Author Topic: Problems with the Forum?  (Read 16567 times)

Re: Problems with the Forum?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Thanks for the props folks but the fact is, I didn't do anything to fix this issue. By the time I found out it was occurring it seemed to have disappeared. That concerns me as much as the problem itself. We've encountered the same issue in the past on a few occasions. In those instances the issue was created because someone pasted code from another website, or some other garbage code, into an article or module that was published to the frontpage.

The problem came from code snippets contained in those pasted content items that were looking for HTML, CSS, Javascript and/or PHP files they couldn't find -- because what they were looking for was located on their original servers and not here, or because the code just stunk. This will absolutely stop Microsoft browsers in their tracks. For you guys, my recommendation on that is the same as Roy's, if you use IE, get something else and preferably Firefox. You won't have these problems.

On this side of things, I randomly checked three articles published in the last 48 hours and found that all three had garbage code in them introduced by their authors. I won't mention any names except that they're not Steve or FLCeltsFan. My suspicion is that someone posted something that wrecked the place, didn't realize it for awhile, then unpublished the thing when they did -- and didn't mention a thing about it to anyone. That's the way authors are you know. They're sneaky.

I preach [slams right knife hand into left open palm], and preach [slams right knife hand into left open palm again], and preach [slams right knife hand into left open palm yet a third time]. All it accomplishes is that authors behave themselves for about a week before they revert back to their true natures. It's like trying to herd cats. There are, like the aforementioned, pristine exceptions of course but otherwise, what's a poor webmaster to do?

Anyway, I'm sure the culprit is skulking around somewhere fully aware of his sin. We'll let it go this time as a warning. In the future though, if this happens again, any of you who are robbed of access here make lots of notes about it -- everything you can think of. Those of you who still has access when that takes place, make notes on what went down and when, who wrote/published what article on the frontpage of the site. Together we'll hunt down that criminal and drag him from the seedy bowels of this place into good old-fashioned light of CelticsBlog justice.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
minor issue.

When reading the forum or mailbox, the lines separating posts as well as he gray tint of every other post disappears from time to time the last 2 days. 

Using Firefox version 3.

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 05:55:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
minor issue.

When reading the forum or mailbox, the lines separating posts as well as he gray tint of every other post disappears from time to time the last 2 days. 

Using Firefox version 3.

Yes,  same here.   I had gotten that previously, but only during times of exceptionally high server load.  Now, it's much more frequently.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
minor issue.

Using Firefox version 3.

Yes,  same here.   I had gotten that previously, but only during times of exceptionally high server load.  Now, it's much more frequently.

Could be the high load with the draft.  A lot of refreshing to see who got picked.  A lot of PMs.