Author Topic: Jeff Goodman's mock draft  (Read 10536 times)

Re: Jeff Goodman's mock draft
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
what does everyone think it would take to move up to a top 5 pick? 

Say we end up with the 8th or 9th pick, what would it take to leap frog those 4-6 places to get a immediate impact player?  I assume both our 1st round picks, and maybe another pick as well??
Well, if we want to move up to the top 5 because that's where the good players are, then I am sure those in the top 5 know that too.  They would not be moving back unless fairly compensated.  Probably both firsts this year and the Clippers first next year gets the conversation started at least.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Smart if he doesnt have a good tourney will slide like shabazz did last year. Kid shouldnt have pushed the fan. Then shouldnt have pushed away his teammates to try to calm him down

There's no way he'll fall to #14 like Shabazz did. He's also a much better talent that Shabazz was/is.

The allure of potential will be too much to a GM, not to mention he's arguably a top 5 talent in this draft.
Smart is barely a top five player in most Big 12 conference games he plays in, let alone in the country.

If that was truly the case, then why the heck do the vast majority of draft pundits have him pegged as a top 5 pick or, at least, a top 5 talent.

What are you seeing that others aren't?  The attitude thing?
Not really interested in draft pundits, as I watch a lot of basketball for myself both live and televised. Would prefer to go on actual performance and the skill set of the player and leave the hype at the door.

Well let's see, Marcus Smart is shooting 42 % in college basketball. Nothing in the dozen or so games I have seen him play this year says he is suddenly going to turn that around moving up to the NBA next year.

Smart has consistently been out played by other elite Big 12 point guards this season who are simply having better years with the same or superior physical tools. The real pundits see this and it will effect his draft position unless it changes.

For example, huge conference game in Stillwater, which turns out to be the game of the year to date in college basketball. Deandre Kane puts up 29 pts 9 rebounds and 9 assists going head to head with Smart. Juwan Staten out scored Smart 20 to 4 going head to head earlier in the year as well. I am not just going on stats here. Watched both games. Kane is obviously bigger and stronger than Smart and more of a leader. Staten is way quicker, better shooter with tremendous floor vision.

Accordingly, I do not think Marcus Smart is a top 5 player/prospect/talent/potential whatever in the Big 12, let alone in the country. Also, I could easily seeing one of his own teammates turning out to be a better NBA player as well. Really do not care about Smart's other flopper/temper issues. Just my opinion with regard to his basketball skill level as it projects to the NBA game

Actually Kane isn't bigger and stronger than Smart.  Kane is 20lbs lighter and the same height as Smart - 6'4".  Kane just flat outplayed Smart in that game. 

Kane is def a better leader and keeps his head in the game more.  Shout out for D. Kane.  I hope he at least goes in the 1st round, but I kind of doubt it.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 03:56:35 PM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Smart if he doesnt have a good tourney will slide like shabazz did last year. Kid shouldnt have pushed the fan. Then shouldnt have pushed away his teammates to try to calm him down

There's no way he'll fall to #14 like Shabazz did. He's also a much better talent that Shabazz was/is.

The allure of potential will be too much to a GM, not to mention he's arguably a top 5 talent in this draft.
Smart is barely a top five player in most Big 12 conference games he plays in, let alone in the country.
Top college player doesn't equal top draft prospect.

Never has and never will.
Ok, Marcus Smart is not a top draft prospect IMO, if you would prefer that it be phased that way. And yes, Marcus Smart clearly getting out played by other draft prospect point guards in his own conference does matter and is a future predictor of likely events at the next level. That is why there are coaches and scouts at these games.

Of course it is possible that this changes and his conference play improves, as there is obviously excellent physical tools there. Not top 5 player/prospect/talent however.

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Vonleh would be a great pick.

But for #19, I'd go Glenn Robinson III if he's available over Hairston. I think the upside is far greater.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser

If that was truly the case, then why the heck do the vast majority of draft pundits have him pegged as a top 5 pick or, at least, a top 5 talent.

Not really interested in draft pundits, as I watch a lot of basketball for myself both live and televised. Would prefer to go on actual performance and the skill set of the player and leave the hype at the door.

Well let's see, Marcus Smart is shooting 42 % in college basketball. Nothing in the dozen or so games I have seen him play this year says he is suddenly going to turn that around moving up to the NBA next year.

Smart has consistently been out played by other elite Big 12 point guards this season who are simply having better years with the same or superior physical tools. The real pundits see this and it will effect his draft position unless it changes.

For example, huge conference game in Stillwater, which turns out to be the game of the year to date in college basketball. Deandre Kane puts up 29 pts 9 rebounds and 9 assists going head to head with Smart. Juwan Staten out scored Smart 20 to 4 going head to head earlier in the year as well. I am not just going on stats here. Watched both games. Kane is obviously bigger and stronger than Smart and more of a leader. Staten is way quicker, better shooter with tremendous floor vision.

Accordingly, I do not think Marcus Smart is a top 5 player/prospect/talent/potential whatever in the Big 12, let alone in the country. Also, I could easily seeing one of his own teammates turning out to be a better NBA player as well. Really do not care about Smart's other flopper/temper issues. Just my opinion with regard to his basketball skill level as it projects to the NBA game

Actually Kane isn't bigger and stronger than Smart.  Kane is 20lbs lighter and the same height as Smart - 6'4".  Kane just flat outplayed Smart in that game. 

Kane is def a better leader and keeps his head in the game more.  Shout out for D. Kane.  I hope he at least goes in the 1st round, but I kind of doubt it.
Kane is the strongest point guard in the country and likely would be in the top 5 in the NBA. He is almost 24 years old. He is actually two inches taller than Smart. Did not think that was up for debate, as it is mentioned during every game? I have a friend who plays at ISU. I have watched every game.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Kane is the strongest point guard in the country and likely would be in the top 5 in the NBA. He is almost 24 years old. Did not think that was up for debate, as it is mentioned during every game? I have a friend who plays at ISU. I have watched every game.

His age isn't up for debate, but saying Smart isn't strong enough to compete with Kane is silly.  Deandre has been the better player, but it isn't because he out-muscled Smart.  I think you are missing the point I was trying to say.  I think Kane is a better player this year.

Just for the record, the announcers in ISU games keep saying that Kane is 6'6".  Sometimes they don't even read the stat sheet well enough before the games.

I am an ISU alum who watches every ISU game as well.  Go Cyclones.

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser

Kane is the strongest point guard in the country and likely would be in the top 5 in the NBA. He is almost 24 years old. Did not think that was up for debate, as it is mentioned during every game? I have a friend who plays at ISU. I have watched every game.

His age isn't up for debate, but saying Smart isn't strong enough to compete with Kane is silly.  Deandre has been the better player, but it isn't because he out-muscled Smart.  I think you are missing the point I was trying to say.  I think Kane is a better player this year.

Just for the record, the announcers in ISU games keep saying that Kane is 6'6".  Sometimes they don't even read the stat sheet well enough before the games.

Did not say he out muscled Smart, as Marcus is likely the second strongest point guard in the league. Only said that Kane is stronger and bigger. Georges told me that Kane is almost as tall as him and Kane has clearly put on a lot of weight and muscle. I have proof. Look how strong DeAndre is! LOL....

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Did not say he out muscled Smart, as Marcus is likely the second strongest point guard in the league. Only said that Kane is stronger and bigger. Georges told me that Kane is almost as tall as him and Kane has clearly put on a lot of weight and muscle. I have proof. Look how strong DeAndre is! LOL....

lol that is ONE of the reasons Smart doesn't deserve to be a top 10 pick.  And tell G. Niang to stop fouling out of games!  haha we need him to stay in the game.

seriously GN is having a great year.

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser

lol that is ONE of the reasons Smart doesn't deserve to be a top 10 pick.  And tell G. Niang to stop fouling out of games!  haha we need him to stay in the game.

seriously GN is having a great year.
Yes, Georges lived with my son's coach for a few years. Great kid and a very hard worker. I kidded about "how did you get stuck playing center?" and he said that him, Kane, Hogue and Ejim are all about the same size. Just love watching Niang play with those unbelievable post moves. I use to sit with his mom at Tilton School games and she would be texting the Mayor every few minutes.....ha,ha.

Funny how Georges played on the same HS team as Nerlens Noel and Wayne Selden and against Noah Vonleh, Mitch McGary, Semaj Christon, TJ Warren and Ricky Ledo. Yet it was Georges who was named conference player of the year! He somehow just gets it done.

Good luck to ISU. If they had just one 6' 10" guy, they could easily make the final four IMO.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta say the more O see of CJ Fair the more I like him. If he was available with the C's second pick, I wouldn't hate it. Kid is going to be a solid pro.