Author Topic: Gobert for Jaylen Brown  (Read 6568 times)

Re: Gobert for Jaylen Brown
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'm not trading Jaylen for a defense-only big man. Jaylen is too dynamic on both ends of the court for that. I am only trading Jaylen for a genuine superstar talent. Gobert is not that.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Jaylen's as much of a building block as Tatum.  Danny should be building around Tatum and Brown, not trading them for lesser pieces.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Just no... if he was olajwon o neal davis or giannis.. I would say yes.. not for Gobert...

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I would not trade Jaylen for Gobert, but I would deal Hayward and picks for Gobert. Word on the street is that Mitchell will never forgive Gobert for the COVID-19 thing and wants Gobert gone. If we were to deal Hayward anywhere, Utah is the only place that would be fair to deal him to. If Hayward was OK with it and so was Brad, absolutely we deal Hayward and our three 2020 first-round picks for Gobert (get Gobert on an extension, and I’d add 2022 and 2024 to the pile of picks). Then we get focused on convincing Gobert to stick with us beyond 2020-2021 as our number two guy to Tatum’s number one status, with Brown as our clearly third best player (may even surpass Gobert someday).

This would be essential to shutting down Giannis, Embiid and Anthony Davis, which would make it easier for Tatum/Brown to out  score Giannis/Middleton, Embiid/Simmons, and James/Davis.

Maybe we even somehow do it as Gordon declining his option and then doing a sign-and-trade with a long-term deal that perfectly matches Gobert’s salary this year (and maybe we get super lucky and Gobert agrees to an extension before the trade is finalized). This has the double-benefit of getting us below the luxury tax line, especially after dealing the three first-round picks. It would be nice to see Hayward secure long-term security and save face by going back to Utah to end his career. Hayward loved Utah and Gobert would love being as close as possible to his home country of France, so this could be THE deal that gets us to beat LA next year.

Stroke of genius for bringing up this trade idea. Let’s make it happen!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:38:28 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm not trading Jaylen for a defense-only big man. Jaylen is too dynamic on both ends of the court for that. I am only trading Jaylen for a genuine superstar talent. Gobert is not that.
Yeah, Jaylen would be suitable to be traded for some top-15 type player, which when everyone is healthy I do not view Gobert as.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 07:57:43 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Yeah, Jaylen would be suitable to be traded for some top-15 type player, which when everyone is healthy I do not view Gobert as.

I view Towns and Booker as top 15 players would you trade Brown for them?

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »

Offline SteveD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 1
Towns is definitely better than Jaylen Brown and would be more valuable to the Celtics.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2020, 08:12:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Towns = yes
Booker = probably but need to think it over so probably yes.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Towns = yes.

Booker = yes, if we could trade Kemba for someone like Holiday. Turning Brown and Kemba into Booker and Holiday would be a win IMO

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2020, 09:06:30 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Can’t see Phoenix trading Booker, but if we did it would be slightly more offense and a big drop in defense. I’d prefer Jaylen and see overall ceiling being potentially higher.

Obviously Brown for KAT is a no-brainer, but the TWolves would never do it unless KAT demanded out.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Towns = yes.

Booker = yes, if we could trade Kemba for someone like Holiday. Turning Brown and Kemba into Booker and Holiday would be a win IMO

Can't image trading Brown as he's actually the scorer/defender everyone imagined Hayward would be when he was signed.

Additionally, Brown has been the Celtics second most consistent performer in the playoffs for three years.

Meanwhile Hayward's playoff averages for the Celtics are 10 pts- 4 revs - 2 assists in big minutes with a ton of games missed.

The absolute worst thing the Celtics could do is trade Brown as a knee -jerk reaction to another Hayward playoff disappointment.

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:59 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
As much as I think that Gobert is a superstar, I don't think I'd trade Brown for him. Wings who can have All-Star impact with a 3&D skillset are incredibly rare and Brown will only be 24 next season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 09:56:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Towns = yes.

Can't image trading Brown as he's actually the scorer/defender everyone imagined Hayward would be when he was signed.

Additionally, Brown has been the Celtics second most consistent performer in the playoffs for three years.

Meanwhile Hayward's playoff averages for the Celtics are 10 pts- 4 revs - 2 assists in big minutes with a ton of games missed.

The absolute worst thing the Celtics could do is trade Brown as a knee -jerk reaction to another Hayward playoff disappointment.
Nice effort to derail the thread with yet another troll post about Hayward, very impressive.

Except this has nothing to do with Hayward, at all. Not sure how trading Brown for a better player, like KAT or Booker, is anything remotely resembling the "knee-jerk reaction" you're talking about.

If only there was some sort of reason, like, I dunno, injuries, that could explain Hayward's playoff performance. Gee, wouldn't that make it easier!

I get that you love to bash Hayward without any sort of rhyme nor reason, but you once again are trying to derail an unrelated thread with it, and your post shows your pretty routine disregard for any sort of context or analysis beyond a basic box score. It's embarrassing

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 10:10:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Towns is definitely better than Jaylen Brown and would be more valuable to the Celtics.

KAT is the next guy to really monitor going forward. I'm sure they really wanted AD but were unsuccessful, and really the next closest thing to an elite big man acquisition might be KAT. Yeah he has his flaws but besides him who else really? Giannis? Although other teams may be even more interested in him including Miami, and also there's the possibility he just stays put in Milwaukee. It's not like MIL is a bad team + I imagine they'll try to add help for Giannis this offseason.

If you could acquire KAT for Brown, Smart and like a handful of future picks, go ahead. I love Smart but he's definitely expendable at the right price, plus his contract is perfect for salary-matching purposes. I'd prefer not to trade Brown AND Smart in the same deal but Tatum IMO should be off-limits.

Or maybe you convince them to take Hayward but that's even assuming he's still here beyond 2021.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2020, 11:13:24 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
For Gobert, I’d keep the trip of wings and trade Smart for him if it came to it. Defensive star for defensive star.