Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Raptors (0-0) 12/18  (Read 36816 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Raptors (0-0) 12/18
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I hope to hear of the C's getting Johnson on some kind of weight training regiment.  I really don't see him playing much this year with Wilcox and Bass (who I love seeing play together).  But JJJ needs some beef on that frame for the NBA.

« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
I applaud Doc for playing the youngsters against their starters. Valuable experience even though it's only preseason
The Raptors head coach is going to tear his starters a new one.

LOL! Yea, that's going to be a tough one to deal with for the raptors. Calderon got shut down by Bradley, gotta give him credit for something.

« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
how we feeling about the bench mob now?  the idea that they could hang with sub-.500 teams is really being put to the test here.
What are the lineups for each side?
The Raptors starting crew vs. Moore, Bradley, Brown, JJ and Stiemsma

How has E.Moore looked?

I would think that this would be a difficult set of matchups for him. DeRozan has too much size for Moore and Barbosa is a much more athletic and explosive version of Moore. I imagine he is at a pretty bid disadvantage out there.

They could probably put him on R.Butler but Moore isn't big or long enough to contest his shots on close-outs.

He's been on Bayless.  (Raps went small with Bayless and Calderon).  Got burned a little with Bayless' speed, but not too bad. 

Has Doc used Moore as a PG at all? Or strictly a two?

Doc used Moore at pg to close the game, and he came through with great leadership.
Good to hear.

I'd be a lot more interested in Moore if he can play the point.

« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
how we feeling about the bench mob now?  the idea that they could hang with sub-.500 teams is really being put to the test here.
The Raptors starting crew vs. Moore, Bradley, Brown, JJ and Stiemsma

How has E.Moore looked?

I would think that this would be a difficult set of matchups for him. DeRozan has too much size for Moore and Barbosa is a much more athletic and explosive version of Moore. I imagine he is at a pretty bid disadvantage out there.

They could probably put him on R.Butler but Moore isn't big or long enough to contest his shots on close-outs.

He's been on Bayless.  (Raps went small with Bayless and Calderon).  Got burned a little with Bayless' speed, but not too bad. 

Has Doc used Moore as a PG at all? Or strictly a two?

Initially at the 2 with Dooling, then in the 2nd half as the point with Bradley.  Down the stretch, he looked to shoot first, coming off a screen roll to bury a J, knocking down another one off an iso, hitting JJ for an open J off a screen/roll and then taking a wild floater off another screen/roll.

Looked about on par with Dooling at the 1.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
It would be nice if we could get some solid production from at least 1 of our picks this year. The last time that happened was 4 years ago (BBD).
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
I applaud Doc for playing the youngsters against their starters. Valuable experience even though it's only preseason
The Raptors head coach is going to tear his starters a new one.

LOL! Yea, that's going to be a tough one to deal with for the raptors. Calderon got shut down by Bradley, gotta give him credit for something.
They can play aggressively on Wednesday. Not like it is going to matter. If I were a "star" on that team, I'd be looking for a trade.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
our 3rd string just outplayed the raptors in the 3rd and 4th lol

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

End of our bench vs. their starters

but that's the point; people were so gaga over our bench that some even suggested they'd be able to hang with sub-.500 teams.

well, this is a sub-.500 team, and they can't even get a shot off, let alone make a shot.

No..what people were saying is that the 6th through 11th players on our team could stick with a 500 team...this is the 11th through 16th players on our team ie. the guys who wont even play.  They didnt come back against Quis, wilcox, bass, dolling, etc.

yeah, and i agree with you as far as the unit out there right now is concerned . . . but the run that started this comeback began when key members of the bench were still out there, and those guys very noticeably could not score to save their lives. 

That's not what I saw. Our key bench guys have dominated most of the game tonight.

a couple of the bench guys did well when they were mixed with starters (which, admittedly, is how they are going to be played 90% of the time).  but im just pointing out, this bench is not as amazing as some people were saying.  put things in perspective a little bit here.  there is no go-to guy on the bench that we can rely on to score consistently against starter-level players.

that doesn't mean the bench is bad, but it means it's not necessarily a big strength, either.

To be fair, all the comments that I've seen regarding the strength of our bench were from before Green was out.  Since he went down, I dont think anyone has indicated that our bench would be a strength.

I think our normal bench players (bass, wilcox, quis, dooling) looked great today.  The others are basically just trying to prove they can play in the same league.  From that...Moore looked good, and the Bradley experiment should be put to an end.  The problem isnt that we were trying to force him to be a PG, when he's a shooting guard...the problem is that we're trying to convince ourselves that he's a legit NBA prospect, that was worth a 17th pick, when he just isnt.  His shortcomings on offense are too large to be made up for with his defense.

« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nice preseason win...did not see game, but from the box scores looks like the bench contributed.

The only starter to play 28 min was Ray Allen, which for him is no problem. Every other starter played less.

And from the comments in the thread the bench played a good portion of minutes towards the end....and no Paul Pierce, either?

Nice win :).

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

End of our bench vs. their starters

but that's the point; people were so gaga over our bench that some even suggested they'd be able to hang with sub-.500 teams.

well, this is a sub-.500 team, and they can't even get a shot off, let alone make a shot.

No..what people were saying is that the 6th through 11th players on our team could stick with a 500 team...this is the 11th through 16th players on our team ie. the guys who wont even play.  They didnt come back against Quis, wilcox, bass, dolling, etc.

yeah, and i agree with you as far as the unit out there right now is concerned . . . but the run that started this comeback began when key members of the bench were still out there, and those guys very noticeably could not score to save their lives. 

That's not what I saw. Our key bench guys have dominated most of the game tonight.

a couple of the bench guys did well when they were mixed with starters (which, admittedly, is how they are going to be played 90% of the time).  but im just pointing out, this bench is not as amazing as some people were saying.  put things in perspective a little bit here.  there is no go-to guy on the bench that we can rely on to score consistently against starter-level players.

that doesn't mean the bench is bad, but it means it's not necessarily a big strength, either.

To be fair, all the comments that I've seen regarding the strength of our bench were from before Green was out.  Since he went down, I dont think anyone has indicated that our bench would be a strength.

"Anyone" doesn't include me. In fact, I don't think the team loses that much with Green out, other than the ability to play small with KG at the 5 and Green at the 4, which I don't care for anyway.  The team has four solid vets coming off the bench, right now (and Ainge could still do another signing).  Losing Green simply means more minutes for Bass and Marquis which is fine by me.

« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I was very impressed with our bench players today.  These guys aren't blowing anyone away, but Dooling, Marquis, Bass, and Wilcox look to be a very competent second unit. 

Daniels looked great out there.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can stay healthy. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2011, 10:16:58 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I did not bother to try to pick up an internet feed but I did peruse a 2nd qtr box score and judging by the play it appeared slow and sloppy.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
catch a lil on you tube