Author Topic: Do You Actually Think Kyrie Likes The Idea Of Playing In Boston?  (Read 10261 times)

Re: Do You Actually Think Kyrie Likes The Idea Of Playing In Boston?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I think he does. The franchise's history has some big names that carried the team. Who wouldn't want to be loved as much as PP is?

Isaiah was loved and...

Welp.  :'(

So were Walter McCarty and Brian Scalabrine.  How did it work out for them?

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I hope he does, the city is already embracing him

http://imgur.com/a/DvYs9

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
I think he does. The franchise's history has some big names that carried the team. Who wouldn't want to be loved as much as PP is?

Isaiah was loved and...

Scal ended up with a ring.

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Isaiah was loved and...

Scal ended up with a ring.
And now he works a decent gig with the media.

And McCarty is a coach, right?

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I hope he does, the city is already embracing him

http://imgur.com/a/DvYs9

I just saw this but LOL!

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
I see most people on social media saying BOS lost this trade, "took an L", simply because Kyrie will bolt in 2 years. If that's the case... ugh.

Hope not. He does seem happy to be in Boston BUT we haven't heard anything from Kyrie directly either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 01:36:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I see most people on social media saying BOS lost this trade, "took an L", simply because Kyrie will bolt in 2 years. If that's the case... ugh.

Hope not. He does seem happy to be in Boston BUT we haven't heard anything from Kyrie directly either.
That's just the inherent risk of having a great player in the NBA now-a-days. Contracts are so short and player options are the norm, you don't have more than 2 or 3 years of certainty for any player who isn't still on a rookie deal.

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

It's been widely reported that Boston feels "very strongly" that Kyrie will stay here long-term. Danny wouldn't have made this trade if he didnt have a good idea of Kyrie's intentions.

Besides, where else would he go? The only teams that come to mind are the Knicks and Nets for him to be closer to home, but do you really think he'd leave a perennial contender where's he's "the man" go to either of those dumpster fires?

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

That's just the inherent risk of having a great player in the NBA now-a-days. Contracts are so short and player options are the norm, you don't have more than 2 or 3 years of certainty for any player who isn't still on a rookie deal.

Makes sense, but that will be awful if he does leave.

I hated this trade to begin with (vast overpay) and it will actually look even worse if Kyrie bolts in 2 years.

TONS of risks involved here.

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 01:46:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

It's been widely reported that Boston feels "very strongly" that Kyrie will stay here long-term. Danny wouldn't have made this trade if he didnt have a good idea of Kyrie's intentions.

Besides, where else would he go? The only teams that come to mind are the Knicks and Nets for him to be closer to home, but do you really think he'd leave a perennial contender where's he's "the man" go to either of those dumpster fires?

Who knows? Maybe San Antonio find a way to clear space and get Irving (though he'd still be like a #2 guy behind Leonard there)?

Phoenix?

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Makes sense, but that will be awful if he does leave.

I hated this trade to begin with (vast overpay) and it will actually look even worse if Kyrie bolts in 2 years.

TONS of risks involved here.

If we get to the finals within the next two seasons, hard to imagine Kyrie bolting, especially if he is leading the way, which is to be expected.  I think it is fair to say it will become his team, just as it was IT's team last season.  Gordon Hayward seems content to be a strong side kick guy, same with Al.  Can see Tatum maybe stepping up to co-star with Irving, but not for 3-4 years.

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
To answer the OP:

I hope so or this deal will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history and that's not hyperbole.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Yup, there is a lot of risk for Boston. We're trading away a pick and starting player we had under contract for 3 more years at a cheap rate. Not to mention the chance to resign Thomas as our PG for the next few years.

Still not a huge fan of this move because for it to work Kyrie has to evolve from being a one dimensional offensive player, but at least its finally done.

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
To answer the OP:

I hope so or this deal will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history and that's not hyperbole.
The only way this goes down as the worst trades in NBA history is if the pick becomes an MVP caliber player.

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
To answer the OP:

The only way this goes down as the worst trades in NBA history is if the pick becomes an MVP caliber player.

I think you underestimate the risk.

If Kyrie leaves after two years and we haven't won a title the deal is a massive bust no matter who is selected in the draft. It's not just the pick, it's also Zizic (who was valued as a late lottery pick at draft time), Crowder (one of the best contracts in the league) and breaking up the core of an ascending, 53 win, ECF team.  The only way that isn't true is if IT is done (and he's not).

It's also not just "the pick" but the value of the pick. There's a simple economic idea called opportunity cost. Even if the pick turns out to be a bust, there's also the question of who else could we have reasonably drafted with that pick or who we could have received in a trade for that pick. Thus Irving leaving means we gave away a good prospect, a top contract, an All-Star who wasn't yet 30 and a pick that could have returned any number of All-Star caliber players. That's an epic bust any way you slice it.

If it turns out to be #1, Bags ends up being the Next Great Thing and Irving leaves? Then this goes down as the worst trade in modern NBA history. Even worse than the Brooklyn deal that gave us those picks. It would be considered about as bad as the deal that ultimately ended up bringing Magic to the Lakers. 

I'm not saying that's what it will go down as. I hope that Irving develops into what we all hope he can become and the Nets pick ends up being 7th or 8th. Then we win. But Lordy there's a lot of risk in this one.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.