Poll

Who's your least favorite New England sports personality/writer?

Donny Marshall
3 (5.6%)
Mike Gorman
0 (0%)
Remy
0 (0%)
Big O/Glen Ordway
7 (13%)
Ron Borges
2 (3.7%)
Tommy
1 (1.9%)
Michael Holley
1 (1.9%)
Bob Ryan
1 (1.9%)
Dan Shaughnessy
6 (11.1%)
Bill Simmons
1 (1.9%)
John Dennis
1 (1.9%)
Gerry Kallahan
8 (14.8%)
Greg Dickerson
1 (1.9%)
Gary Tanguay
8 (14.8%)
Scott Zolak
0 (0%)
Bob Lobel
1 (1.9%)
Meterparel
1 (1.9%)
Iggy
0 (0%)
Michael Felger
10 (18.5%)
Sean McDonough
0 (0%)
Tony Massarotti
0 (0%)
Pete Shepherd
0 (0%)
Bob Neumeier
0 (0%)
Dale Arnold
2 (3.7%)
Jackie MacMullan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Who's your least favorite New England sports personality/writer?  (Read 17738 times)

Re: Who's your least favorite New England sports personality/writer?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Now that Peter May has retired, I'll say Dan Shaughnessy, clearly.

Well Roy, welcome back to New England. The Sports Hub gave that clown a show too.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I couldn't narrow it down to just one.  Besides, Fred Smerlas isn't on the list, and I'd rate him right up there with a few of the other awful ones.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 03:42:23 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Scribe:  Ron Borges

Radio: Gerry Callaghan (yes, I'm well aware that he writes too but his radio antics are 10x more insufferable)

Agreed on Callahan.  Horrendous show from 2 guys who actually know sports.  The repetition and vigor with which they  pontificate their conservative views is too much to bear. Differing views are aggressively shouted down and no attempt made for voicing moderate views (which I tend to espouse) or respect for disparate perspectives -- of which viable ones do actually exist.  

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
CHB gets under my skin, but he is a very talented writer when he puts his mind to it.

Who is CHB?

curly haired boyfriend...aka dan shaughnessy.

from his wiki page:

Known by Red Sox fans (and some players) as being overly negative and critical, he earned the pejorative nickname "Curly-Haired Boyfriend" from former Red Sox player Carl Everett.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'm shocked that Felger isn't a landslide winner.

Dennis and Callahan aren't on my radar as they're political commentators more than sports guys. I stopped listening to WEEI long ago because of them when before I'd turn it on in the morning and listen all day.

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
I dislike a lot of them. Some aren't good at their job and some are just annoying. Gary Tanguay is the least qualified for his job, so I voted for him. However...

I do have an interesting story about Dan Shaughnessy. Back in 2003 I was so sick of Shaughnessy being a total jerk I called him at his work. I got to speak with him.

We had a long conversation about his negativity. He openly admitted that he likes seeing the Red Sox lose because it makes his columns more interesting. The more Boston teams needed criticism, the easier and better he can do his job and the more money he made. He's ridiculous. He was dead serious about all this and it hurt to hear those things since I breath Sox and Celtics.

He has lightened up a bit since the Sox won it all in 2004, but I hate him with a passion for not truly loving Boston teams deep down.

Remy is definitely the best at his job. He's probably my favorite, among a few good ones.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
No Roy Hobbs option?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »

Offline 44Thrilla

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 59
Tanguay is so annoying. If I ever see him in person, I promise I will punch him.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Callahan....i cant even turn D&C on.  I turn to Toucher and Rich and if thats at a commercial i resort to music.

I agee with the Felger haters, but what separates Felger is that he acts like he knows he's a jerk.  Callahan thinks he's the good guy and always right.

On the opposite end for me (aka most favorite) Holley and Jackie Mac.
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Gary Tanguay is by far the worst, this is the same guy that was convinced the Celtics were going to sign Joe Johnson after Pierce opted out and then resign Pierce. This guy covers the Celtics and doesn't have a clue about Cap Holds, Bird Rights and the consequences that come from renouncing a player. And when knowledgeable posters from Celticsblog E-mailed him and his colleagues to correct him, he ignored them and carried on spewing his ignorance and making casual fans even dumber.

I think these numbers will be skewed because of the amount of hate aimed towards Ordway after Ainge blew him off yesterday. A lot of whiny, frustrated Celtics fans on this site were waiting a long time to hear Danny speak and were quite annoyed that the Big O didn't spend the entire down time talking NBA trade deadline as if nothing else in the world of sports was going on.

With the absence of Gresh on this poll, Tanguay should be winning by a large margin.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »

Offline Chre

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • Gordon Bombay
Butch Sterns.  He is unbearable.  I often listen to WEEI, and can handle a lot, but he is the one guy who makes me change the channel, no matter what.  He also comes across like he is a world-class jerk in real life as well, unlike some other guys who have an annoying on-air persona (for example, I think guys like Felger, the Big-O, and even Gerry Callahan, are probably pretty nice guys).

As for writers, I don't really read anyone enough to care at this point.  There is no one who makes me want to read their articles, just because of who wrote it (Felger is the closest...although he has gotten much worse since he took on all the other gigs), and there is no one I won't read if the topic is interesting to me.

I could not agree more with you on this one. Of all the personalities on the air in Boston, something about this guy just rubs me the wrong way (my actual least favorite person is Larry Johnson, who is about as clueless, outdated, and unknowledgeable about sports as anyone could ever get, but he isn't big enough to warrant discussion IMO).

Regarding Stearns, my issue with him is his general lack of awareness of how anything works in sports. In my opinion, he is lazy, quick to report anything, and will do anything to boost his undeserved self image. He comes off as if he wants to be known as someone "in the know," but doesn't know anything.

In short, I hate him.

However, I voted for John Dennis. Condescending, self-aggrandizing, and woefully out of touch. I don't mind Callahan, primarily because I'm fairly conservative, but I have also met him a couple times, and its pretty obvious that his act is a radio thing.

John Dennis to me, is trapped in a world that ceased to exist years ago.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:27:11 PM by Chre »
Lookin' at my Gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Butch Sterns.  He is unbearable.  I often listen to WEEI, and can handle a lot, but he is the one guy who makes me change the channel, no matter what.  He also comes across like he is a world-class jerk in real life as well, unlike some other guys who have an annoying on-air persona (for example, I think guys like Felger, the Big-O, and even Gerry Callahan, are probably pretty nice guys).

As for writers, I don't really read anyone enough to care at this point.  There is no one who makes me want to read their articles, just because of who wrote it (Felger is the closest...although he has gotten much worse since he took on all the other gigs), and there is no one I won't read if the topic is interesting to me.

I could not agree more with you on this one. Of all themy  personalities on the air in Boston, something about this guy just rubs me the wrong way (my actual least favorite person is Larry Johnson, who is about as clueless, outdated, and unknowledgeable about sports as anyone could ever get, but he isn't big enough to warrant discussion IMO).

Regarding Stearns, my issue with him is his general lack of awareness of how anything works in sports. In my opinion, he is lazy, quick to report anything, and will do anything to boost his undeserved self image. He comes off as if he wants to be known as someone "in the know," but doesn't know anything.

In short, I hate him.

The worst part is that not only is he completely clueless, but if someone calls him out, he refuses to accept it, and then turns into a 10 year old bully.  The best is when someone else on the show tries to get a word in (after he cut them off), and he starts yelling "can I finish??"

A truly detestable character.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
what a tough choice with so many viable candidates.  it was a toss up between felger and the big o, but i had to go big o!  good to see that at least my two choices were leading the way (tied for second).
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
what a tough choice with so many viable candidates.  it was a toss up between felger and the big o, but i had to go big o!  good to see that at least my two choices were leading the way (tied for second).

there is no wrong answer....except for mike gorman, the best in the world at what he does.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"