Author Topic: Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2009 Edition  (Read 44263 times)

Re: Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2009 Edition
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hey Roy, thanks for all the hard work putting this together.  I refer to it often and TP you frequently for it.

Question:  You say in it that teams must have a minimum of 13 players under contract.  It seemed like a bit of a random number since the roster minimum is 12.  A friend of mine questioned it and we looked around the web and found another source that says you need only 12.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q14

Could you verify which is correct?  And I've always been curious to know  what do you use as a source for all of your knowledge?

I also used Larry Coon for my source:

A team must have 12 players on its active roster, although they can drop to 11 for up to two weeks at a time. They must suit up at least eight players for every game. Any remaining players must be on its Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. A team must have a minimum of one and a maximum of three players on its Inactive List, although they can drop to zero for up to two weeks at a time, and can temporarily have four with league approval in the event of a hardship. The composition of the Inactive List can change on a game-by-game basis -- no less than 60 minutes prior to tipoff, the team must present to the official scorer a list of the players who will be active for that game. A player can be inactive for as little as one game. While individual teams are only required to carry 13 players (12 active and one inactive), the NBA also guarantees a league-wide average of at least 14 players per team. The league is surcharged if they do not meet this obligation.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q67

Teams are only assessed a roster charge if they have fewer than *12* players on the roster, apparently, but they're required to carry 13 during the season.

In terms of my sources, I generally use Coon a lot, but I also have read through the CBA a few times, especially when trying to clarify issues.  On this issue, I can't remember if I did any of that research; I'm trusting Coon that it's 13.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Could you verify which is correct?  And I've always been curious to know  what do you use as a source for all of your knowledge?
There is a misunderstanding.

According to http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q67, the minimum roster size during the regular season is indeed 13.  The figure of 12 only pertains to the computation of the salary cap during the offseason.

Thank you both and TPs.  My reason for asking pertains to the Heat this offseason.  Say they have 9 players signed under contract and lets say are at 55 mil.  They are looking to sign a 10th man, but want to know how much they can offer him.  I guess I'm still confused.  How many cap holds do they have where they'd have to pay the penalty if they don't sign somebody? 3 (due to 13 player minimum) or 2 (12 player min)?  It sounds like 12.  But then with what money do they sign the required 13th?

And say they did offer this 10th player the most they could offer him.  Do they now have to only offer their remaining roster fillers the rookie minimum?  Or can they still offer players the vet min?

Hope I was clear.  Thanks in advance!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »

Offline K.J.

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
somebody? 3 (due to 13 player minimum) or 2 (12 player min)?  It sounds like 12.  But then with what money do they sign the required 13th?
The cap holds only pertain to 12 players during the offseason.  Once it has run out of cap space, the Miami Heat could only sign players at the veteran's minimum.

So, the Miami Heat does not have to sign rookies just to fulfill the requirement of 13 when the regular season starts.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 01:34:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There is a misunderstanding.

According to http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q67, the minimum roster size during the regular season is indeed 13.  The figure of 12 only pertains to the computation of the salary cap during the offseason.

Thank you both and TPs.  My reason for asking pertains to the Heat this offseason.  Say they have 9 players signed under contract and lets say are at 55 mil.  They are looking to sign a 10th man, but want to know how much they can offer him.  I guess I'm still confused.  How many cap holds do they have where they'd have to pay the penalty if they don't sign somebody? 3 (due to 13 player minimum) or 2 (12 player min)?  It sounds like 12.  But then with what money do they sign the required 13th?

And say they did offer this 10th player the most they could offer him.  Do they now have to only offer their remaining roster fillers the rookie minimum?  Or can they still offer players the vet min?

Hope I was clear.  Thanks in advance!

Teams at or above the cap can always sign a player to a minimum contract.  People often talk about the "rookie minimum" or the "veteran's minimum", but really, all minimum deals are on a sliding scale based upon service time.  Players with 0 years of experience make the least (around $478k), and players with 10+ years experience can make the most (over $1m).  The only real oddity is that for players with 2+ years experience, only the amount equal to a second year player's minimum is charged against a team's salary cap.

Cap charges for not having enough players are charged at the minimum for a player with no experience.  If they later sign a player for a higher salary than the rookie minimum, that cap charge disappears, and the actual contract amount counts against their cap.

Specifically related to the Heat, after they sign Haslem and Miller, they should be looking at only minimum contracts.  However, they can offer those contracts to vets or rookies.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »

Offline Eat Your Greenys

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
The Celtics would benefit mightily from resigning Big Baby, Davis can rebound and score when called upon. His versatility would help cover up some of the shortcomings of the bench.

We really have no depth for our bench and we can not go forward without addressing some of those issues.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 01:48:04 AM »

Offline Tommy Point God

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 13
I dont think we need baby. What we need is some good talent. We could get JR Smith and keep Green the old diesel and the big 3 together for another year until Dwight's available? Play it by ear?

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 02:13:51 AM »

Offline Cool Username

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 12
Any way we could get Durant after 6 years? 26 year old durant along with 30 year old rondo would be nasty.

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »

Offline Garnett Crushes Gasoft

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 21
I got a feeling Danny's set us up in really good shape to make something big happen. There's lots of possibilities but who knows which way he's goin. The suspense is great

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 11:46:52 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I got a feeling Danny's set us up in really good shape to make something big happen. There's lots of possibilities but who knows which way he's goin. The suspense is great
The Lakers are in a very good position to make something happen. It's setting up for an incredibly interesting off-season.