Author Topic: Yugoslavia Basketball 1990  (Read 7950 times)

Yugoslavia Basketball 1990
« on: December 25, 2016, 06:57:08 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Dražen Petrović, Vlade Divac, Toni Kukoč, Dino Rađa,

Talk about stacked.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Yugoslavia Basketball 1990
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 06:59:05 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Watching this 30/30 on ESPN

Never realized how stacked that team was.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 07:18:50 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
IF that team wasn't broken up because of the Yugoslavian civil war, could they have given the Dream Team a game?

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Wow, never realized that! Definitely a stacked international team, but as for giving the original Dream Team a tough matchup, I doubt it. That is 4 great players vs 12 great players, that US team was the most stacked ever, even if Yugoslavia could somehow keep up with their starters, the bench would get crushed.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 09:30:47 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Not exactly a defensive juggernaut, but those guys could sure abd create.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Toni K's team alone gave the Dream Team a respectable game.

Here's another one just for fun....The Lithuanian team came in 3rd...what if the Soviet Union had broken up in 1993 instead of 1991? Just to note the Unified Team's women won gold. The men's came in 4th. Add the Baltics to the rest of the SSR and it's hard to say how that turns out.

I suppose an objection is that this is like having the US compete against 15 different countries trying to gang up, but our population is more than double theirs. Right?

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Nice Team, but don't get carried away, Dream Team beats them by a LOT.

Merry Xmas!

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 11:29:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, that would have been a good team. But still no comparison to the Dream Team.

A better question would be, how good would Yugoslavia now if they were still a country. Dragic, Bogdanovic, Mirotic, Jokic, Nurkic. That would be a strong starting five.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 11:37:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In hindsight looking at the box scores the dream team beat Lithuania by 50ish and Croatia by 30ish and they used their entire team.

Still.

I guess you're not really trying to get a team that could beat the Dream Team. You're trying to find a team that could lose by less than 12, and I'm not sure that could happen.

Except for the college all stars that beat the Dream Team. I woulda liked to see how they woulda done in the Olympics. I think they coulda won. And those college all stars didn't even have Laetner. It also didn't have Shaq and they beat the Dream Team by 20.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
That Yugoslavia team wasn't just 4 players. Yes Drazen, Vlade, Toni, Dino were the stars but that team was deeper.  And i believ that in USA most people didn't knew all the players and how good they were. Probably dream team would still win but that would be a game to watch.

Zarko Paspalj - played for Spurs in 89, euroleuge finals mvp in 94

Zoran Savić- played for Barcelona and Real Madrid, 3 time euroleague champion, euroleague best scorer in 91, euroleague mvp in 98

Predrag Danilović - maybe the best SG in europe in the 90ties, 2 time euroleague champion, euroleague mvp 92, euroleague top scorer 95, player in nba for Heat and Mavs

Aleksandar Đorđević - part of top 50 players od all time in europe, played for Barcelona, Real Madrid, and in nba for Trail Blazers, 2 time bese european player

Velimir Perasović- 5 time best scorer in spanish league, 3 time euroleague champion

Radisav Ćurčić - played for Mavs in 92

Stojko Vranković - played in NBA 5 seasons for Celtics, Clipers and Wolves

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I guess you're not really trying to get a team that could beat the Dream Team. You're trying to find a team that could lose by less than 12, and I'm not sure that could happen.

That's it. That's pretty much what I meant. This Yugoslavia team could have possibly kept it under 20.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 02:11:33 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
That Yugoslavia team wasn't just 4 players. Yes Drazen, Vlade, Toni, Dino were the stars but that team was deeper.  And i believ that in USA most people didn't knew all the players and how good they were. Probably dream team would still win but that would be a game to watch.

Zoran Savić- played for Barcelona and Real Madrid, 3 time euroleague champion, euroleague best scorer in 91, euroleague mvp in 98

Predrag Danilović - maybe the best SG in europe in the 90ties, 2 time euroleague champion, euroleague mvp 92, euroleague top scorer 95, player in nba for Heat and Mavs

Aleksandar Đorđević - part of top 50 players od all time in europe, played for Barcelona, Real Madrid, and in nba for Trail Blazers, 2 time bese european player

Velimir Perasović- 5 time best scorer in spanish league, 3 time euroleague champion

Some good stuff here. How do you know all this information?

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Sasha was a really good shooter.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
IF that team wasn't broken up because of the Yugoslavian civil war, could they have given the Dream Team a game?
How many all star games between all of those players?  Not as many all out together as any individual dream teamer not named Laettner.

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
How many all star games between all of those players?  Not as many all out together as any individual dream teamer not named Laettner.

Okay... But that Yugoslavia team destroyed the USA team in 1990, a team that had Zo and Kenny Anderson. 2 players that individually had more all-star appearances than that entire Yugoslavia team combined. So that isn't a valid argument.

Like I said earlier in the thread, eja117 had it right. The discussion is more, "Could they have avoided being blown out" and I agree with that. Dream team obviously would have won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VbiIgXMDJo
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 02:58:07 PM by JSD »