: April 15, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

It’s kind of fun that we’re not sure which way it will go. If the show is true to the spirit of seasons 1-3, the people we care about most will make well-meaning but impulsive decisions and pay the price, while the bad, hard-hearted people will triumph. But in more recent seasons I’ve come to expect more fan service in favor of the good guys. Probably the hardest thing to imagine is Jon actually sitting the throne. Too syrupy. Unless maybe he kills Dany first, so he has to brood sadly about it. More likely to see Sansa, as a former innocent now wizened. The darkest timeline (short of the Night King winning) is Cersei killing pretty much everybody and ruling.

« Reply #1271 on: April 15, 2019, 09:26:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

It’s kind of fun that we’re not sure which way it will go. If the show is true to the spirit of seasons 1-3, the people we care about most will make well-meaning but impulsive decisions and pay the price, while the bad, hard-hearted people will triumph. But in more recent seasons I’ve come to expect more fan service in favor of the good guys. Probably the hardest thing to imagine is Jon actually sitting the throne. Too syrupy. Unless maybe he kills Dany first, so he has to brood sadly about it. More likely to see Sansa, as a former innocent now wizened. The darkest timeline (short of the Night King winning) is Cersei killing pretty much everybody and ruling.
Martin loves prophecies. It is almost 100% guaranteed that Tyrion or Jamie kills Cersei.  And I can't imagine that the show will alter that much from Martin's ending.

« Reply #1272 on: April 15, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Dani isn't essential to the story.  Jon is.

Dani can die and it will not break the storytelling.  If Jon died, it would objectively be poor writing since he's the central arc of the whole thing.

« Reply #1273 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Dani isn't essential to the story.  Jon is.

Dani can die and it will not break the storytelling.  If Jon died, it would objectively be poor writing since he's the central arc of the whole thing.
yep. This is the story of Aegon Targaryen the 6th of his name

« Reply #1274 on: April 15, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
A result that would definitely make me go mental:

Everyone we love dies.  Robin Arryn sucking his thumb in the vale during all the fighting sits on the iron throne.

I'm doing a Game of Thrones death pool with some friends and Robyn is my mostly joke answer to the tiebreaker of who winds up on the throne (my real answer is no one).

I keep thinking about the "three dragon riders" stuff that was played up a lot in the books and talked about here. We know who they are now, but instead of 3 dragons vs none it looks like 2 on 1. But what if it's more like 1 vs 1 vs 1? Jon and Dany in conflict while battling the Night King. We've seen how she reacts when she's really challenged - mass crucifixions, dragon fire, etc. I think she's going to react very badly when she finds out Jon has the real claim and probably do something of a villain turn. Seriously doubt she'll become the Night Queen or whatever as some are speculating but they're definitely setting them up for a conflict and I don't think there's much chance both she and Jon survive. It's really a question of if he takes her out out of love (like in the Prince Who Was Promised legend) or in a fight.