Author Topic: steve bulpett says on twitter the celtics have worked out...  (Read 10559 times)

Re: steve bulpett says on twitter the celtics have worked out...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Won't the Celtics end up working out most of the potential first round picks by the time the draft happens?

Why is this a big deal?

It's a big deal because most top prospects won't work out for teams outside of the lottery.  If a kid's agent is recommending he work out with the Celtics, it's because we are perceived to have a legit chance of drafting him.  That could indicate at least speculation about a trade.

Ok...that makes sense. But then the real story here is that Barnes's agent thinks the Celtics have the ammo (or the desire, or both) to move up in the draft. Not necessarily that Ainge is thinking about it, right?

I mean, if Anthony Davis's agent thought for some reason that the Celtics might move up and called the Celtics asking for a workout, the C's would do the work out, right? It would just mean the agent was incorrect, not that the C's were actually moving up.

Partially true, I think.  The agent would have to have some reasonable belief that not only did Ainge have the ammunition, but also the desire.  That agent's belief presumably would have to come from somewhere.

But, that's a lot of tea leaf reading, for sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Won't the Celtics end up working out most of the potential first round picks by the time the draft happens?

Why is this a big deal?

It's a big deal because most top prospects won't work out for teams outside of the lottery.  If a kid's agent is recommending he work out with the Celtics, it's because we are perceived to have a legit chance of drafting him.  That could indicate at least speculation about a trade.

Ok...that makes sense. But then the real story here is that Barnes's agent thinks the Celtics have the ammo (or the desire, or both) to move up in the draft. Not necessarily that Ainge is thinking about it, right?

I mean, if Anthony Davis's agent thought for some reason that the Celtics might move up and called the Celtics asking for a workout, the C's would do the work out, right? It would just mean the agent was incorrect, not that the C's were actually moving up.

Partially true, I think.  The agent would have to have some reasonable belief that not only did Ainge have the ammunition, but also the desire.  That agent's belief presumably would have to come from somewhere.

Roy, are the pre-draft workouts usually initiated by the teams or the player's agent?

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why is this a big deal?

Roy, are the pre-draft workouts usually initiated by the teams or the player's agent?

It depends.  Generally, teams make requests, and agents filter those requests.  However, it can work the other way, too, as agents try to push their players on teams selecting above where they're projected.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Why is this a big deal?

It would have to be Ainge is thinking about moving up. Working out for teams with later draft picks will hurt a player's value in the draft. If you're expected to be a top 5 pick and you work out for the teams with draft picks in the mid teens then all of the teams would be wondering what problem you have (that they haven't seen yet) would make you think you might slip down that far in the draft.

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Clearly Ainge would like to move up.

However, the one thing he's not going to do is trade a franchise legend for draft picks. That simply isn't going to happen.

The move clearly would be to move our two firsts for a higher pick.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
However, the one thing he's not going to do is trade a franchise legend for draft picks. That simply isn't going to happen.

I hope you're right, in terms of it not happening.  Selfishly, I don't want to sacrifice watching Pierce over his last couple seasons to get a mid- to late-lottery pick.  I would understand the reasoning, but wouldn't want to see it happen.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Clearly Ainge would like to move up.

The move clearly would be to move our two firsts for a higher pick.

Not so sure that Ainge wouldn't do that. He almost did it at the deadline with the Nets. They got a Gerald Wallace rental instead.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
If Pierce goes, I think KG will not be back in Boston either. KG strikes me as the type of player who would follow Pierce at whatever price it took to spite the team that traded the guy he's battled with for five years.

I think the more likely scenario is Bradley and our two 1st round picks for #7 and #30. Basically you're giving Bradley and the 21st for #7. I'd probably do that trade if I were Portland. Bradley has proven himself as one of the best defenders in the league and that he has a developing offensive game as well. There is no guarantee with the 7th pick as to what you'll get...

For me, I'd rather keep Bradley and see how far I could move up with my two first round picks, maybe to #14 or #15.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 11:33:07 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
http://twitter.com/#!/stevebhoop

personally i think ainge is gonna try and trade our two firsts with portland for their #6 and one of their 2nd rounders??

why on earth would Portland do that?

changed my mind. i absolutely think he's gonna trade pierce and at least one of our draft picks to get golden states #7 and #30. makes complete sense working out harrison barnes, then also, andrew nicholson, draymond green, and kevin jones - the latter three all expected to go at around #25 - 35.

We'd have to take back a bad contract from Golden St. (either Jefferson or Biedrins) for that to work. 

Something like Richard Jefferson, Dorrell Wright, the #7 for Pierce and #22.

Golden St. would have an intriguing starting 5 after that trade: Curry/Thompson/Pierce/Lee/Bogut.  Some incredible perimeter shooting and a nice balance of offensive skills.  Some major vulnerabilities defensively, but Pierce would be solid and Bogut's one of the better defensive anchors out there.

Doesn't really make sense for Boston if we're planning to retain KG. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I hope you're right, in terms of it not happening.  Selfishly, I don't want to sacrifice watching Pierce over his last couple seasons to get a mid- to late-lottery pick.  I would understand the reasoning, but wouldn't want to see it happen.
Zero need as well to trade a franchise legend for draft picks. It would be an insane move to every clear-thinking Celtic fan who doesn't pine for those halcyon 24 win teams earlier this decade. Ainge's draft record is FAR too spotty for me to even remotely consider supporting such a move.

Ainge has plenty of resources to move up if he wants: the two existing firsts, others like Bass, etc. Giving up Pierce for speculative picks is a nutty move.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
In terms of value, I would be surprised if our two picks could get us past #15.  So let's get a little perspective on how far we can move up without trading a player.