Author Topic: Celtics (21-14) at Spurs (20-17) Game #36 12/31/18  (Read 25498 times)

Re: Celtics (21-14) at Spurs (20-17) Game #36 12/31/18
« Reply #390 on: December 31, 2018, 11:07:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Hayward is not worth the vet min .  much less a max contract .

his intensity and effort sucked .....thats the bottom line ".....i can excuse the shooting .....max player with his fingr in his rear is not acceptable .

I would chew his tail off if i was DA .....he can pack his bags if thats all he can bring
I agree. He is worthless to this team and I believe the main cause of its disfuntion.  He gives us nothing.  Except a large bill to pay.  No toughness, no shooting, no defense, no hustle, nothing but a bill to pay.  DA got robbed on this deal.  Worse signing ever, so far.  Let’s see what happens next.

Are you serious? Did you miss his injury? Trolling?

« Reply #391 on: December 31, 2018, 11:30:27 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Sick and tired of these same people. Last game Hayward played well they gang up on Brown. Now they cant blame Brown anymore they are back to their Hayward bashing. As if he wanted to get injured and not play up to his contract.  ::) Maybe you'd like to get your leg broken like that and hear people telling you that you are useless as you are just trying to get back?! Heck Derrick Rose was injured all the time in Chi and their fans generally remain supportive!

You guys make me sick! No bigtime FA should sign here because god forbid you get a potential career ending injury, these so-called fans won't support you as you recover, they will toss you aside right away.

Celtics "Fans" are really entitled like they said. Really, really entitled.

Why do people keep saying this is some Celtics fan phenomena? It's not. I've seen plenty of fans of other teams trashing their players after losses lol.

I guess you’d rather have passionate fans than apathetic fans (like Redskins fans, so beaten down they don’t care anymore).

The negativity seems excessive for where the team is though. Maybe everyone’s expectations were elevated because of last year so anytime we’re not thrashing teams by 20 or winning every game we’re an epic failure.

I’ve been watching the Celtics since I was a little kid in 1985 and I’ve seen many, many Celtics teams worse than this. This team is talented but inconsistent, they play well for stretches then they switch off and at this level any team can punish you for switching off. They also seem to be an insecure team - soon as they have a few bad offensive possessions they slip defensively. Much of that comes with youth. They just need to build that consistency because the quality is there, we’ve all seen it in patches. It really comes down to their collective mental approach.

Now it may be that after the end of this year it will become obvious that the team just can’t gel together. If and when that happens I’m sure moves will be made. Danny doesn’t sit still if things aren’t working but neither will he overreact and make a panic trade just because everyone is slitting their wrists. He will make sure we get the most for the assets we have and if that means waiting then so be it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #392 on: January 01, 2019, 12:01:49 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Sick and tired of these same people. Last game Hayward played well they gang up on Brown. Now they cant blame Brown anymore they are back to their Hayward bashing. As if he wanted to get injured and not play up to his contract.  ::) Maybe you'd like to get your leg broken like that and hear people telling you that you are useless as you are just trying to get back?! Heck Derrick Rose was injured all the time in Chi and their fans generally remain supportive!

You guys make me sick! No bigtime FA should sign here because god forbid you get a potential career ending injury, these so-called fans won't support you as you recover, they will toss you aside right away.

Why do people keep saying this is some Celtics fan phenomena? It's not. I've seen plenty of fans of other teams trashing their players after losses lol.

I guess you’d rather have passionate fans than apathetic fans (like Redskins fans, so beaten down they don’t care anymore).

The negativity seems excessive for where the team is though. Maybe everyone’s expectations were elevated because of last year so anytime we’re not thrashing teams by 20 or winning every game we’re an epic failure.

I’ve been watching the Celtics since I was a little kid in 1985 and I’ve seen many, many Celtics teams worse than this. This team is talented but inconsistent, they play well for stretches then they switch off and at this level any team can punish you for switching off. They also seem to be an insecure team - soon as they have a few bad offensive possessions they slip defensively. Much of that comes with youth. They just need to build that consistency because the quality is there, we’ve all seen it in patches. It really comes down to their collective mental approach.

Now it may be that after the end of this year it will become obvious that the team just can’t gel together. If and when that happens I’m sure moves will be made. Danny doesn’t sit still if things aren’t working but neither will he overreact and make a panic trade just because everyone is slitting their wrists. He will make sure we get the most for the assets we have and if that means waiting then so be it.

TP - I'm not sure what is wrong, but as I stated earlier, I don't think we are a team of selfish players who hate each other - but obviously, something with this group as constructed is not meshing the right way.  Definitely have to give Hayward a full year to recover - that injury was far too gruesome and too much time was lost to expect him back at 100% right now. Where was Paul George his first year back ? I do think there is an effort problem in one area - being defense - the commitment and hard work is not at last year's level.

I do think Danny Boy has to look at Stevens after the season. He has never coached superior talent - college or pro. He takes hard working underdogs and overachieves with them. Coaching the team that has more talent (and fell a little in love with themselves during the summer) I would think takes additional coaching skills. Maybe Stevens can learn those, but I've always wondered if he had the personality to chew NBA-level ass. If there was someway to make it happen, it would be great if Stevens could spend some extended time talking with a guy like Popovich about these issues, though it still would not guarantee Stevens could change his basic nature.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 12:19:56 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #393 on: January 01, 2019, 12:16:11 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

look the bottom line many here obviously do not want to accept is as we have said here many times in this thread is it does NOT appear this team plays smart offensively consistently. 3 years worth of games have told us this. is that enough empirical evidence? or do we need more? ya know the old inside versus outside game argument? when to adjust? is the team listening to brad? is he demanding them to do things they are not? we have NBA pros backing our points up!! Did anybody here listen to the comments from those ex pros on our game? They may suck at commentating but their analysis was spot on. It echoed what many here including myself say. 

I am a realist and not a blind sunshine pumper. I call a spade a spade. I look at performances not just scores. the devil is in the details. we have issues. The head coach is ultimately responsible regardless how anyone here wants to spin it. I have been watching this team longer than you (not a bash at you btw) just stating a fact. things need to get fixed soon.  regardless how this season turns out saying we have not seen the same issues the last three years is complete DENIAL. 
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #394 on: January 01, 2019, 04:43:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

look the bottom line many here obviously do not want to accept is as we have said here many times in this thread is it does NOT appear this team plays smart offensively consistently. 3 years worth of games have told us this. is that enough empirical evidence? or do we need more? ya know the old inside versus outside game argument? when to adjust? is the team listening to brad? is he demanding them to do things they are not? we have NBA pros backing our points up!! Did anybody here listen to the comments from those ex pros on our game? They may suck at commentating but their analysis was spot on. It echoed what many here including myself say. 

I am a realist and not a blind sunshine pumper. I call a spade a spade. I look at performances not just scores. the devil is in the details. we have issues. The head coach is ultimately responsible regardless how anyone here wants to spin it. I have been watching this team longer than you (not a bash at you btw) just stating a fact. things need to get fixed soon.  regardless how this season turns out saying we have not seen the same issues the last three years is complete DENIAL.

Don't disagree with much of what you said BGL. Obviously Brad has command responsibility the buck ultimately stops with him when it comes to making sure that the team is synthesized efficiently and that the parts are working in concert, or to develop schemes to maximize their strengths. To me he's the No1 person who should be looked at in an end of season review. Danny is also responsible for making sure Brad has access to the right players to succeed. The players are responsible for executing on the court and putting in 100% effort.

My point was not that everyone should be a sunshine pumper. Certainly things are far from perfect and we should expect more from the team. Just that the negativity seemed excessive for the performance of the team on balance over the year. I'm only speaking from my perspective, other people probably take these disappointing losses much harder. But IMHO they are 21-15 which is an ordinary result given the expectations everyone had and given their talent we want them to do better but I don't think they're an unmitigated disaster by any means. Don't know what any of those pros said as I had the pleasure of listening to Mike and Scal, but personally I reset my expectations downwards for this team after the first month of the season so while what is happening now is upsetting it doesn't really surprise me. Other than Kyrie, Morris and Smart I don't think anyone is comfortable with their role, or when to shoot, when to pass, and what sets to run for who. As a result you have results where one night someone shines and everyone else looks bad, the next night it's someone else's turn and someone else wears the dunce hat.

There's too many of them who could play starring roles and I figured it was going to take a much longer time for those players to adjust once it became obvious there wasn't enough shots and points to go around for everyone to get the stat lines they want/feel they deserve. Especially the younger guys they're trying to make names for themselves as well. They may not figure it out all year and some of them may have to be shipped out to consolidate things. Either they will figure it out or they won't and changes will have to be made and I have no doubt that Danny will make them if needed. He just won't make them to please us. Eg. he will probably keep some of those assets to make a run at AD even if it costs us this year. Or with Hayward, gotta get some value for him before shipping him out.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:49:15 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #395 on: January 01, 2019, 07:15:01 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
That third qtr was brutal to watch..
The Spurs literally toyed with us.. Cant beat a team that shoots 100%from three there.

The worst part was we settled for jump shot after jumpshot.. Clang after clang and it just became unbearable..

« Reply #396 on: January 01, 2019, 10:44:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Horrible loss, tried to come back but we dig too many holes and can't get ahead of a team and hold our foot to their throat and crush them.   Always trying to come back in the fourth is ridiculous.   We need guys who play 48 minutes.

Is CBS only good at coaching underdogs?

« Reply #397 on: January 01, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Irving has 2 scratched eyeballs I wonder if he will be able to play against Min.

Good question. He is taking antibiotic to prevent infection. Minor corneal abrasions take about 3 days to heal but if more then minor, it will take longer. You dont take chances with it until healed as it could get severe and lead to vision blurring for life so I am guessing he is out for a few games. If he is a contacts wearer he cannot use them until healed.

« Reply #398 on: January 01, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Irving has 2 scratched eyeballs I wonder if he will be able to play against Min.

Good question. He is taking antibiotic to prevent infection. Minor corneal abrasions take about 3 days to heal but if more then minor, it will take longer. You dont take chances with it until healed as it could get severe and lead to vision blurring for life so I am guessing he is out for a few games. If he is a contacts wearer he cannot use them until healed.

Bellinelli deserves a broken nose when the Spurs come to Boston in March. His elbow to Kyrie looked pretty intentional. If this causes Kyrie to miss time, that's really going to suck.

« Reply #399 on: January 01, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Spurs are a decent team. It's always interesting when we play decent teams. The last two real "decent" teams we beat were:

- Philly on 12/25 - Kyrie goes off for 40+ and we win in overtime

- Toronto 11/16 - Kyrie goes off for 40+ and we win in overtime

Beyond that, it's been a lot of teams hovering at or below .500. Spurs are at least a team I respect and a win over them would be encouraging.

Not counting Charlotte as a decent team?
Or Memphis. I would count Memphis as a decent team.
Nah to both.  They are a couple .500 squads.  Spurs are a team I actually respect.  And we saw again last night, we are a 1-star team that needs Kyrie to carry us right now.

« Reply #400 on: January 01, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Memphis is prone to giving up leads late with awful offense... look at the two SAC games they lost.