Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 397903 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2415 on: April 18, 2020, 10:46:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
The playoffs would have started today. The Celtics would have hosted the 76ers in Round 1 today. The Grizzlies would've went into LA too.

Wow. It would've been a fun year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2416 on: April 18, 2020, 11:19:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The playoffs would have started today. The Celtics would have hosted the 76ers in Round 1 today. The Grizzlies would've went into LA too.

Thanks for posting this info .  I was curious if the reg season would already be over and playoffs beginning.  I guess its the instinct of many years .   

So I really doubt there will be playoffs in May .  Still too much shut down and covid in all the major cities .

I wonder , if the NBA WILL TRY AND PUT together a playoff in August or Sept to finish th season.  I'm skeptical tho still at this point .  Seems like a too big of hurtle to get players in shape , organizations restarted, practices in,  testing , planning , travel.  refs ....just getting everything organized is a lot of work , when its hard to plan much given he disruption of everyday life .  Mainly the lack of a vaccine for the general public , to allow mass close in gatherings makes me think a playoff is iffy at best.

« Reply #2417 on: April 19, 2020, 01:58:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that the league should just scrap the playoffs and call it a season.  However, I would not be opposed to a March Madness style gimmick, though.  Do a 1-and-done tournament, seeding teams by regular season record.  Yes, it means a team like the Warriors could win a title despite being 35 games under .500, but it would be more entertaining than just ending the season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2418 on: April 19, 2020, 02:02:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think that the league should just scrap the playoffs and call it a season.  However, I would not be opposed to a March Madness style gimmick, though.  Do a 1-and-done tournament, seeding teams by regular season record.  Yes, it means a team like the Warriors could win a title despite being 35 games under .500, but it would be more entertaining than just ending the season.
A best-of-1 style tourney would be so much fun. Would lead to some really unexpected results, which could be cool. It helps that the C’s can go with any team on any given night.

However, if the C’s got bounced early and Memphis won it all my tune would change quickly ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2419 on: April 19, 2020, 07:19:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
 if the NBA thinks they need a playoff , i guess it could happen ... in some odd way.  TV wants to fill or sell commercial time ,   last minute planning of large scale event during these times might be very difficult .  TV crews , players families , all could be at risk still.

for me an NBA championship series without fans is very hollow ,  players depend on the energy of the fans .  The quietness in an empty arena would be very loud for me as a player and disrupt my confidence.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:36:08 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #2420 on: April 19, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A NBA March Madness tournament would be nuts. I'd very much want to tune into every game. How would the game schedule work considering how the NBA hardly ever has early games?

« Reply #2421 on: April 19, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

This would be even less beneficial for the Cs. As the season was playing out, the Grizz were left with a grueling schedule, while the Pels were surging for that last playoff spot (good-bye lottery pick). But being left in a position where we would need to play Philly in a one-and-done format in the 1st round would be awful. Not that I don't think the Cs could win, but that is still rough for how good we've been this season.

If there is a [decent] chance we only see the Cs play one more game while the Lakers very possibly cruise to a super-asterisked Title, then my very biased opinion is that we scrap the season and look to next year. Tatum hasn't picked up a basketball for over a month while others have full basketball courts in their homes - hardly seems like a fair contest.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:00:55 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #2422 on: April 19, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

This would be even less beneficial for the Cs. As the season was playing out, the Grizz were left with a grueling schedule, while the Pels were surging for that last playoff spot (good-bye lottery pick). But being left in a position where we would need to play Philly in a one-and-done format in the 1st round would be awful. Not that I don't think the Cs could win, but that is still rough for how good we've been this season.

If there is a [decent] chance we only see the Cs play one more game while the Lakers very possibly cruise to a super-asterisked Title, then my very biased opinion is that we scrap the season and look to next year. Guys Tatum hasn't picked up a basketball for over a month while others have full basketball courts in their homes - hardly seems like a fair contest.

Yup , basically handed LeBron another ring to add to his collection would have most likely been the outcome.

I think i he Bucks ended the season with the best record .   If they have to give the crown to somebody ....i say give it to Giannis and Bucks

« Reply #2423 on: June 13, 2020, 07:09:05 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Apparently, Jokic may have lost 30-50 pounds in the last 2-3 months! :o

If this is the case, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:35:23 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2424 on: June 13, 2020, 07:28:48 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

If this the case, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play!

He is already ELITE offensively...easily top 5, IMO.....if this weight loss improves his defense and mobility then he is EASILY top 5 overall, IMO...

Dude looks like Kristaps Porzingis build-wise in that photo.

« Reply #2425 on: June 13, 2020, 08:01:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

He is already ELITE offensively...easily top 5, IMO.....if this weight loss improves his defense and mobility then he is EASILY top 5 overall, IMO...

My initial reaction is the other way - that this weight loss is a risk to his game and could hurt him. If he doesn't get enough of a boost to his speed & mobility, the loss of his bulk & strength will take away more from his game than the speed / mobility adds and make Jokic worse overall.

That is a lot of weight to lose in one go. In such a short period of time.

Especially for a player who uses his bulk so well in one-on-one situations as both a ball-handler and a post player. The loss of that weight could hurt him a lot.

It could also make him more vulnerable on defense. Jokic is not a vertical player. Not a jumper. He holds his ground well because of his size. Take too much of that size away and he can get pushed around. On drives, in post ups, in box-outs.

This reminds me of Jose Calderon. The Raptors thinking his bulk was the problem behind his defense. Forced him to drop 20+lbs to try and make him quicker. He didn't get much quicker. Slow feet are slow feet. He did however lose his strength / bulk and got pushed around on drives, had trouble navigating screens and was abused on switches against bigger players .... leading to the worst defensive season of his prime.

Jokic is slow and can't jump. I don't know how much of a boost he is going to get from losing all that weight. I'd feel much better about 10-15lbs than I do 30-50lbs.

I am expecting more of a negative outcome from this than a positive one.

« Reply #2426 on: June 13, 2020, 08:06:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

My initial reaction is the other way - that this weight loss is a risk to his game and could hurt him. If he doesn't get enough of a boost to his speed & mobility, the loss of his bulk & strength will take away more from his game than the speed / mobility adds and make Jokic worse overall.

Especially for a player who uses his bulk so well in one-on-one situations as both a ball-handler and a post player. The loss of that weight could hurt him a lot.

It could also make him more vulnerable on defense. Jokic is not a vertical player. Not a jumper. He holds his ground well because of his size. Take too much of that size away and he can get pushed around. On drives, in post ups, in box-outs.

This reminds me of Jose Calderon. The Raptors thinking his bulk was the problem behind his defense. Forced him to drop 20+lbs to try and make him quicker. He didn't get much quicker. Slow feet are slow feet. He did however lose his strength / bulk and got pushed around on drives, had trouble navigating screens and was abused on switches against bigger players .... leading to the worst defensive season of his prime.

Jokic is slow and can't jump. I don't know how much of a boost he is going to get from losing all that weight. I'd feel much better about 10-15lbs than I do 30-50lbs.

Agree completely. Of course, we don’t actually know how much weight he has lost, but it looks drastic. I think he could’ve stood to keep more weight on and still improved his conditioning (which wasn’t even too terrible).

I feel similar about Harden’s apparent weight loss. Think that will only serve to hinder his game
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2427 on: June 13, 2020, 08:16:31 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Not sure whether such a drastic weight loss will help him this season, but I'm definitely intrigued to see how it will turn out. At the very least, I believe it will help him long term. Carrying all that weight was an injury risk.

Here's a quote form Tim Connelly who's the president of basketball operations of the Nuggets.

Quote from: Tim Connelly
He's beach ready. He has abs. He showed up in great shape. He's sitting there. He sent me a picture. No shirt on. He's got abs. I've never seen him have abs before.

If only Luka could lose some pounds as well. :P I read a few days ago that he was working out in his native Slovenia.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:30:25 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2428 on: June 13, 2020, 10:06:06 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

If this is the case, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play!

One time during one of my long runs in Colorado on the trails, here comes this tall man running from other direction-Jokic!- he flew by me and seemed friendly as running by with the “hi” that most runners give each other in this area. That was the tallest person I ever saw on the trails running though. Not surprised he got into better shape as running long distances is a great way to accomplish that goal. This was a few months ago when pandemic was just beginning.

« Reply #2429 on: June 13, 2020, 10:18:13 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

VERY interesting take...had NOT thought about that (TP).

We'll see how it goes.

I remember Jamal Murray commenting on his weight loss as a positive thing so we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:08:44 AM by GreenFaith1819 »