Poll

Does anyone still think jeff green can become a decent player?

Yes
40 (60.6%)
No
26 (39.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Does anyone still think jeff green can become a decent player?  (Read 20951 times)

Re: Does anyone still think jeff green can become a decent player?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 04:07:08 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Just ask Paul Pierce who spells him while he rests.

Anyone who wants to trade Jeff Green had better have a decent replacement coming back - just not some scrub.

A decent backup 3 isn't terribly hard to find, if that's your priority.

At this point, Inwant no parts of Green's contract.

Well, let's list some decent backup SFs that are available who want to play for BOS, subbing behind Pierce...

Well want to is different than 'could be acquired'.

Off the top of my mind,

Chase Buddiger
Jared Dudley
Carlos Delfino
Grant Hill

All come to mind. Every one of those would give similar production or better than what Green is currently offering

Landry Fields is also an ideal candidate, but his contract is just so terrible.

Well, Grant Hill is perhaps done - he's been injured since the preseason.

I'd hate to be Paul Pierce if GH was his sub.

Delfino, while a good scorer, is not known for his defense or athleticism. We wouldn't have won vs OKC (or a few other teams) with Delfino (or Grant Hill, for that matter).

Chase Buddinger and perhaps Dudley intrigue me the most out of who you listed....if I had a choice, it would be Dudley.

But even with that, Jeff Green is maligned playing off the bench - which is his role. I'm certain that of he played with Rondo any significant amount of time, we'd stop wanting to get rid of him.

His contract seems to be an albatross around our necks, but just repost my comments here as soon as Paul Pierce gets dinged up a bit and we insert Uncle Jeff into the lineup:

Rondo
AB
Uncle Jeff
Bass
KG

I can live with that lineup for a bit. He'd need to become a better facilitator, but again I can live with that lineup - especially playing alongside Rondo.

Why do we think that Doc Rivers made his comments here recently - regarding a backup PG? As soon as Jet or whoever can become an effective backup PG, we'll REALLY start to see Jeff Green flourish.

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 04:09:19 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
And while I like Fields a lot, I still prefer Jeff Green.

Fields isn't stopping many people at all.

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 04:14:41 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 04:18:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Delfino is actually known for his defense, and hustle play. He's also one of those guys that the rockets cherish (going back to Battier), and would likely not let go without a decent return.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 04:19:07 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
He's a solid player - he's not a star player, but he's solid.

He's starting to play some really decent defense, his rebounding is steady improving, and his effort is looking much better.

He's just not scoring a million points because he's not getting the plays called for him, but he'll settle in fine.

Worth the contact no, but he's solid.

actually, he's pretty much the worst small forward in the whole nba this season.

click on this link, and go all the way to the bottom.  who do you think has the 3rd worst wins per 48 for ALL small forwards?:  http://www.thenbageek.com/players?direction=desc&positions%5B%5D=SF&sort=%22WP48%22

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 04:19:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
And while I like Fields a lot, I still prefer Jeff Green.

Fields isn't stopping many people at all.

Fields isn't a small forward. He is a big two guard. There is a big difference between the two of those positions. Fields gets pushed around too easily at the three position both as a defender and as a rebounder. He is an effective defender / rebounder when he has a size advantage over his opponent. Fields needs to remain at the SG position for that to happen.

Toronto should continue to start Pietrus at the small forward position. Pietrus is another big two rather than legit SF but Pietrus has got a lot more physical toughness and can defend the position better than Fields can.

Someone needs to get Fields out of Toronto and back playing at his natural position. It's a shame to see quality players like Fields wasted away by badly managed teams like Toronto.

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
no

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Hey, Green took a charge out there.  I'd been complaining all season that none of the roleplayers besides Collins and Sullinger try to take charges so it was good to see Green step up and take one.  I don't care as much what he does on offense.  Despite the Celtics' scoring struggles, they have enough other offensive weapons usually out there with Green that they don't need him to be a scorer.  I wish the Green that played the first half in the last game against Milwaukee was more of the norm, the one that caused havoc on defense with his size and speed and turned defense into offense. I'd just like to see more consistent overall energy, 

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Just ask Paul Pierce who spells him while he rests.

Anyone who wants to trade Jeff Green had better have a decent replacement coming back - just not some scrub.

The problem is you don't want a really decent player when Paul Pierce plays 35 minutes or around night in and night out. Name me a star SF being replaced by a really high-caliber player when he goes to the bench. I don't think LBJ, Durant, Carmelo, Gay, or someone that could go in that list has such a replacement.

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 07:09:22 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Jeff Green is already decent.  The problem is that he'll probably never be much more than that.

A lot of fans seem to have talked themselves into believing that Green will eventually become a star-level player, a capable replacement for Paul Pierce.  That's not happening.  Green will show flashes of brilliance, but I think he'll always be an inconsistent player.

I completely agree with this.  And that's what we signed up for.  Many on this blog don't seem to understand that in today's NBA, a decent yet inconsistent 6'10" combo SF/PF with a variety of skills costs $8-9M per year.  Just the way it is.

I mean...we did get him (plus Kristic plus a draft pick) for Kendrick Perkins.  If we got the next Pierce in that deal, it would have been the trade of the century.

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 07:22:19 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Jeff Green is already decent.  The problem is that he'll probably never be much more than that.

A lot of fans seem to have talked themselves into believing that Green will eventually become a star-level player, a capable replacement for Paul Pierce.  That's not happening.  Green will show flashes of brilliance, but I think he'll always be an inconsistent player.

I completely agree with this.  And that's what we signed up for.  Many on this blog don't seem to understand that in today's NBA, a decent yet inconsistent 6'10" combo SF/PF with a variety of skills costs $8-9M per year.  Just the way it is.

I mean...we did get him (plus Kristic plus a draft pick) for Kendrick Perkins.  If we got the next Pierce in that deal, it would have been the trade of the century.

Im wondering why we're ok with accepting terms like decent, inconsistent, average, etc.  Thats not what I sign a long term contract for.  The guy so far this year is a bust.  He plays hard when he wants to.  He stood around last night most of the time.  For as much heat that guys like Terry, Bass, Lee get, I'll say this much, at least they play with some agression.  When Green's out there on the court he needs to play like he wants Paul pIerces spot.  He plays like he doesnt care.  Play like you wanna be here and be the star, and maybe one day you will.

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

A decent, inconsistent player has to cost 8-9 million a year?  That's just the way the business of NBA basketball works?  And you've come to grips with this before most?

Sure there are inconsistent and decent players who got bad contracts that pay them as much as a Green but good teams try and not make that mistake.  A team doesn't have to sign one of those players to a bad contract.  It's not the cost of doing business. 

Here are the players making about as much as Green:

Biedrins: Bad deal due to heavy deterioration of abilities; not a bad deal at the time though

Nash:More than worth it.

Ryan Anderson: Worth it. And better than decent.

Shawn Marion: Worth it and better than decent

Millsap: Worth it and better than decent

Jameer Nelson: Not having the greatest of seasons thus far but I happen to think he's worth it and been a 8-9 million player or better in the past

Mo Williams: Worth it, solid point and better than decent anyway

Rodney Stuckey: Struggled and probably not worth it. More of a MLE player like Green.

Devin Harris: Not worth it now.

Jeremy Lin: Not worth it thus far, although better lately.

Omer Asik: Oh yes.

Anderson Varejao: Yes again

Thaddeus Young: Very solid player and what I wish Green could be like

Marvin Williams: Nope

Lamar Odom: Besides last season, well worth it

Villaneueva/Tyrus Thomas/John Salmons: No

So anyway, while there are some players making 8-9 million a year who are inconsistent and just decent, even at best, saying that is the norm is wrong.  For 8-9 million, many teams are getting their money's worth and more.  The quality of the players who get that amount are usually pretty good or better.  The badly run teams sign undeserving players to 8-9 million a year.  I wish the Celtics didn't number among them. 

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

A decent, inconsistent player has to cost 8-9 million a year?  That's just the way the business of NBA basketball works?  And you've come to grips with this before most?

Sure there are inconsistent and decent players who got bad contracts that pay them as much as a Green but good teams try and not make that mistake.  A team doesn't have to sign one of those players to a bad contract.  It's not the cost of doing business. 

Here are the players making about as much as Green:

Biedrins: Bad deal due to heavy deterioration of abilities; not a bad deal at the time though

Nash:More than worth it.

Ryan Anderson: Worth it. And better than decent.

Shawn Marion: Worth it and better than decent

Millsap: Worth it and better than decent

Jameer Nelson: Not having the greatest of seasons thus far but I happen to think he's worth it and been a 8-9 million player or better in the past

Mo Williams: Worth it, solid point and better than decent anyway

Rodney Stuckey: Struggled and probably not worth it. More of a MLE player like Green.

Devin Harris: Not worth it now.

Jeremy Lin: Not worth it thus far, although better lately.

Omer Asik: Oh yes.

Anderson Varejao: Yes again

Thaddeus Young: Very solid player and what I wish Green could be like

Marvin Williams: Nope

Lamar Odom: Besides last season, well worth it

Villaneueva/Tyrus Thomas/John Salmons: No

So anyway, while there are some players making 8-9 million a year who are inconsistent and just decent, even at best, saying that is the norm is wrong.  For 8-9 million, many teams are getting their money's worth and more.  The quality of the players who get that amount are usually pretty good or better.  The badly run teams sign undeserving players to 8-9 million a year.  I wish the Celtics didn't number among them.

Those are all your opinions on those players, and they are all in different scenarios than Green, who is stuck on the bench behind Pierce.  And you are simply pulling players paid in his range and comparing him to them.  WTH is the comp between Green and Steve Nash?

My point was Green has skills and talents that command that kind of money in the NBA.  People on this board seem to think that the Celtics just gave him his contract because he asked for it.  He was getting paid $9M BEFORE the heart surgery.  There are no doubt a number of teams out there that would pay Green the same amount. 

And you just compiled a list of decent-to-good NBA players, not All Stars. Exactly my point.

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My point was Green has skills and talents that command that kind of money in the NBA.  People on this board seem to think that the Celtics just gave him his contract because he asked for it.  He was getting paid $9M BEFORE the heart surgery.  There are no doubt a number of teams out there that would pay Green the same amount. 

He is also inconsistent.   This is why people do not like him.  I do not know if he can adapt to playing off the bench at this point it looks like a huge no.

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Love to see Jeff Green START a game , just to see what he would do.  DOc want even give him a chance.

I would like too see how Sully, Green, KG, AB, and Rondo would do STARTING a game for once.  Just as a test.