Author Topic: Comparing Bender to another 2016 Draft Prospect  (Read 10526 times)

Re: Comparing Bender to another 2016 Draft Prospect
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 07:12:46 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
The huge difference is that Labissiere probably isn't going to get picked until after #10 (according to Draftexpress and NBADraft). Personally, I would be alright with picking a project that "late" in the draft, but if I'm picking top 3-5 then I would like a player who could come in and contribute right away (or maybe a more complete player than Bender) rather than rolling a dice on a player, who might end up being a big flop.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 07:53:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
To me, when it comes to Skal, Maker and Bender, they all seem to be the same player. Yes, we as fans have limited information regarding these players when compared to the Celtics brain trust but all three players are built similar and attempt to play the same game. If the Celtics have to use all their picks, and I doubt they will, sure its worth choosing one of these guys. Choosing more than one hoping one pans out would be a huge mistake. You dont waste roster spots like that. Choose the one that has the highest upside as compared to their value based on where they might be available and take one of them.

Me. I saw a lot of Skal and he appears softer than a baby's butt. I dont know enough about the other two to make an informed decision and comparing their stats and where they played is a useless endeavor. Video I have seen on both is unconvincing to me that either are deserving of much attention, but Ainge and company know better than I.

They're all young and raw and rather similar. I dont think Bender is the third best prospect in this draft. I think that is Dunn but he doesnt appeared headed to Boston. So if the Celtics dont take Bender at 3, take Skal at 16 if available and if not take someone else and then look to see if you can get Maker later on in the draft.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To me, when it comes to Skal, Maker and Bender, they all seem to be the same player.

Skal and Maker are better athletes.  Thon is a considerable better athlete.   I think all three of them have high bust potential.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Bender's situation is like Giannis' situation from a  few years ago. Physical specimen. Young. Relatively unknown from obscure European league. Except in this case, Bender is way more advanced than where Giannis was at that stage in his career. They are gonna have to trust their scouting department. Just because Bender is a project doesn't mean they shouldn't take him because this team needs ready now players. He could be the best player in the draft if developed properly.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bender's situation is like Giannis' situation from a  few years ago. Physical specimen. Young. Relatively unknown from obscure European league. Except in this case, Bender is way more advanced than where Giannis was at that stage in his career. They are gonna have to trust their scouting department. Just because Bender is a project doesn't mean they shouldn't take him because this team needs ready now players. He could be the best player in the draft if developed properly.
Bender, a physical specimen? I've heard it all now.

Have we now started referring to 7-footers who can walk and chew gum as "physical specimens"?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 10:40:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
To me, when it comes to Skal, Maker and Bender, they all seem to be the same player.

Skal and Maker are better athletes.  Thon is a considerable better athlete.   I think all three of them have high bust potential.
Correct. And only one of them is relentlessly shoehorned into the 3rd draft spot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zhou qi and maker

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bender can't be compared to Maker or Skal. The latter two are guys with physical upside but very low IQ for the game
Bender has a high IQ but less physical upside. I don't see the bust in Bender. Assuming his body fills out there isn't anything that says he won't develop into a competent player. I can understand him not turning into a star and therefore being a let down at 3. But the man isn't going to be the next Kwame Brown or anything. His fundamentals are as sound as anyone in the draft

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If we wait 3 years for bender to develop we will lose our current teams momentum. He'd have to be dirk nowinski to justify that and that's impossible to tell. He's just not worth the risk.

That's the best reason I've heard for not picking Bender.

Who would you take?
This is actually the worst reason I hear for not picking bender.  This is the talent acquisition business. Waiting longer for talent is no reason at all not to draft a player.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 11:40:03 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Correct. And only one of them is relentlessly shoehorned into the 3rd draft spot.
Beacuse that one is significantly more talented basketball player.  People need to stop referencing these measurables as if they mean a whole lot.  Bender much more potential that those other guys.  Maker is particular is garbage. 

That's not to say that bender wouldn't be a huge risk.  He is because you're projecting.  And I probably wouldn't take him there either.  But I consider him, while maker and skal I would not.

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Danny was purposely low key in describing Bender than he was in talking about Brown the other day. He either was conveying his actual feelings about them or was down-playing Bender so that the Lakers don't look at him more closely. We won't know until draft night.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Bender is going to be a huge bust.

He averaged 4.5 points and 2.6 rebounds in Israel.

You do not know that.   No ones does.   /kids young... I would have to pic him at 23 if he lasts that long.....  and any other GM wouldn't let him slip past pick 20. 

He has proven nothing.

No way you pick him at number 3.

Maybe 2nd round as a draft and stash.
Diggles

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 07:04:26 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Porzingis had worse stats at the same age.  So that really doesn't tell us much.  The scouts tell us that Bender is more advanced than Porzingis at the same age.  Bender is also more advanced than Skal Labissiere at the same age.  Bender is the youngest top 5 prospect in the entire draft.

DOB
Ben Simmons 7/20/1996 (19)
Ingram 09/02/1997 (18)
Dunn 03/18/1994 (22)
Murray 02/23/1997 (19)
Bender 11/17/1997 (18)

PS Is it really shocking that a men's professional basketball league wouldn't give a lot of minutes to a not yet fully developed 17 year old, even if that kid has buckets full of talent?

Bender is going to be a huge bust.

He averaged 4.5 points and 2.6 rebounds in Israel.

You do not know that.   No ones does.   /kids young... I would have to pic him at 23 if he lasts that long.....  and any other GM wouldn't let him slip past pick 20. 

He has proven nothing.

No way you pick him at number 3.

Maybe 2nd round as a draft and stash.

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 03:55:45 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
To me, when it comes to Skal, Maker and Bender, they all seem to be the same player. Yes, we as fans have limited information regarding these players when compared to the Celtics brain trust but all three players are built similar and attempt to play the same game. If the Celtics have to use all their picks, and I doubt they will, sure its worth choosing one of these guys. Choosing more than one hoping one pans out would be a huge mistake. You dont waste roster spots like that. Choose the one that has the highest upside as compared to their value based on where they might be available and take one of them.

Me. I saw a lot of Skal and he appears softer than a baby's butt. I dont know enough about the other two to make an informed decision and comparing their stats and where they played is a useless endeavor. Video I have seen on both is unconvincing to me that either are deserving of much attention, but Ainge and company know better than I.

They're all young and raw and rather similar. I dont think Bender is the third best prospect in this draft. I think that is Dunn but he doesnt appeared headed to Boston. So if the Celtics dont take Bender at 3, take Skal at 16 if available and if not take someone else and then look to see if you can get Maker later on in the draft.

Ahahaha TP for the laugh ;D.

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 05:27:31 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Giannis`s body even at at 17 was so unique that there wasn`t anything similar in the NBA.... Bender is an agile 7ft tall player... Nothing unique there....

BTW the scouting departments have failed to correctly evaluate European talent time after time. You don`t pick a player who hasn`t done anything the last two years with the 3rd pick.

Judging by your nickname  i think you can compare Bender to Charalampopoulos. Leaving aside the hype who has shown more till today ? I`m not saying that Charalampopoulos is a top 3 pick but at least you can seen him actually play and be productive playing for the 1st team and really dominate the FIBA youth tournaments.