Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87428 times)

Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« on: May 03, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
With this season being a success for Boston fans (it'll be a huge success if we get lucky and win the lottery), it is time for us to hope for their continued failure to ensure we get one of the great big man prospects in the 18 draft, which we sorely need. Imo the Nets will be dangerous if they manage to overpay for a few decent FAs so we'll have to track their transactions and hope that no half decent player looks at Brooklyn as a destination except for washed up guys like Noah and Deng as well as JLin and Lopez being traded away for peanuts. Hope we win the lottery this year and get a top 3 pick in the next!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Just waiting to see what scrub they overpay for. My money is on Otto Porter.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:10:12 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Porter is a scrub?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:14:01 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Porter is a scrub?

He's fine for now. 

Next year though, he'll be one of the most overpayed in the league.

Is he even better than Crowder? 

Looking forward to his new max deal crippling that organization for years to come...

Something about Wall and that teams whole vibe that really puts me off.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
There are two things I'll be interested to see if Porter goes to the Nets this offseason:

1.  I'm always uneasy about giving a big contract to a guy who is coming off of a career season.  Is he a young player who is improving and is on an upward trend?  Or is this a guy who went all out during a contract year and will revert back to his prior performance?  Option 3 is always somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

2.  Even if this is the "real" Otto Porter, he is benefitting greatly from being on the court with Wall and Beal.  He is at best the 3rd option for that team, and depending upon matchups, sometimes he is their 4th option at the offensive end behind Morris.  If he goes to the Nets he will be the first or second option, working with Lopez.  More importantly, he will be the #1 perimeter option. 

Right now he draws the opponents' worst perimeter defender.  In Brooklyn he will draw the opponents' top perimeter defender.  That is a world of difference.  And if he isn't actually good enough to draw the top perimeter defender away from Jeremy Lin, then he isn't good enough to make a measurable difference in the Nets results.

I'm of the opinion that this team is going to be bottom 5 again next year, regardless of any changes they make.  That roster is so terrible that the players who may be willing to go there aren't going to be good enough to lead them into the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
DeAndre Ayton lets gooooo!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
So are the Nets going to just sit Rondae Hollis-Jefferson if they get Porter?  RHJ is like their best player in +/-

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
LU....KA, LU......KA,LU.....KA, LU....KA,LU.....KA,LU.....KA,LU.....KA

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I m with you csfansince60s.... But eventually we need to draft a pf/c. Already too many pg/sg/sfs

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
So are the Nets going to just sit Rondae Hollis-Jefferson if they get Porter?  RHJ is like their best player in +/-

We've still got our own pick. Why not tank next season and hope that we get #1 and #2?

;)

Mike

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Is there any inside tracking to link Otto Porter with the Nets? I think the Wizards will try to keep their core together after their moderate success this season (hopefully, reaching conference semifinals and losing in four games  ;D)

I think they'll get fine free agents, but not Porter's level. I also hope they trade Brook Lopez for a first and go full youth movement.

EDIT: About Doncic, he is wonderful and has a tremendous upside, but we need some bigs and not wings (for now, if we get Millsap or Griffin maybe it changes)

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:08 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Is there any inside tracking to link Otto Porter with the Nets? I think the Wizards will try to keep their core together after their moderate success this season (hopefully, reaching conference semifinals and losing in four games  ;D)

I think they'll get fine free agents, but not Porter's level. I also hope they trade Brook Lopez for a first and go full youth movement.

EDIT: About Doncic, he is wonderful and has a tremendous upside, but we need some bigs and not wings (for now, if we get Millsap or Griffin maybe it changes)
We should always draft BPA...especially at the top of the draft. Though IMO next years draft will have good bigs. I use to love Ayton but he has not progressed since his sophmore year. He use to remind me of a players with the length and athleticism that also possessed the skills of a Karl Towns(But longer and bigger) but he has not improved on his game the way that Towns and Turner and other good big's did. Ayton is going to Arizona and hopefully they work with him on polishing his game.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Porter is a scrub?

I guess not, but if you pay a B- player Max money your team is going to be horrible.

See Harrison Barnes.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

We've still got our own pick. Why not tank next season and hope that we get #1 and #2?

;)

Mike
If we get the first pick then it may be best for the team to move on from IT/AB/Smart/Crowder....especially if Jaylen Brown continues to improve and gets to another level in his game. I know you probably were not serious but a lot of people are afraid that we IT and/or AB will either walk after next season or we will have to give the max to IT when he is 29 and obviously already had defensive issues(especially in a 7 game playoff series) and there is the long list of pg's that fade out when they get older and lose athleticism. I wouldn't give them away for nothing or for the sake of tanking though.
If DA thinks Fultz is going to be a star player @pg and if Jaylen is ready to take over, well I'd think this summer would be the best time to get some value back on IT/AB/Crowder.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

;)

Mike
If we get the first pick then it may be best for the team to move on from IT/AB/Smart/Crowder....especially if Jaylen Brown continues to improve and gets to another level in his game. I know you probably were not serious but a lot of people are afraid that we IT and/or AB will either walk after next season or we will have to give the max to IT when he is 29 and obviously already had defensive issues(especially in a 7 game playoff series) and there is the long list of pg's that fade out when they get older and lose athleticism. I wouldn't give them away for nothing or for the sake of tanking though.
If DA thinks Fultz is going to be a star player @pg and if Jaylen is ready to take over, well I'd think this summer would be the best time to get some value back on IT/AB/Crowder.

It's possible (even likely) we trade AB and eventually sign IT to a 4 yr max (instead of 5 yrs), but there is just no way we move on from IT without getting a top 10 player back in return. For better or worse, he is the face of our franchise moving forward so just sit back and enjoy the ride. He is certainly a joy to watch!

As for BKN, I can't imagine things change too much for them. Breaking out of the bottom 5, recordwise, would be an incredible accomplishment which I don't see happening.