Author Topic: Thon Maker NBA Draft Combine analysis  (Read 10575 times)

Thon Maker NBA Draft Combine analysis
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:21:01 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
THON Maker is still somewhat of an unknown to NBA executives, so his measurements at Chicago’s NBA Draft Combine have become increasingly significant.

While many were upset that Maker opted out of competing in 5-on-5 drills, the Sudanese-Australian big-man made himself available for measurements and interviews, making an impression in both regards.

The first day of the camp saw Maker go through measurements, while the second day consisted of team interviews and athletic testing.

Here’s how Maker measured at the combine, and what it ultimately means for his overall draft stock.

MEASUREMENTS

Height Without Shoes: 6’11.75”

Height With Shoes: 7’0.75”

Weight: 216 lbs

Wingspan: 7’3

Standing Reach: 9’2.5”

Body Fat %: 6.1

Hand Length: 8.75

Hand Width: 9.50

Maker’s pre-draft measurements were a mixed bag, with some of his numbers impressing, while others are significantly lacking.

Standing at just under seven foot, without shoes, makes Maker the third tallest prospect at the camp. It’s likely that, at the next level — considering his mobility — Maker will play more at the four-spot, making his height even more impressive.

The 7’3 wingspan is generally what one would expect from someone his height, and his standing reach is also unsurprising; but, there are a few things that would be considered red flags to NBA evaluators.

Maker has often been knocked for not having soft hands, which makes sense, considering his hand measurements at the combine. Height generally translates to hand size, however, in Maker’s case, his hand length and width aren’t even among the top-10. While it’s not an aspect that would, on its own, deter teams from drafting him; it’s still a trait that is significant for a big-man, and something teams will factor.

The other measurement that proved to be underwhelming was Maker’s weight. The seven-footer weighed in at just 216 lbs, which is nearly 10 lbs below what he measured just a few weeks earlier. Maker has put on a significant amount of weight since moving to North America in 2013, but his inability to put on weight over the past year makes it seem as though there may be a ceiling to how much muscle mass he can put on.

Because of his weight, questions will arise as to whether Maker will be able to defend big-men at the next level; a question that’s also somewhat justified, considering the big-man is yet to compete at a level beyond high school.

ATHLETIC TESTING

Maximum Vertical Leap: 36.5’

Standing Vertical Leap: 32’

Lane Agility Time: 11.5 seconds

Three Quarter Sprint: 3.33 seconds

Shuttle Run: 3.09 seconds

As expected, Maker tested extremely well in this portion of the combine, posting some historic numbers for someone his size.

While it’s his agility that makes him a unique prospect for his size, Maker’s vertical leap numbers were what stood out.

Maker’s 36.5’ maximum vertical leap is the highest ever record in the NBA Draft Combine history, among players over 6’11. The 32’ standing vertical leap was the highest in history, among players over 6’11.

The remaining athletic tests also showed why Maker is one of the draft’s most physically intriguing prospects, with his lane agility, three-quarter sprint, and shuttle run times measuring among the best for big-men at the 2016 combine.

TEAM MEETINGS

Maker met with 12 teams throughout the combine, including the Detroit Pistons and the Boston Celtics.

The majority of the meetings were simply introductory for Maker, who is expected to schedule more meetings and workouts once the NBA Draft Lottery sorts out the draft order.

As expected, Maker impressed in the team meetings; arguably his biggest upside is his maturity and competitiveness, which are two traits that bode extremely well for professional clubs.

“Through the interviews, most of the teams are really getting to know what type of person I am, and how good of a person I am,” Maker told reporters at the combine.

“Kevin Garnett. I can see myself being a modern version of Kevin Garnett. Intensity, leadership, and hard work. That’s contagious and rubs off on his teammates. Defensive presence and offence, too.

“(Can’t talk trash) to the level he goes up to. If somebody talks trash, I won’t get into it to the point where I started talking about their mother, or anything like that.”

A topic of conversation that was prevalent at the combine was Maker’s famous mixtapes, which, hasn’t only skewed the public perception of the big-man, but has also affected the scouting process of several NBA teams.

Maker’s mixtapes were somewhat altered to show off his impressive mobility, and rare ball-handling exploits, giving the impression that he’s a guard or wing.

“People have got to stop with the mixtape stuff. That’s not me,” Maker said.

“I bet you those people that put out those mixtapes haven’t really sat through a whole game of mine, and watched it, and saw my defensive rotation, the way I communicate with my teammates, and the way I pass the ball.

“They probably got the bad passes — the one hand passes — and didn’t get the fundamental two hand jump stop, or skip passes. They don’t get to see all of that stuff. Some people use that to identify me; the mixtapes. But I just told the team what it is, and that’s not me.”

PROJECTION

While Maker’s measurements were, for the most-part, extremely impressive, the biggest thing NBA teams will take away from the combine is the fact that he didn’t compete in any on-court activities. Because Maker never competed in college, NBA scouts and executives are still yet to see whether he’s able to match-up against players at the next level.

The measurements and athletic testing lend credence to the idea that Maker is a ‘project’ big-man, with teams expected to draft him based solely on his ceiling; which is extremely high.

Entering the combine, Maker was considered a late first-round pick, and it’s unlikely that’s changed until he has the chance to workout — and meet with — NBA teams in the coming weeks.

***by OLGUN ULUC Source: FOX SPORTS***

Olgun Uluc covers basketball for Fox Sports Australia. Follow him on Twitter @OlgunUluc.

Re: Thon Maker NBA Draft Combine analysis
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Looks like he met with the Celtics! Great sign! I hope Ainge grabs him somewhere in the mid-to late 1st round.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:40:05 PM »

• Bill Walton
Looks like he met with the Celtics! Great sign! I hope Ainge grabs him somewhere in the mid-to late 1st round.

Yes, I have the same sentiments, I think the big bonus of having such an array of picks and assets is that you can take some chances and swing for the fences on someone like Maker.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:43:56 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
TP thanks for sharing this.

I'm intrigued by him. We have so many picks that I wouldn't hate the idea of taking a chance on him. It's like a PJIII thing. Minimum downside, intriguing upside. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't break the team.

- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:47:44 PM »

• Bill Walton
What I also have taken from him is his professionalism, maturity and sheer hard work.

Maker went to Canada and worked his butt off and pushed hard to get into the NBA early, not because he wants to be a millionaire and 'star' but because he comes from a very poor South Sudanese/Australian family and it is pretty evident that he is doing all of this for them.

So if Maker doesn't fulfil his potential it won't be for a lack of hard work and dedication.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:54:30 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
The maturity+work ethic is a big deal for someone who has such a long way to go skills-wise. Individual workouts will be very important for him. Can't draft someone in the first round if they aren't good at basketball.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:37:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Got to draft him .

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:30:47 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I'm sold! He sounded like he has a very good head on his shoulders. I'm really hoping he doesn't work his way up past the Dallas pick in the workouts, because he'd be an excellent grab there. And, hell, why not swing for the fences there? We have enough of those types of prospects.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:37:05 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
When someone who had very little high level exposure but has lots of physical tools declines to go through scrimmages, it makes me very wary. It looks like his agents are packaging him to be like exum before the draft. While Exum may still be a star (we never know) the early returns are somewhat disappointing compared to the hype he got. This situation looks eerily similar to that.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 03:14:02 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I agree if he is so gifted why not play in the scrimmage. Last time we saw him against his peers he turtled.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 03:35:37 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm very wary of this kid. If drafted by us there is no way there will be a roster spot available next year so he'd likely need to agree to go overseas for a year. It is a big problem if he has issues putting on weight.

Skipping the 5 on 5 when you are in his draft position is a big red flag to me. It tells me he doesn't want his lack of physical maturity to be exposed. When all is said and done I think he goes in the 2nd round. Long term it would probably be better to do a year in college or Europe before coming to the NBA and consolidate himself as a 1st round pick

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 04:01:22 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Thon Maker is another Deandre Jordan in the making.

If you used him right he could be very effective and would certainly be a valuable trade asset.

I'd be happy with him at any point 16 and on.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 05:48:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Great write up,

When you look at maker as a prospect and take away all the early hype you have a kid who is an elite athlete, has good positional size, and interviews very well. With all that said he is extremely raw. His positives are all the key points you want in an elite NBA big man. His chances of being a bust are very high because of his total lack of experience but I think his ceiling gets him drafted 14-20 and the Cs will give him serious consideration.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I'm very wary of this kid. If drafted by us there is no way there will be a roster spot available next year so he'd likely need to agree to go overseas for a year. It is a big problem if he has issues putting on weight.

Skipping the 5 on 5 when you are in his draft position is a big red flag to me. It tells me he doesn't want his lack of physical maturity to be exposed. When all is said and done I think he goes in the 2nd round. Long term it would probably be better to do a year in college or Europe before coming to the NBA and consolidate himself as a 1st round pick

I don't blame him for skipping the 5 on 5 it was the smart thing to do. He is leaving the combine with his only negative being that he is 20lbs under weight for his size and position. The positives he takes out of the combine are his measurable a testing and interview. Sounds to me like a great week for a raw NBA prospect. Getting exposed in 5 on 5 is a risk a lot of players and agents try to avoid he is not the only one.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 05:59:59 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Reminds me a little of kg.  Jesus get this kid and develop him