Author Topic: Papi's place in Boston sports history  (Read 9438 times)

Re: Papi's place in Boston sports history
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Wow, no Russell mentions yet as one of Boston's greatest sports icons?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also, the dude just has presence.

I'm a casual, mostly hereditary Red Sox fan, but there's a palpable electricity in Fenway when he steps up to the plate that's unmatched by any other baseball player I've ever seen in the flesh.

Russel's black. Obviously we're here to talk about Tom Brady, Orr, and Larry Bird. This is Boston we're talking about. Ortiz, you see, is an honorary white guy, because he plays the only major North American sport where white men still have a puncher's chance at success.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
(is that enough to make it clear I'm taking the p---?)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

I'm a casual, mostly hereditary Red Sox fan, but there's a palpable electricity in Fenway when he steps up to the plate that's unmatched by any other baseball player I've ever seen in the flesh.

Russel's black. Obviously we're here to talk about Tom Brady, Orr, and Larry Bird. This is Boston we're talking about. Ortiz, you see, is an honorary white guy, because he plays the only major North American sport where white men still have a puncher's chance at success.

I'll give you one thing, Boston folks are notorious for making a non-race issue, a race issue.

Not too many people here saw Russell play. The OP framed the context from the 80's on, and I threw Orr's name out there just to cover every sport.

Russell is undeniably the center piece of the Mount Rushmore of Boston sports. Ortiz isn’t near that level.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Right there with you.

Also Ted Williams.

I'll give you one thing, Boston folks are notorious for making a non-race issue, a race issue.

Not too many people here saw Russell play. The OP framed the context from the 80's on, and I threw Orr's name out there just to cover every sport.

This is the spirit I took it in as well, but at the same time just goes to show you there are a ton of great Boston athletes through the years.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Hence taking the p---.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Right there with you.

Also Ted Williams.

This is the spirit I took it in as well, but at the same time just goes to show you there are a ton of great Boston athletes through the years.
that's how I took it as well.  also, Williams, Yaz and Rice, though they're Sox legends they weren't as continuously beloved in Boston as Papi has been. 

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

White men don't have a puncher's chance at football or hockey?  Woah. 

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Fair enough, '80s on.  Where's the Truth on that list? 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Papi has a very unique place in Boston sports history.  I think the Pierce analogy is excellent. Hard to do better than that.   Adam Viniateri for being sooooooooooo clutch. So clutch. Like it just doesn't even bother him. 

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 12:10:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I'm putting Manny and Pedro fairly high on that list, as well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Well they are givig him a statue in Boston tomorrow afternoon which is likely why the Red Sox parade is on Saturday so yea, Russell is in the top 3 imo

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 12:33:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Well they are givig him a statue in Boston tomorrow afternoon which is likely why the Red Sox parade is on Saturday so yea, Russell is in the top 3 imo

Stoked to check out the Russell statue sometime this weekend.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Papi's career path is more reminiscent of that of Pierce rather than Bird. I'll still take it.

^^I like this analogy.

A tier below Russell, Bird, Brady (all of whom would be brought up in any discussion of "greatest ever"), but a tier that captures a special place in the hearts of fans of Boston sports teams.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Papi's career path is more reminiscent of that of Pierce rather than Bird. I'll still take it.

^^I like this analogy.

A tier below Russell, Bird, Brady (all of whom would be brought up in any discussion of "greatest ever"), but a tier that captures a special place in the hearts of fans of Boston sports teams.

I'd say its pretty close too. Although ortiz just had an Historic individual world series and was a vital part of 3 championships.

Its tough though it being a different sport and all. Doesnt line up completely so yes pretty good analogy