Author Topic: Celtics (42-21) at Pacers (39-25) Game #64 3/10/20  (Read 32094 times)

Re: Celtics (42-21) at Pacers (39-25) Game #64 3/10/20
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2020, 08:43:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

This is why I hate seeing Celtics players making it into the All-Star game. It's an event where players can get run to the ground, giving opposing teams an advantage throughout the season should the player get injured.
Most years Celtics barely play when they make the game.

FWIW the all-star game unlocked Tatum, just a different dude since making the team and having that relief/recognition.

« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2020, 08:59:28 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

This is why I hate seeing Celtics players making it into the All-Star game. It's an event where players can get run to the ground, giving opposing teams an advantage throughout the season should the player get injured.

FWIW the all-star game unlocked Tatum, just a different dude since making the team and having that relief/recognition.

Stop it, we dont need logic.

« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I never saw an all-star game drive players into the ground until this year.

It's worth like 1/4th of a regular season game normally, and they get a giant break around it.

« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2020, 10:05:51 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

I never saw an all-star game drive players into the ground until this year.

It's worth like 1/4th of a regular season game normally, and they get a giant break around it.

Yes. Its not like Kemba is the only guy who played. Kawhi of all people played as well.

« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2020, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
While Gordon was being interviewed, NBC Sports Boston had this chyron under his face:

I'm actually not against having Hayward off the bench to help the 2nd unit in scoring.

And that's NOT stopping Hayward from playing with the "closing" lineup in the 4th.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
While Gordon was being interviewed, NBC Sports Boston had this chyron under his face:

I'm actually not against having Hayward off the bench to help the 2nd unit in scoring.

And that's NOT stopping Hayward from playing with the "closing" lineup in the 4th.
Or, once everyone is healthy, Stevens can once again use two of Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Kemba with bench players, mitigating any need to insult Hayward by sending him to the bench, getting other vets angry with Stevens over starting an undeserving player in front of the veteran Hayward and needing lots of points coming off the bench.

« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2020, 11:23:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Stevens did that last night. He pulled Tatum at 6 minutes IIRC and then put him back in after Hayward came out around the quarter mark.

This set the stage for Tatum's big second quarter.

« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stevens did that last night. He pulled Tatum at 6 minutes IIRC and then put him back in after Hayward came out around the quarter mark.

This set the stage for Tatum's big second quarter.
Yup. Actually, I have liked Stevens idea of pulling two of Hayward, Tatum, Brown and/or Kemba at the six minute mark of quarters 1 and 3. Meanwhile the other 2 players play the whole quarter. Then things are reversed in quarters 2 and 4.

Example:
1st and 3rd quarter at 6:00 take out Tatum and Hayward, let Kemba and Brown play the whole quarters.

To start quarters 2 and 4, sit Kemba and Brown and play Tatum and Hayward the entire quarter while bringing back Kemba and Brown for the last 6 minutes of the quarters.

« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It doesn't matter who comes off the bench, and who doesn't. Stevens tries to stagger minutes so at least 2 starters are on the floor with the 2nd unit. It's when Brown/Walker is both out, makes matchups tough considering how inexperienced our bench is.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #264 on: March 12, 2020, 02:24:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Or, once everyone is healthy, Stevens can once again use two of Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Kemba with bench players, mitigating any need to insult Hayward by sending him to the bench, getting other vets angry with Stevens over starting an undeserving player in front of the veteran Hayward and needing lots of points coming off the bench.

I really think people overrate this first vs second unit. I feel like it's a fan/media construct particularly this year. As you said most of the time at least 2 of the starters have been on the court with bench players at any time, and Brad has made it clear they are going to be featured when they are on the floor. It's not like we have a situation where we have 5 starters and then later in the quarter they're all on the bench we have 5 bench players. Brad has different units at various stages of the game but there's always a couple of starters with them at all times.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #265 on: March 12, 2020, 03:07:24 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
It doesn't matter who comes off the bench, and who doesn't. Stevens tries to stagger minutes so at least 2 starters are on the floor with the 2nd unit. It's when Brown/Walker is both out, makes matchups tough considering how inexperienced our bench is.

Yeah when people are out Wanamaker gets tons of minutes and that is a huge part of how we are struggling lately.

« Reply #266 on: March 12, 2020, 08:17:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
closed out season on a winning note !

Get well Kemba