Author Topic: steve bulpett says on twitter the celtics have worked out...  (Read 10560 times)

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
http://twitter.com/#!/stevebhoop

harrison barnes and terrence ross. umm... can we say with certainty that ainge wants to move up in the draft!?!?

additionally on his twitter feed he talks about how ainge was arguing/questioning clear path foul with officiating supervisor Joe Borgia after the game.

personally i think ainge is gonna try and trade our two firsts with portland for their #6 and one of their 2nd rounders??
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:38:49 AM by jyyzzoel »

Re: steve bulpett says on twitter the celtics have worked out...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

personally i think ainge is gonna try and trade our two firsts with portland for their #6 and one of their 2nd rounders??

why on earth would Portland do that?

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Barnes might go #2 to fellow UNC alum M Jordan and the bobcats.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
we need a scoring wing from this draft.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Terrence Ross is a cold blooded shooter but streaky so far. Shockingly athletic like a young Ray was. I imagine he can touch the top of the backboard easily but it happens in games like lightening where he's not in the play and then you see a guy come in and grab a board and be so high in the air that it looks like he'll hurt himself falling from the sky. He is exactly what we want but we need a BIG big too somehow.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47

changed my mind. i absolutely think he's gonna trade pierce and at least one of our draft picks to get golden states #7 and #30. makes complete sense working out harrison barnes, then also, andrew nicholson, draymond green, and kevin jones - the latter three all expected to go at around #25 - 35.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:24:32 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Wait, Ross can touch the top the BACKBOARD?  He might be able to touch the top of the square but even Howard or Lebron can't touch the top of the freaking backboard.  That's absurd.  Ross is athletic but he's not that athletic.  However athletic he is, I wished he would use his athleticism to get to the line more.  He's very smooth, like jazz smooth but being too smooth can be a negative.

His ballhandling is said to be below average but I thought it looked fine.  If his ballhandling is really limited, then he may be a smoother Ray Mercer.  If Mercer had three point range, he might have had a longer career.

I don't know about Barnes.  He seems a lock to be a solid scorer, perhaps in the Caron Butler mode but not talented enough to be an all-star.  What I don't get is the idea that he's super skilled.  He's a skilled shooter in a variety of ways but he's a very poor ball handler and not much of a passer; those are two major skill areas. It confuses me.

One of the problems with comparing Barnes to anybody is that the comparison breaks down on what he can't do.  Compare him to Pierce and it falls apart because he can't blow past people like Pierce could, among other reasons. Compare him to Joe Johnson and he can't handle the ball or pass as well.  He does have similar traits with Granger.  Both are 6'8, limited ball handlers, limited distributors, but both can shoot and have underrated post games.  Barnes has to prove he can make baskets proficiently against NBA defenders like Granger's proven but if he can, perhaps he can reach Granger's level.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 03:32:43 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Ross could very well be in trade-up range, probably around 12-16th pick? Barnes I don't see happening, but if Pierce can drop to #10 then who knows.

There are a handful of players like Ross, Moultrie, Terrance Jones and Austin Rivers that all have star potential and we could target in the middle of the 1st. I would love to see us identify the right one and trade something like #21 + future pick to get them.

Rondo, Bradley, Ross, Nicholson, and JJJ would certainly be an interesting core, especially if the plan is to hold them and watch the Howard situation. If either Nicholson or JJJ developed into a long-term starter, Howard would round out the bunch real nicely with a ton of cap room left over in 2013/2014.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:49:17 AM »

Offline Ocie1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
It blows my mind.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 06:46:53 AM »

Offline celty86

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Ainge probably feels Barnes will slide, which could well happen. I still think he wants Rivers but I also see the need for a wing. Ainge probably figures he can pick up bigs somewhere else. That he's going to get his talent (i.e. scoring, passing) out of the draft.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 07:32:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
smokescreens have been the order of the day in the past.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

changed my mind. i absolutely think he's gonna trade pierce and at least one of our draft picks to get golden states #7 and #30. makes complete sense working out harrison barnes, then also, andrew nicholson, draymond green, and kevin jones - the latter three all expected to go at around #25 - 35.

That would be the steal of the decade if Danny could pull that off.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »

Offline pennant_fever

• Oshae Brissett
Won't the Celtics end up working out most of the potential first round picks by the time the draft happens?

Why is this a big deal?

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Won't the Celtics end up working out most of the potential first round picks by the time the draft happens?

Why is this a big deal?

It's a big deal because most top prospects won't work out for teams outside of the lottery.  If a kid's agent is recommending he work out with the Celtics, it's because we are perceived to have a legit chance of drafting him.  That could indicate at least speculation about a trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »

Offline pennant_fever

• Oshae Brissett

Why is this a big deal?

It's a big deal because most top prospects won't work out for teams outside of the lottery.  If a kid's agent is recommending he work out with the Celtics, it's because we are perceived to have a legit chance of drafting him.  That could indicate at least speculation about a trade.

Ok...that makes sense. But then the real story here is that Barnes's agent thinks the Celtics have the ammo (or the desire, or both) to move up in the draft. Not necessarily that Ainge is thinking about it, right?

I mean, if Anthony Davis's agent thought for some reason that the Celtics might move up and called the Celtics asking for a workout, the C's would do the work out, right? It would just mean the agent was incorrect, not that the C's were actually moving up.