Author Topic: Bucks (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Game #1 12/23/20  (Read 54156 times)

Re: Bucks (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Game #1 12/23/20
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dreading the idea that Javonte might start

I would think Ojeleye would start. Seems to have been the direction Stevens has gone in the past so he can match up with Giannis.

I rather see this happen

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Dreading the idea that Javonte might start

I feel this would be Langford if he was healthy.  This is where the short season is going to hurt us.  Kemba and Langford recovering and out until January at least.

Wow that would be crazy ! I expected Teague or G Williams... Eventually Ojeleye to face Giannis. Where does come this info ? Whatever I hope we will see a good match and progression since lst week. Good that Bucks are not either coming from a good preseason

The starting lineup isn't usually posted until shortly before game time.  The starting lineup I post is usually just a guess.  In this case the guess is because this is who Brad started in the preseason.  It' not official in the least.  I personally don't think Green should start but went with the starting lineup from the preseason rather than putting in my preference. 

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
People place WAY too much emphasis on who starts vs who doesn't. This isn't high school basketball.  Much more important is the rotation and the best 5 person unit for finishing games.

I'm looking at the back end of the regular rotation and who's in it.  If Green's in it, the Celtics problems may be deeper than anyone of us thought.  But I think the success of the team - at least as it appears at this point in time - hinges on the development of Nesmith, Pritchard, and the two Williams - so that's what I'll be watching.

If you give away leads (or fall farther behind) every time you go to the bench, that's a huge problem.  And right now I'm kind of expecting it so I'll be looking for signs of hope.

Overall tonight is extended pre-season - and I go in with zero expectations.

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
People place WAY too much emphasis on who starts vs who doesn't. This isn't high school basketball.  Much more important is the rotation and the best 5 person unit for finishing games.

Starting lineups matter very much when you are putting out ineffective lineups that do not have a chance to compete. That is what CBS is doing right now (in preseason).

The Bucks are one of the best defensive teams in the league. If CBS continues with this sole ball-handler, all on Smart's shoulders (limited playmaker at that) then the team is screwed.

This is bad coaching. Plain and simple.

It is going to be so easy for Milwaukee's defense if CBS continues this madness. Short of some lucky hot shooting to keep Boston in it, Milwaukee will be up double digits before end of the 1st quarter.

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2020, 02:23:43 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
the boys are back in town

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2020, 02:24:28 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This a big reason why we got TT hope he plays but not at possible expense (like Kemba playing at all star game). This is national tv so I hope he treads lightly

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I do not mind coaches starting a weaker player in the starting lineup. That often makes sense to balance out the rotation and beef up the bench.

But that player has to have the right skill-set to round out the rest of the lineup to maintain an effective lineup.

That is not the case here. This starting lineup is doomed because it does not have enough ball-handling, dribble penetration or playmaking. Everything is beyond the three point line and in front of the defense. Easy to defend. Contested long jump shots.

They have to get another ball-handler in there. Pritchard or Teague has to start alongside Smart in order to have an effective offense.

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I don't really care who starts in that 5th starter position.  I just hope the whole team can wake up and get into gear a bit.  I would like to see a competitive game.  Those two pre-season games were difficult to watch.

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Starting lineups matter very much when you are putting out ineffective lineups that do not have a chance to compete. That is what CBS is doing right now (in preseason).

The Bucks are one of the best defensive teams in the league. If CBS continues with this sole ball-handler, all on Smart's shoulders (limited playmaker at that) then the team is screwed.

This is bad coaching. Plain and simple.

It is going to be so easy for Milwaukee's defense if CBS continues this madness. Short of some lucky hot shooting to keep Boston in it, Milwaukee will be up double digits before end of the 1st quarter.

Agreed. Digging a big hole at the beginning of games is a real obstacle. It was last year and will be again this year.

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I will look to see how responsive the Jays are to coaching. I really shudder at the thought of Tatum bringing up the ball as part of the regular offense because it just delays the team from getting into its sets, and invariably ends in the ISO play that stifles the offense. Someone needs to get to Tatum to spend less time on his press clippings and more time on actually developing his game to superstar levels.

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Someone needs to get to Tatum to spend less time on his press clippings and more time on actually developing his game to superstar levels.

This is a weirdly antagonistic take.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I will look to see how responsive the Jays are to coaching. I really shudder at the thought of Tatum bringing up the ball as part of the regular offense because it just delays the team from getting into its sets, and invariably ends in the ISO play that stifles the offense. Someone needs to get to Tatum to spend less time on his press clippings and more time on actually developing his game to superstar levels.
Javonte is very coachable 😬... our new starter and a J lol

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2020, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Have we heard anything regarding potential starting lineups yet? Might throw a fit if Javonte starts.

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Someone needs to get to Tatum to spend less time on his press clippings and more time on actually developing his game to superstar levels.

This is a weirdly antagonistic take.

dont mean to be antagonistic, I like Tatum but just watch him tonight and see what I mean by him bringing up the ball and stifling the offense.

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Javonte Green is starting??

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller