Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 12884 times)

chicagoceltic and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 11:26:37 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Does there seem to be a consensus about who the first nine players that will be drafted are?

In some order:  Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, Harrison, Odunze, Nabers, Alt, Turner

The presumption seems to be that one of Minnesota, Denver or Vegas will trade up into the top nine for McCarthy.

Do others agree?

I understand that those seem to be the top 9 people are coalescing around, but I find it very difficult to believe that when draft day rolls around, 7 of the first 9 picks will be QBs and WRs, and 8 of the top 9 coming on offense.

I also think McCarthy goes in the top 3, and one of Maye or Daniels slides down to QB4.

From a historic perspective you're right about the oddity of such much offensive focus, but is there a defender worthy of being picked in the top-9 outside of Turner?

The only other guy I feel really good about from a skill perspective is Latu.  The guy is a beast.  But, he's also had severe neck issues in the past.

But yeah, I guess the smart money would be that somebody unexpected gets picked, just because these things never go according to chalk.

I could see Mitchell cracking the top 9, because teams are always after a CB1.  Perhaps Jared Verse from Florida State could jump up there as well, given the value of Edges.

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 01:02:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My top-9 mock, based on nothing but other mocks and needs:

1.  CHI - Caleb Williams
2.  WAS - Drake Maye
3.  NE - Jayden Daniels
4.  ARI - Marvin Harrison
5.  SD - Joe Alt
6.  NYG - Malik Nabers
7.  TEN - Romeo Odunze
8.  ATL (trade with MIN):  J.J. McCarthy
9.  CHI - Dallas Turner

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 01:11:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

1.  CHI - Caleb Williams
2.  WAS - Drake Maye
3.  NE - Jayden Daniels
5.  SD - Joe Alt
6.  NYG - Malik Nabers
7.  TEN - Romeo Odunze
9.  CHI - Dallas Turner

I wonder how much smoke there is to this "McCarthy in the top 3" gossip that is going around.  I'd expect Maye to be the one to slide if that's the case.   I do think we'll see a traded or two.  I would suspect MIN trying like hell to get into the top 3-5 and possibly LAC trading down

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2024, 01:24:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

1.  CHI - Caleb Williams
2.  WAS - Drake Maye
3.  NE - Jayden Daniels
5.  SD - Joe Alt
6.  NYG - Malik Nabers
7.  TEN - Romeo Odunze
9.  CHI - Dallas Turner

I wonder how much smoke there is to this "McCarthy in the top 3" gossip that is going around.  I'd expect Maye to be the one to slide if that's the case.   I do think we'll see a traded or two.  I would suspect MIN trying like hell to get into the top 3-5 and possibly LAC trading down

Yeah, there's a ton of misinformation out there every year.  Remember the 49ers were going to take Mac Jones?  Will Levis was being talked about as a top-10 pick?

I've got nothing to go on with Maye being top-2, other than that he was presumed to be the #2 pick for most of the year and he didn't have a bad season.  That said, the Bears' GM (Ryan Poles) didn't attend his pro day, so it looks like CHI sees him as well behind Williams.  Poles did attend LSU's (although that could have been for Nabers) and Michigan's.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 03:56:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

1.  CHI - Caleb Williams
2.  WAS - Drake Maye
3.  NE - Jayden Daniels
5.  SD - Joe Alt
6.  NYG - Malik Nabers
7.  TEN - Romeo Odunze
9.  CHI - Dallas Turner

Yeah, there's a ton of misinformation out there every year.  Remember the 49ers were going to take Mac Jones?  Will Levis was being talked about as a top-10 pick?

I've got nothing to go on with Maye being top-2, other than that he was presumed to be the #2 pick for most of the year and he didn't have a bad season.  That said, the Bears' GM (Ryan Poles) didn't attend his pro day, so it looks like CHI sees him as well behind Williams.  Poles did attend LSU's (although that could have been for Nabers) and Michigan's.
Chicago is taking Williams. Poles was at others for 9 or their later picks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2024, 11:32:50 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I've heard nothing but bad things regarding Drake Maye's pro day. Is it possible, it was done on purpose? Washington and New England are disasters right now. I don't care what anyone says, the Patriots did Mac Jones dirty, so I certainly wouldn't want to follow that. Is Maye trying to avoid both of these teams?

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 12:19:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
A player never intentionally tanks a pro day.  An interview, maybe, but not a pro day.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2024, 01:08:59 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
A player never intentionally tanks a pro day.  An interview, maybe, but not a pro day.

What if he has a promise from Minnesota? Would you rather be picked #2  or 3 and go to Washington or New England? Or get picked at #11 and go to a team with elite receivers? To me, it's a no brainer, especially since the first two teams may ruin him before his first contract expires.

I'll admit, I love a good conspiracy theory. To me, something doesn't add up. How does a guy perform that poorly on a day that is designed to make you look your best? The guy was throwing to players that weren't covered, and struggled to do that?  Maye was the concensus #2 pick all during the college season, and suddenly struggles in a pro day? Has anyone ever chocked during a pro day?

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2024, 06:54:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Has anyone ever chocked during a pro day?

Jalen Carter last year.

Where are you hearing he was horrible? 

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2024, 07:14:47 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
It's funny, I have seen people say they were mildly disappointed by Maye's pro day, and some said it was unbelievable. I saw there was a clip of the Commander's brass being blown away by a few of his throws.

"It's a really good performance," NFL Network's Bucky Brooks said afterward on NFL+. "I know it's not perfect and pro day performances, as much as we want them to be perfect, I actually am more encouraged by the misses and the corrections after the misses than anything. The talent is there. He is the prototype."

I will be over the moon if Maye fell to us at 3. I am in the camp that whoever we take should come along slowly (our team has HUGE holes for a young QBs development.)

I want a toolsy young QB who has produced for 2 years. Take a swing if he's there.
#JKJB

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2024, 07:44:14 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I've heard nothing but bad things regarding Drake Maye's pro day. Is it possible, it was done on purpose? Washington and New England are disasters right now. I don't care what anyone says, the Patriots did Mac Jones dirty, so I certainly wouldn't want to follow that. Is Maye trying to avoid both of these teams?

Do you have any links or evidence? I watched all of his throws, and have heard glowing reports from Drake Maye's pro day. I think he has a good chance of going #2 to Washington.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2024, 07:49:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's funny, I have seen people say they were mildly disappointed by Maye's pro day, and some said it was unbelievable. I saw there was a clip of the Commander's brass being blown away by a few of his throws.

"It's a really good performance," NFL Network's Bucky Brooks said afterward on NFL+. "I know it's not perfect and pro day performances, as much as we want them to be perfect, I actually am more encouraged by the misses and the corrections after the misses than anything. The talent is there. He is the prototype."

I will be over the moon if Maye fell to us at 3. I am in the camp that whoever we take should come along slowly (our team has HUGE holes for a young QBs development.)

I want a toolsy young QB who has produced for 2 years. Take a swing if he's there.

I didn't watch, but what I read was that he came out a little off target.  He then huddled with his wide receivers and was excellent -- even dazzling -- after that.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2024, 09:56:37 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I didn't watch, but what I read was that he came out a little off target.  He then huddled with his wide receivers and was excellent -- even dazzling -- after that.
And that is kind of what I feel like he is as a prospect right now. Cannon of an arm that CAN throw any NFL pass. Needs to reel it in and make the layups more often.
Package that into a prototype body, and give the "leader of men" personality trait and I am all in.
#JKJB

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2024, 08:12:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Here's the AP's final mock:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-mock-nfl-draft-3-231605073.html

Like all mocks it's meaningless, but would Pats fans be happy?

3.  Traded to Minnesota along with 2025 3rd and 2025 6th for #11, #23, 2025 #1

8.  Patriots trade #11, #34 for #8, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder.  Select J.J. McCarthy

23.  Adonai Mitchell

In summary:

Out:  #3, #34, 2025 3rd, 2025 6th

In:  J.J. McCarthy, Adonai Mitchell, 2024 3rd, 2024 5th, 2025 1st

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2024, 09:50:47 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Here's the AP's final mock:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-mock-nfl-draft-3-231605073.html

Like all mocks it's meaningless, but would Pats fans be happy?

3.  Traded to Minnesota along with 2025 3rd and 2025 6th for #11, #23, 2025 #1

8.  Patriots trade #11, #34 for #8, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder.  Select J.J. McCarthy

23.  Adonai Mitchell

In summary:

Out:  #3, #34, 2025 3rd, 2025 6th

In:  J.J. McCarthy, Adonai Mitchell, 2024 3rd, 2024 5th, 2025 1st

I think I'd rather get an OT in the first than a WR but the Minni trade looks good

I don't know that I'd do the other trade to draft McCarthy, though
I'm bitter.